Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CCS Adapter for North America

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Agree 100%. There is no way this is a supply chain issue. It is a passive adapter made up of some pieces of injection molded plastics and a few copper conductors. Not really rocket science to manufacture or need any electronics that may be in short supply. There is definitely something else going on.
Given it is in limited release even in Korea, I don't know how you can make that assumption. Keep in mind even if raw materials are available, the contract/subcontract manufacturers also add limitations to supply.

And for the US case, it's not only the adapter, it's also the CCS chip in the car, which we know that there is a supply issue (that's why there was a batch of recent cars that did not support them in the first place!). It would be a disaster if Tesla releases this in the US without a huge supply of CCS chips (given they not only have to retrofit the recent batch that was missing the chips, they also have to retrofit older ones). If you think the current hand wringing is bad even before official release in the US, wait until that happens.

Agree 100%. There is no way this is a supply chain issue. It is a passive adapter made up of some pieces of injection molded plastics and a few copper conductors. Not really rocket science to manufacture or need any electronics that may be in short supply. There is definitely something else going on.
Tesla is trying to convince the Biden administration to use part of the $7.5 billion government subsidies to install Tesla Proprietary Connectors (TPC).

If the CCS adapter is available, then Tesla's argument gets thrown out the window.

And for the US case, it's not only the adapter, it's also the CCS chip in the car, which we know that there is a supply issue (that's why there was a batch of recent cars that did not support them in the first place!). It would be a disaster if Tesla releases this in the US without a huge supply of CCS chips (given they not only have to retrofit the recent batch that was missing the chips, they also have to retrofit older ones). If you think the current hand wringing is bad even before official release in the US, wait until that happens.
You are referring to cars that were build before a certain date (November 2021?) that aren't CCS enable and require retrofit, correct? Any cars built after this would benefit from a CCS adapter (as they are CCS ready). Given the relatively small number of cars that are CCS ready, the demand shouldn't outstrip supply (it will initially, as we will probably crash the Tesla Shop ordering these).

Reactions: DrGriz
. It would be a disaster if Tesla releases this in the US without a huge supply of CCS chips (given they not only have to retrofit the recent batch that was missing the chips, they also have to retrofit older ones).
I don’t see any sort of impending disaster if they release it here. Some Tesla cars could use them right away, and be of great benefit to the owners. Others weren’t set up CCS compatible and need modification to use it. I would love it if Tesla felt obliged to refit incompatible cars at no cost but who thinks that’s going to happen. I don’t recall ever seeing it listed as included when I bought the car.

Tesla is trying to convince the Biden administration to use part of the $7.5 billion government subsidies to install Tesla Proprietary Connectors (TPC).

If the CCS adapter is available, then Tesla's argument gets thrown out the window.
What the heck is Tesla's argument? That Teslas "need" the TPC in order to charge? That argument has no leg to stand on, given that EVHub has already released an adapter, and furthermore, the spirit of the law is that all vehicles should be able to use the stations that are funded by public money. So Tesla would have a much better argument if they released an official TPC to CHAdeMO and TPC to CCS adapter that allows any EV with DC fast charging to use Tesla Superchargers with TPC connectors.

You are referring to cars that were build before a certain date (November 2021?) that aren't CCS enable and require retrofit, correct? Any cars built after this would benefit from a CCS adapter (as they are CCS ready). Given the relatively small number of cars that are CCS ready, the demand shouldn't outstrip supply (it will initially, as we will probably crash the Tesla Shop ordering these).
Interesting idea. Tesla.com is already checking the VINs for orders in S Korea. In theory, this should allow them to sell adapters only to owners of cars with compatible CCS chips.

What the heck is Tesla's argument? That Teslas "need" the TPC in order to charge? That argument has no leg to stand on, given that EVHub has already released an adapter, and furthermore, the spirit of the law is that all vehicles should be able to use the stations that are funded by public money. So Tesla would have a much better argument if they released an official TPC to CHAdeMO and TPC to CCS adapter that allows any EV with DC fast charging to use Tesla Superchargers with TPC connectors.

Moreover, given that the adapter was already listed in the retrofit kit tells me this has nothing to do with Canadian/US certification.

