Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CCS Combo 2 retrofit

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,

I just did a CCS Combo 2 retrofit on my 2017 Model S 100D.

I requested the retrofit vie the phone APP, in a few days got I got a pro-forma invoice for the job: total cost (including VAT) CHF 300,00.
proforma.jpg

Approved it, and a few days later got a call from Gianni, my local ranger, to confirm a meeting at my office place for Friday 9th Oct.

Gianni is the BEST ranger ever, always competent and kind; I already received his services 3 times in the past, and I’m 100% satisfied.

Upon arrival, he disconnected the main battery, installed a super-cool light over the rear seats, and removed the rear couch.
disconnect.jpg

light.jpg

removed.jpg

Then he installed a small electronic PCB and connected it through a new cabling to the battery (no pictures unfortunately, ranger asked not to take them).
notes.jpg

Then he repositioned rear couch, removed light and reconnected main battery. Immediately after the car restarted he connected his laptop to the MCU, installed a new software version and staged the update.

Total job took less than 1 hour.

I already tested the new CCS Combo 2 connector at a supercharger, and it works perfectly. Only care is to first attach connector to the car, and then connect the charging cable. Remember to remove connector from cable after charging.

Overall, I am very satisfied by this retrofit for both the functionality, the cost and the marvellous service from Gianni the ranger.

The retrofit is about enabling the car to work with an adapter ? Are they not changing the charge port to allow for the CCS combo ? I guess it would mean changing the tail light possibly ?

The S&X have to use an adapter to use a CCS charger. There is no new charge port. (I don't think one would even fit in the same area, it would have to be done as something like a gas-filler door in the rear quarter panel. (What they have done on the S&Xs for China where they the GBT ports are required.)

I already tested the new CCS Combo 2 connector at a supercharger, and it works perfectly. Only care is to first attach connector to the car, and then connect the charging cable. Remember to remove connector from cable after charging.

Order does not matter, you can first connect the adapter to the cable and then plug it in. At least that's how I have been using it all the time. :) The adapter has a mysterious double locking mechanism, it grabs into both car and the cable while charging! But when not charging, it can be removed (or plugged in) either way.

It is very easy to forget it, yeah. It's perhaps a good idea to add a phone number or something, so you have a chance to get it back when you forget it. :)

This is a very good idea. I'll label mine immediately!
Another good way, I put my J1772 Adapter in a small bag that contains my different charge system cards. When I remove the adapter from the bag to charge, I set the bag on the dash, behind the steering wheel. The bag acts as a reminder to collect the adapter. This keeps me from forgetting to put the adapter in the bag, when charging session is complete.

• Helpful
Reactions: SO16
@f205v @Jan Fiala I use supercharge.info to follow SC progress. If you check Perigueux or Les Herbiers for example, the last 2 SC to have opened. Neither show on my in-car map. They both are listed on supercharge.info and more importantly on Tesla SC map. @Jan Fiala if they do show on your end, I might go and get the upgrade. I do not need it today but I plan on keeping the car many years and have free SC...