Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Changing Delivery Dates

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just information in case anyone is interested. I am an east coast current owner with a 3/31/16 reservation date. My date for an awd Model 3 was spring 2018, but has now pushed out to "July to Sept." I was going to hold out for awd, but I think we may not see those for quite some time. I'm also starting to really think the base car is an incredible deal.

Reactions: tony b
AWD (with air suspension models) have been announced not before H2 2018, so yes even early reservation holder will have to wait. For current owners w/ early reservation in the East that are willing to take the first fully loaded RWD, earliest date seems to be Oct-Dec 2017 (that is my case). Although I'd take AWD in an heartbeat, I will not wait that long including as it means missing on the full tax credit ;-)

I too have a Oct.-Dec. 2017 delivery estimate. Shouldn't we be getting an invitation to configure our cars soon if one could get delivered next month?

Production planning for the 3 is dramatically easier, ergo, the time between configuration and delivery can be dramatically shorter. There's no reason people should expect the lead times of the S & X to apply to the 3 until the 3 has substantially more choices in terms of hardware differences, e.g. the white interior, the smaller battery, the non-premium package, etc. Instead, they're all the same except for color and wheels right now so production batching is trivial.

Just delivering the cars to the East Coast will take a few weeks and I bet they don't build until the car is configured. Folks are probably given a week to finalize their order without delivery delay. If October delivery is real, they have little time to make that happy.

There should be invitations to configure very soon. If we don't have configuration e-mails in two weeks, they are behind.

• Disagree
Reactions: EinSV
If we don't have configuration e-mails in two weeks, they are behind.

That seems presumptuous. It's a three month window, so "October to December" doesn't necessarily have to mean "definitely october" and for all any of us know, that could mean "west coast is the first month, middle america is the second month, and east coast is the third month".

Or it could mean

I'm also a first reserver, current owner, but on the east coast and my estimate for AWD is also Jun-Aug 2018.

Geography (within the US) doesn't seem to be playing much of a part unless it is going to factor when in that 3 month window you get yours.

I am a non-owner, line-waiter, really close to the factory and I have Nov17-Jan18 First Production, Jan18-Mar18 Standard Battery, Jul18-Sep18 AWD.
So basically one month after existing owners regardless of where they are located.

That seems presumptuous. It's a three month window, so "October to December" doesn't necessarily have to mean "definitely october" and for all any of us know, that could mean "west coast is the first month, middle america is the second month, and east coast is the third month".

Or it could mean

I believe Must has said it will be CA, then West Coast, then East Coast, then middle america.

That said, I don't think that's how it's going based on the reported windows. It really does look like the Oct. to December window (or whatever 3 month range you've got) is an actual estimate of when you'll get it. So if you're CA Tesla owner with a window of Oct to Dec, you might get it in Oct but very well might get it in Dec if some delays happen. Oct is best case scenario, and Dec is the worst case estimate, but I'm sure it could very well get delayed beyond that but Tesla thinks it very unlikely (because otherwise they would have just given a broader window).

I did a 3/31/2016 reservation and already own an S. I'm told I'm in the Oct-Dec 2017 delivery timeframe.

Here's the question:
Let's say I get an email invite soon to do the configurator, but I don't want to, I wanna hold off until some point in 2018. Will I be penaized? Will I "lose my place in line" as it were? Or can I just do the configurator when I want, and Tesla will honor my place in line?

In prior programs, you could wait on the reservation I think. Another thing is that you can place your order and ask your OA to push the delivery date. On my prior orders you had options on when you wanted it delivered. I took the latest possible delivery and pushed it twice. I think I got 6 months of delay on my last Model S purchase and finally got an inventory model about a year ago when they had blow-out discounts.

As a non-owner, I am chiming in another word of dissatisfaction that existing owners who didn't pre-order until recently get to cut in front of us non-owner line waiters.
Sure, I can see existing owners (as of 3/31/16) who waited in line on 3/31/16 getting first dibs, but when I see people who just bought a Model S and then also decide to get a Model 3 now jump ahead it stings.
They didn't have the "leap of faith" of ordering before seeing or knowing any details. It feels like a slap rather than a token of appreciation.
There... I got that off my chest... Now back to patiently waiting...

As a non-owner, I am chiming in another word of dissatisfaction that existing owners who didn't pre-order until recently get to cut in front of us non-owner line waiters.
Sure, I can see existing owners (as of 3/31/16) who waited in line on 3/31/16 getting first dibs, but when I see people who just bought a Model S and then also decide to get a Model 3 now jump ahead it stings.
They didn't have the "leap of faith" of ordering before seeing or knowing any details. It feels like a slap rather than a token of appreciation.
I agree, however I believe the number of those scenarios will be pretty small or small enough to not have a significant impact.

Reactions: EinSV

I believe their motivation for that decision is part altruistic, and part selfish.

The altruistic part is: "Hey. let's give all current Tesla owners a bump in priority because they love us so much they already bought a car.. they love us.. and we love them... wheeeee".

The selfish part. "Gee, wouldn't it be great if we let all the current Tesla owners iron out the bugs for us before we *REALLY* crank up production.. They're so much more forgiving see... since they already own a Tesla and will be prone to confirmation bias!!!"

Reactions: UrsS