Note, this listing has been subsequently pulled (no longer listed).

It would be a disaster for customer service as people would start requesting retrofits, which directly puts a load on their CS and service centers. Right now the handwringing is on the forums, which does not impact Tesla CS and SC resources.

It would be a disaster for customer service as people would start requesting retrofits, which directly puts a load on their CS and service centers. Right now the handwringing is on the forums, which does not impact Tesla CS and SC resources.
Not really any different than my pestering of Tesla on where the heck the CCS1 adapter is and their non-committal response of "its coming"

I don’t see any sort of impending disaster if they release it here. Some Tesla cars could use them right away, and be of great benefit to the owners. Others weren’t set up CCS compatible and need modification to use it. I would love it if Tesla felt obliged to refit incompatible cars at no cost but who thinks that’s going to happen. I don’t recall ever seeing it listed as included when I bought the car.
It's not about no cost retrofits (there would likely be a cost), but rather people who buy but without the chip and then asking Tesla to retrofit. Tesla needs to be prepared for that demand with parts (or it'll be another service disaster). And if Tesla officially releases this while not allowing ones without the chip to order, you can bet there would be plenty of complaints that will directly impact their CS (not just complaints on forums, given the adapter would be officially out).

Right now demand is a small niche mainly because it's not even officially released here. The hand wringing is limited to forums and not directly to Tesla CS or SCs. If Tesla releases this in the US before they have a good supply of CCS chips, all they would be doing is shooting themselves in the foot and creating a self inflicted PR disaster.

Given it is in limited release even in Korea, I don't know how you can make that assumption. Keep in mind even if raw materials are available, the contract/subcontract manufacturers also add limitations to supply.
It is an injection molded part. What takes time is making the tool the first time. Once that is done you can manufacture thousands a day if you wanted to. It is not like the adapter from Ukraine that is machined. In my mind Tesla is deliberately limiting supply.

It is an injection molded part. What takes time is making the tool the first time. Once that is done you can manufacture thousands a day if you wanted to. It is not like the adapter from Ukraine that is machined. In my mind Tesla is deliberately limiting supply.
I was wondering the exact same thing. I would assume that EVHub is sourcing from somewhere other than the Taiwanese plant that Tesla Korea is using. Anyone know if they were building the casings, etc in Ukraine?

It's not about no cost retrofits (there would likely be a cost), but rather people who buy but without the chip and then asking Tesla to retrofit. Tesla needs to be prepared for that demand with parts (or it'll be another service disaster). And if Tesla officially releases this while not allowing ones without the chip to order, you can bet there would be plenty of complaints that will directly impact their CS (not just complaints on forums, given the adapter would be officially out).

Right now demand is a small niche mainly because it's not even officially released here. The hand wringing is limited to forums and not directly to Tesla CS or SCs. If Tesla releases this in the US before they have a good supply of CCS chips, all they would be doing is shooting themselves in the foot and creating a self inflicted PR disaster.
How difficult will the retrofit be for vehicles that don’t have the chip? I am not asking rhetorically but actually inquiring if anyone knows. Assuming the new chip were available, are we talking about a 20 minute operation for each vehicle to swap it in and test it? 1 hr? 2hrs? More?

It's actually a bit more complex than that. Unlike the Tesla J1772 adapter, there is a moving part in the Tesla CCS adapter (the little pin that sticks out that locks it, which is not present in the Ukraine one), which I imagine requires assembly of some sort.

And even for injection molded parts I'm doubtful it is as easy as you say, given even the things like the 14-50 adapter they sometimes have a hard time keeping in stock.

You are referring to cars that were build before a certain date (November 2021?) that aren't CCS enable and require retrofit, correct? Any cars built after this would benefit from a CCS adapter (as they are CCS ready).
No, it is not that straightforward, unfortunately. It is not as simple as you are describing with only one transition date, and cars before versus after.

Tesla started adding them to some cars for a while, but then did literally run out and had to go back to cars not having them again for a period of time, and then at another point, got stock again, and was able to start including them again. So it's like three transition dates, with the inclusion status going through: NO, YES, NO, YES