Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CHAdeMO Initial Impressions...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
> I was thinking of some sort of strap that could hook on the handle, then inside the trunk. It should be pretty easy to rig something up. [liuping]

If you tie a string temporarily as described then you can balance the whole enchilada on your outstretched index finger, i.e no twisting force on the charge socket. Kinda like when you park at just the right distance with the SpC plug. Got some string?
--

If it breaks the charge port, I'm just going to call Tesla and they're going to replace it since it would be their design flaw. So, not really going to worry.

But again, I don't think it's heavy enough to cause concern. The supercharger cables are pretty heavy, and they usually have to be turned and such to make it into the port which puts some torque and weight on it too.

Not concerned either way, especially since I won't be using it often anyway (probably a few times per year).

If it breaks the charge port, I'm just going to call Tesla and they're going to replace it since it would be their design flaw. So, not really going to worry.

But again, I don't think it's heavy enough to cause concern. The supercharger cables are pretty heavy, and they usually have to be turned and such to make it into the port which puts some torque and weight on it too.

Not concerned either way, especially since I won't be using it often anyway (probably a few times per year).

I have similar feedback. it doesn't seem to be an issue, and the CHAdeMO ports look a lot heavier than they actually are. It doesn't seem to be creating undue pressure.

I received my Chademo adapter today, so I took it for a spin. The charger I went to was an evGo one. I signed up for the eVGo network a few days ago, but hadn't received my RFID card yet, so when I got to the charger, I just called the 800 number, gave them the station ID printed on the station and they enabled it for me.

Here's a picture of the station, a slim Nissan unit.

ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1424844401.544754.jpg

Here's the name plate at the back:

ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1424844474.617735.jpg

True to its rating, I was pulling 41kW from the unit (according to the car). For this test I ran it for 15 minutes. Nothing got warm, just some some warm air blowing out the back of the pedestal from three muffin fans.

The only catch was locking the bulky chademo handle to the adapter. This type of handle has a lever that is used to lock them together. So fit the pieces together and then squeeze the level/trigger to lock them together.

As far as weight is concerned, I'm not worried. The Tesla connector can handle it.

All in all, a very straightforward experience. Thanks, Tesla!

Two stalls share one cabinet. If you plug in as the first car and you're empty you will get 120 kW. If a second car comes, it will get some of the power....
There's some nuance here that shouldn't be overlooked. It depends upon whether the second car happens to choose the "worst possible choice" for slots at the supercharger. At sites with 2 supercharger plugs, this is 100% likelihood. Most sites have more than 2 plugs though.

- - - Updated - - -

When I compare the various "standard" DC fast chargers to Tesla it looks like all but the Tesla design were done by people who wanted EVs to fail.
View attachment 73347
That's one conclusion. Others include incompetence, lack of interest or concern for user experience, and over-concern for "zomg electricity scary".

Nissan helping out?

There's some nuance here that shouldn't be overlooked. It depends upon whether the second car happens to choose the "worst possible choice" for slots at the supercharger. At sites with 2 supercharger plugs, this is 100% likelihood. Most sites have more than 2 plugs though.

- - - Updated - - -

I see that a CHadeMO station has been installed in downtown Huntsville, AL; I read it was donated to the city by Nissan. There is not a fee to use the charging station itself, but you have to pay $2 per hour for the parking space while charging. If true, sounds like this is a good deal for users. (I wonder - is this an uncommon way of provisioning these units, or are other cities doing this?)

Agreed. Or, more likely, you're just seeing the difference between something that was designed by engineers vs. something that was designed by designers.

For sure. This kind of technology does not have to be ugly. Imagine what an iPhone would look like if were designed by the people who designed the CHAmeDO and other chargers pictured. Tesla clearly gave serious thought to aesthetics when it designed its plug. Cheers!