Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging at non-Tesla charging stations

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi! Completely new to the Tesla world. Ordered a Model X and trying to figure out charging at non-Tesla stations. When I’m out and about and need to charge, do I need to buy adapters to charge at non-Tesla stations? There are so many - which one do I need to get?? CCS to Tesla adapter? Thanks so much!

Hi! Completely new to the Tesla world. Ordered a Model X and trying to figure out charging at non-Tesla stations. When I’m out and about and need to charge, do I need to buy adapters to charge at non-Tesla stations? There are so many - which one do I need to get?? CCS to Tesla adapter? Thanks so much!
All other chargers will use a different connector for the next year or more. The slow, A/C chargers should use J1772, and your car should have come with on. It's the simplest of the adapters. CCS1 is the other type of connector you could use, with a CCs1-to-NACS adapter. I bought one for about $250 and have never used it. Another plug type is Chademo, used on Nissan Leafs - no adapter for that. Besides adapters, you'll really need apps for each type of charger AND another app or two to help you find those stations. Blink, EVGo, EA, Chargepoint - download them all as you may eventually need one. You are much better off going to Superchargers if you can.

Upvote 0
All other chargers will use a different connector for the next year or more. The slow, A/C chargers should use J1772, and your car should have come with on. It's the simplest of the adapters. CCS1 is the other type of connector you could use, with a CCs1-to-NACS adapter. I bought one for about $250 and have never used it. Another plug type is Chademo, used on Nissan Leafs - no adapter for that. Besides adapters, you'll really need apps for each type of charger AND another app or two to help you find those stations. Blink, EVGo, EA, Chargepoint - download them all as you may eventually need one. You are much better off going to Superchargers if you can.
Thanks so much for the response! So the apps you mentioned all have DIFFERENT types of charging stations, all needing different types of adapters?? This is so overwhelming!

Upvote 0
No, more like different systems for payment, and you need their app to make things work. As for plugs, it's mostly CCS1 for high speed, J1772 for low speed outside the Tesla world. Reliability mostly sucks, and speeds vary from abysmal to fast.

With Tesla supercharging, payment is automatic and tied to your profile which is tied to your car. Plug-n-go is the tech name for this. Other chargers sometimes promise it, but it doesn't work nearly so well as Tesla. Point-of-sale credit card readers are added to non-Tesla chargers, but they seem to have the worst reliability of any component, hence the need for the dedicated apps. Just browse youtube a bit for charging videos. They are very common.

Upvote 0
Thanks so much for the response! So the apps you mentioned all have DIFFERENT types of charging stations, all needing different types of adapters?? This is so overwhelming!

You might want to join your local Facebook group for info on charging in your area.

I only charge at home (on 120v for free) or at superchargers. My recommendation is to charge outside your network only when there's no Tesla SC's in an area. Non Tesla chargers are either free and so slow to not be worth it (20 miles added per hour), or overpriced and unreliable.

Upvote 0
When I’m out and about and need to charge
Need to hone in on this statement and your perception of charging needs. I have driven a model X for over 6 years and never once have I needed a non-Tesla charger. In day-to-day driving, there is no need to charge while out and about. Daily charging at home is more than adequate. While on long trips, the supercharging network is adequate.

Upvote 0
Need to hone in on this statement and your perception of charging needs. I have driven a model X for over 6 years and never once have I needed a non-Tesla charger. In day-to-day driving, there is no need to charge while out and about. Daily charging at home is more than adequate. While on long trips, the supercharging network is adequate.

When traveling through Montana, North Dakota and South Dakota, and veering off Interstate, you need all the help you can get, but otherwise I agree with you. Luckily, I rarely travel west into ND, and never in MT or SD.

Years ago you would have had to arrange charging with friends you met online to drive in those areas. It's a little better now, but not great.

Reactions: scottf200
Upvote 0

Not even close. Glad it’s good where you are but not all areas are like that.

Upvote 0
@towndrunk, I totally understand there are rural areas that can challenge charging an EV. No indication that is the OP’s situation. Seems more likely that as a new-to-be owner that they have envisioned a more complex situation than is necessary.
It's interesting to consider that with home charging, the rural EV owner has the ability to go where the general public can't, since he/she has their own oasis of charging far away from the nearest supercharger. We don't need much that's close to us if we can charge at home, and can be fine with an SC just 100 miles down the road.

