Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charger solution on private car parking space

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I would definitely point out to both them and the OC that you are trying to help the environment and they are forcing you to seek publicity with a view to changing their unfair obstructions. The installation you do will be undertaken by a licensed electrician according to EMSD guidelines (and provide them the guidelines).

Will consider about your suggestions, thanks Mark

Oh, I though they already approved your installation.

About this fairness issue, I am proposing to OC that they 1)announce my application to all owners and see if anyone against my installation or who also want to do installation, 2) if no one oppose and less than 4 applicants, they should approve all applications; if over 4, then lucky draw to see who gets the quota, 3) if late comers are willing to spend money to upgrade the building's capacity from 4 to let say 20, the 4 early birds should share the expenses with those late comers.

Yes they've approved... just to say I had that problem before and their reasons behind.

They'll send out the circular to everyone soon and should be ok.

My charger is still sitting in the box waiting :-(

With all the reading from this great forum, I am still struggling to get the charging solution sorted out.

I have been looking at the MS for a very long time, and test drove it last week in Disneyland, I can tell I definitely want one. However, my parking at home is just a rented floating space, and when I call the Management Office, they said they are not going to help me sorted it, as installing a charger means designating a carpark space, and it will become unfair to other monthly parkers.

I really want to know if other members have experience on it, and if I can sort this out, I think I am going to go for the MS.

Cheers.

With all the reading from this great forum, I am still struggling to get the charging solution sorted out.

I have been looking at the MS for a very long time, and test drove it last week in Disneyland, I can tell I definitely want one. However, my parking at home is just a rented floating space, and when I call the Management Office, they said they are not going to help me sorted it, as installing a charger means designating a carpark space, and it will become unfair to other monthly parkers.

I really want to know if other members have experience on it, and if I can sort this out, I think I am going to go for the MS.

Cheers.

So when you get home, do you just park wherever there's an open spot?

@mchk, yes. I just park at anyone of the vacant space in the carpark.

I tried a lot of other thinking but still hard to find a suggestion to propose to the MO to make this charing capability happened. Arg !!

Does your rent include 1 parking spot?

I guess mine is different. We have a numbered spot, and that spot is included in my lease. It's part of my rent.

And my neighbor doesn't have a car, but he knows someone who has a 2nd car so he sub-leases his spot to make some extra cash.

I'm wondering if your rent guarantees you 1 parking spot, but that's it...just 1 space..ANY space. Maybe check out the wording in the lease.

Could you ask to pay for a fixed spot? Offer them a few $$$ a month if you can get a fixed spot?

Kind of hard to get it done if you don't have a fixed spot (it is not easy even if you own a fixed) How about your parking near your office? If you work at Central/Admiralty, there are 4 public parkings with charging outlets. I was told by EV Power each of them will have 6 32-amp outlets in June. 32-amp should gives you 24-30km per hour of charging.

Welcome to the forums, msxsnow! I hope you make the "right choice", and I am confident there will be electrons for everyone! Remember the car has a range of 500 km, and given HKs geography you might not need to charge at home, also depending on your habits, job etc.

Where I live, they are looking at installing something like 10 bays, then setting up a system of payment, either octopus, or you rent a key to activate it or - something along these lines. Maybe even a fixed monthly fee for using any of the spots, though I think that is not the best solution.

These spots would be for any EV with access to the car park, and there would be signs blocking the spots againstCE cars saying EVs only (as required, some could be ICE/EV shared spots, as I think so far I'm the only one with an EV on order). Visitors with EVs could use the spots too, though, and selecting the spots furthers from the exit will probably help to keep them "de-ICEd". We don't have private spots, as floating spots will give more capacity (it's a club type facility, and with functions, restaurants, fitness/sports and more). Obviously, they need to look for broad EV charging solutions and not Tesla or other brand specific chargers.

Remember when WiFi wasn't being offered at hotels, restaurants and other public places? Now it has become part of sales criteria, like does the hotel have a pool, gym, spa, bar, parking ... and wifi? Soon, they could add EV charging to the list of offered services. "Come dine/stay/shop here, we have EV charging in our parking lot".

The management where I live have to answer to the owner-group, and their policies, besides all the technical and legal obstacles, so there are all reasons it could fail. When HK government mandate or promote EV charging spots (which they have to if they are really serious about cleaner air in HK!), then it should all speed up!

Last edited:
Thanks for all your comments, really giving me courage and confidence to fight with the MO.

@mchk, I don't think a fix spot is possible, only if I rent from other carpark owners instead from the estate developer like now. And there is no option to pay more for a fixed spot.

Charging at my work place is also not feasible, as my work parking is only a "Daily Park" charge carpark. and it's just an old industrial building, which I don't think the carpark operator will even bother to help a daily park customer.

I think what I'll do now is try to raise an official request to my MO first, with the B&W conversation flow in record, in case one day they decided to add this capability to the carpark, I would be on the list for it.

Cheers and Thanks for mchk, sonywong and DITB !

DITB, when you mentioned "where you live, they are looking at installing something like 10 bays" did you mean the Gold Coast complex? Because it seems I might not be able to install anything here at my estate in Tsuen Wan, so if there will be 32A bays in Gold Coast, I may have to charge there at times even if it means I have to pay for parking for hours.

