Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charger Etiquette: OK to Unplug Once Complete?

Is it OK to unplug an EV from a charger when it's done?

• Unplug it!

Votes: 26 83.9%
  • No, that's rude!

Votes: 5 16.1%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was leaving from SFO on Tue and needed a charge and the only open spot had a charger that was plugged into a different Model S in the adjacent spot (multiple spots share one charger at SFO). The charger display said "Power reduced, charging complete or paused", so the Tesla was done. OK to unplug the charger and use it?

Normally I would say not to unplug, but an airport is a different situation. The economy lot at LAX has a large bank of level 2 charger with really, really long cords. That allows people to swap out plugs as needed over about three parking spot lengths so it's easier to share. When I left I was plugged into one unit and when I came back someone had swapped me over to another charger, which I appreciated.

Now, if there is signage that you must be plugged in, then unplugging someone else risks giving them a ticket, so I would not unplug in that situation.

I was leaving from SFO on Tue and needed a charge and the only open spot had a charger that was plugged into a different Model S in the adjacent spot (multiple spots share one charger at SFO). The charger display said "Power reduced, charging complete or paused", so the Tesla was done. OK to unplug the charger and use it?
if the car is not using a adaptor you will not be able to unplug it

Absolutely ok in this case.

At my work there is a single level 2 charger and a Chevy Volt uses it as his personal parking space. I go down at lunch and confirm from the volts dash light and the charger status that he's done charging and unplug to plug my car in when I need the charge. The volts alarm beeps for a few seconds after you unplug it unfortunately.

Absolutely ok in this case.

At my work there is a single level 2 charger and a Chevy Volt uses it as his personal parking space. I go down at lunch and confirm from the volts dash light and the charger status that he's done charging and unplug to plug my car in when I need the charge. The volts alarm beeps for a few seconds after you unplug it unfortunately.
would it be hard to enlighten the volt owner that the space is a charging space and not a parking space?

recently I was at a restaurant in CA that had 2 destination chargers. one was iced by a pick up and one had a tesla parked nose in and was using as a parking space. after I thanked the manager for having the units installed I learned that both cars were owned by employees, I alerted him to the fact that the chargers are useless if blocked like that his response was to come inside and they'd move one of the cars, apparently they had an ICING issue and this was their method of solving the problem.