Upvote 0
First, relax. I know exactly how you feel - excited about the car, trying to anticipate every need and prepare in advance for any eventuality. I'd refrain from purchasing more than the Tesla mobile charger which includes the J1772 adapter (or did when I got my car).

I think it's very likely that you will find the non Tesla charging systems unnecessary to you (ignore Canadian naysayers - those folks complain about everything but their freezing weather;)) and you will be very thankful for that since many/most are slow, unreliable, inoperative, or name the failure and find it at a non Tesla charging station. They're a PITA most of the time for people in my area who need to use them (owners of other brands). I've got a friend who's had to drive 5 miles off his route only to find the needed charger closed when his charging app told him it was 24 hr.
The car can guide you directly to the nearest Tesla supercharger - as in plan your route place to place using a string of superchargers along your way or just show you your local choices (mine shows over 10 superchargers within 25 miles of my rural home but I'm across the country in southern Washington state.)

There's a supercharge map in the Tesla website. Go there and begin finding out what your situation will be as far as charging away from home.

Plan to charge at home - it's usually a lot less expensive

Upvote 0
First, relax. I know exactly how you feel - excited about the car, trying to anticipate every need and prepare in advance for any eventuality. I'd refrain from purchasing more than the Tesla mobile charger which includes the J1772 adapter (or did when I got my car).

I think it's very likely that you will find the non Tesla charging systems unnecessary to you (ignore Canadian naysayers - those folks complain about everything but their freezing weather;)) and you will be very thankful for that since many/most are slow, unreliable, inoperative, or name the failure and find it at a non Tesla charging station. They're a PITA most of the time for people in my area who need to use them (owners of other brands). I've got a friend who's had to drive 5 miles off his route only to find the needed charger closed when his charging app told him it was 24 hr.
The car can guide you directly to the nearest Tesla supercharger - as in plan your route place to place using a string of superchargers along your way or just show you your local choices (mine shows over 10 superchargers within 25 miles of my rural home but I'm across the country in southern Washington state.)

There's a supercharge map in the Tesla website. Go there and begin finding out what your situation will be as far as charging away from home.

Helpful! Thanks!!

Reactions: ken_neth
Upvote 0

Be sure to check out supercharge.info map as it shows some upcoming (permitted) and under construction ones as well as open.
Be amazed by the changes/additions here too: supercharge.info [changes]

Reactions: paulkva
Upvote 0
I have a 2022 MX. Yesterday I bought a CCS to Tesla adapter, so today I tried to use it at at ChargePoint charger. The ChargePoint connected with my app but the vehicle would not accept the charge. It kept saying that the adapter wasn't connected even though it was connected. I'm unsure what is wrong. The adapter seemed to fit perfectly into the port and the CCS part inserted perfectly into the adapter. However, there is a small, thin prong (see photo) immediately above the male part of the adapter. The prong depresses about 1/2" when the adapter is pushed into the port of the car. Is this normal? I assume the prong makes sure the adapter is inserted the proper distance into the car. Should I shave off a little of the prong so the male part will insert further? The car software says it is configured for charging with CCS.

Attachments

• IMG_1135.jpg
    IMG_1135.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_1136.jpg
    IMG_1136.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
Upvote 0
For US driving the SC network is by far the best. (Canada I have to use CHAdeMo sometimes). Plot your route in PlugShare or A Better Route Planner and see if there any any advantages with non-Tesla.

I’ve driven c. 80,000 mile in 26 states and never used a non-SC. A few years ago I tested my ChaDemo. Failed four locations,(0% success) so I stopped even trying in the USA. May be more reliable now.

Reactions: Bigriver
Upvote 0
shave off a little of the prong
Don’t do that - it’s part of a locking mechanism so the CCS1 charger is not forcibly/involuntarily removed from the adapter.

Try another CCS1 charging station, like one with EA. Third party stations are notorious for being down and unable to charge. Or ask someone else to try your adapter.

Just noticed you have a third party adapter; so it may be that 🤷‍♂️
I have and use a Tesla adapter with no issues.

Reactions: towndrunk
Upvote 0