Question: Do installations in apartment complexes attached to the apartment’s meter need to use a box similar to EV power (EVC-32N) or can the Tesla chargers be used in these semi-public spaces? My estate’s management office is meeting on Wednesday to approve EV vehicle charging in the apartment blocks and I’m trying to get additional facts together for the meeting.

Now that we know that Tesla will supply the 40 amp single phase connector initially with the cars it seems that the requirement for the EV Power box is no longer necessary from a technical perspective. Does anyone have experience from a legal or power company viewpoint if the EV power box is required since it will be in a semi-public place?

The cost difference is meaningful:

EV Power proposed solution is similar to the posting in #42 on this thread.

EV Power box: HK$25-$30k

EV Power wiring for box: HK$14k

Total EV Power solution is around HK$40k-$45k.

If I just need to install the wiring and use the supplied Tesla charger the cost is around HK$15k. With the right size wiring (4 x 10mmsq + ground 10mmsq ground) and switch gear I should be able to upgrade to the 80A 1ph or 32A 3ph when it becomes available. I ordered dual chargers.

My preference is to go with the Tesla charger if that is permissible.

If anyone has experience on the above I would be grateful for their shared insight.
Also, does anyone know of the difference between the EV Power EVC-32N and EVC-32NT units? I have not received a response from EV Power on the differences between these models.

Context:

- I rent my apartment and an assigned parking space comes with it.

- Access to the car park by car must go through pass code protected barriers. Parking are walk in entry is secured by one card access point or password control. The general public cannot just walk in.

- My landlord is a car enthusiast and very supportive. He is also very influential on the owner’s committee.

- The management office is very supportive and believes that the approvals shouldn’t be a problem. Will know more by Thursday.

- There are two other apartments that are seeking approval at this meeting. Other Tesla owners?

- The cable run from my meter to the car park is 60 meters. There will be some voltage drop.

- I plan on building an enclosure around the Tesla charger to hold the cable so it isn’t hanging loose or is a hazard.
- With the EV power box it appears the cable is detachable and is carried in the car or could be stored in a separate cabinet. Is that a valid assumption?

Ebill,

If you don't own your apartment/parking space, I believe a manufacturer independent solution like EV Power is much preferred by the owners committee and/or landlord. You have a very good argument by telling them, the EV Power box is compatible with all common EV charging standards. Besides, they are recommended by most car brands in HK and did and do many public installations in HK. I used this argument to convince my management to allow me to "upgrade" my 13A BS1363 sockets to 32A 380V 3-phase.
Definitely go for the EVC-32NT box, which gives you a max of 20.7kW charging power, once Tesla releases 3-phase charging in their firmware (probably early next year). Of course you need to have 3-phase supply at your carpark. EV Power can check that, like they did for me. The EVC-32N box gives you just 7.04KW charging power.
The cable is detachable from the EV Power box and I will store it in the car.

Although the whole installation process from EV Power took almost 3 month, so far I'm pleased with their job. However the final verdict will come, after Tesla and BMW will come for a charging test around this weekend.

Vmax,

Many thanks for your quick reply. I appreciate the tip on the EVC032NT box. I do have 3 phase power available at my apartment. It will require rebalancing the load once the larger charger is available.
I initially was thinking along the same lines as you mention, particularly back in February when we ordered the cars and the Tesla solution wasn't clear at that time. Since then there have been a few additional inputs. Apologies as I should have listed them in my original note.

My landlord has required that when I move I remove the wire, charger and any connections since a parking space comes with the apartment and he doesn't want the maintenance calls, liability, etc. from subsequent tenants. The management office also will only approve solutions wired to each apartment meter as they rejected setting up any public places to charge. The MO wants to avoid disputes between tenants and potentially guests about who is entitled to park and use public charging spaces and for how long - a Leaf takes less time to charge potentially than a Tesla. In summary, both the landlord and MO office prefer the solution to be a personal charging solution at assigned parking spaces versus a public charging solution. So that brings the new option and a decision.

I would be willing to install the EV Power solution if there was a potential to leave it there when I move or have others use it. As that is not the case, I would prefer the lower cost Tesla solution unless there is a known legal requirement or one from CLP requiring EV Power in such locations.

That is unless he buys a Tesla a decides to charge it at my spot instead of at his house.

Is the space owned by your landlord, or the building? That is the definition of private vs public.

Anyway, so long as the Tesla wall connector is approved for HK electrical standards, I see no difference between it and the EV power unit. As pointed out, the EV Power unit would be preferable for public charging, as it supports charging vehicles with other than type 2 IEC connectors. But, the Tesla charger is an IEC type 2 EVSE and will support cars with that connector (not just Tesla Model S). If this equipment is being put in by you, solely for your use, and removed when you leave, then I think it would be a reasonable request for you to install whatever you choose (so long as it meets electrical codes).

I talked my office complex owner into installing a 240 charger in our parking lot for me to use. They did it for free and will not charge me for it's use. They are forward thinking, green and the site/building was built to Leed standards. They ever installed solar panels over the covered parking area.

We are in the home building business and also build green and have the 1st Zero Net Energy home built in central California. We will be doing testing over the next year. The home is designed to produce as much energy as it uses... gas and electric!