Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charge Port Door remains locked even when phone is near

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There's a bug with Model 3 - if car is locked, charge door wouldn't open even when phone key is near. I have to explicitly unlock the car from the phone or open the door first - then charge door opens. Manual clearly states the charge door should work just like another door and unlock when phone is near. Tesla service rep first didn't realize this feature was described in the manual, then told me to basically "get over it".
Anyway to report these defects to Tesla so they maybe resolved in the software update?

There's a bug with Model 3 - if car is locked, charge door wouldn't open even when phone key is near. I have to explicitly unlock the car from the phone or open the door first - then charge door opens. Manual clearly states the charge door should work just like another door and unlock when phone is near. Tesla service rep first didn't realize this feature was described in the manual, then told me to basically "get over it".
Anyway to report these defects to Tesla so they maybe resolved in the software update?

Yeah, this happens often sadly. If you open the trunk or especially a door first it will “wake up” the charge port and you will be able to open it with the button. <shrug> a minor annoyance once you figure out the workarounds.

The behavior has varied a bit from software version to version. I am not sure it is solvable or not with the current hardware. It makes me wonder if they are fighting vampire drain. Leaving on the receiver for that wireless signal may be too much draw so they shut it down until the car is unlocked?

• Funny
Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
There's a bug with Model 3 - if car is locked, charge door wouldn't open even when phone key is near. I have to explicitly unlock the car from the phone or open the door first - then charge door opens

Definitely normal and annoying. Rather than get my phone out I usually just open the trunk or a door.

I have not really paid close attention, but I believe if the car is in idle mode rather than sleep, with the HV battery connected via the contactors, the charge door will open. But I could be wrong about that.

I do wonder if it is a design oversight or whether it is software, because it has been this way for a long time...

Reactions: eprosenx
And to "open a door", you don't actually have to open the door. Reach over to the rear passenger door and just partially open the door handle. Opening the handle about halfway won't actually open the door, but will be enough to wake the car up.

You can also activate the climate control a couple minutes before heading to the car to wake it up if heating/cooling the car would be helpful.

I'm 99.9% sure this is a hardware problem that they can't fix in software. It's been a bug ever since they removed the automatic wake when you approached the car (which caused horrible vampire drain for people who were often near their car while inside their house). The car can wake on pushing the door latch or trunk button but not the charge port.

• Helpful
Reactions: eprosenx