Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CCS Adapter for North America

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My point was that the native Tesla charging port is so svelte, while those other ones look so clunky. :D

That’s true, but Type 2 is less clunky than many, and Tesla needed a solution for Europe that supported three phase charging since virtually all businesses and most homes apparently have that available and it’s much faster than single phase for a given wire size.

This is the European Model S charge port.

This is the European Model 3 charge port.

This is the North American Model S charge port.

This is the North American Model 3 charge port

The adapters needed for North American cars are completely different than European cars. Both because the Tesla proprietary port is different in North America and because CCS Combo-1 is different than CCS Combo-2.

The European CCS adapter for S & X requires two parts - the physical adapter and the ECU to speak CCS protocol. Newer cars have the ECU factory installed, but the ECU can be retrofitted to all older European S & X cars as well. There is some debate about whether the North American Model 3 has the ECU ability to speak CCS, but it looks unlikely because of the differences in the boards between NorAm Model 3 cars and Euro Model 3 cars.

Aha. So basically, the European Tesla (super)charger port was never the same as the North American charger port... and now Euro-3's use CCS2.
Thanks. I didn't know the two were different from the start.

Still, if I were to find a CCS2-to-Tesla(NA) adapter, I wonder if that could work. If there is such a thing...? I guess we'll find out if the CCS1 thing works pretty soon.

As I understood, the Chinese port is different again. And Japan, and it seems, Korea. I wonder what is used in Australia/New Zealand, etc.? It's as confusing as finding the right wall plugs for each travel, but much less urgent. I hope in the long term there's a convergence of standards (and appropriate adapters) but I suppose in the short term we are not taking our Teslas on vacation too far afield... :)

I did not realize that Teslas in Europe have never had the standard Tesla charging port. Unfortunate for them.

The Tesla charge connector is nice, but not being able to use CCS in North America is really damn annoying. The attached image shows CCS stations of 200kW or more in North America.

EDIT: Actually, that doesn't even show all of them. I zoomed in and a bunch more appeared. PlugShare frequently has difficulty showing large numbers of items on the map.

Attachments

• CCS_NA_200kw+_2020-12-03.PNG
    CCS_NA_200kw+_2020-12-03.PNG
    1.6 MB · Views: 91
Aha. So basically, the European Tesla (super)charger port was never the same as the North American charger port... and now Euro-3's use CCS2.
Thanks. I didn't know the two were different from the start.

Still, if I were to find a CCS2-to-Tesla(NA) adapter, I wonder if that could work. If there is such a thing...? I guess we'll find out if the CCS1 thing works pretty soon.

As I understood, the Chinese port is different again. And Japan, and it seems, Korea. I wonder what is used in Australia/New Zealand, etc.? It's as confusing as finding the right wall plugs for each travel, but much less urgent. I hope in the long term there's a convergence of standards (and appropriate adapters) but I suppose in the short term we are not taking our Teslas on vacation too far afield... :)

Yes, this is the Model 3 Chinese port arrangement. One socket for AC and one for DC. The AC port on the left is very similar to the European Type-2 AC port, but the gender is opposite. The DC port on the right is similar to CHAdeMO but the overall size and pin locations is different.
DxvknbeVsAEzX57.jpg

Tesla vehicles in Japan and South Korea use the North American charge port.

Tesla vehicles in Australia and New Zealand use the European ports.

Tesla vehicles in Hong Kong also use the European ports, not the Chinese ports.

Similar to CHAdeMO? What standard is that?
Chinese GB/T 20234.3

According to Wikipedia IEC 62196
AA
CHAdeMO connector
Configuration AA is colloquially known as the “Chademo connector”, because it was designed and is used by the Chademo organisation. The original design was first published in the Japanese standard JEVS G105-1993.

This coupler is intended to be used with DC charging stations that implement System A according to IEC 61851-23 and CAN-communication according to IEC 61851-24 Annex A. It is mostly used in Japan and in countries with many electric vehicles that were designed in Japan.

BB
Configuration BB is intended to be used with DC charging stations that implement System B according to IEC 61851-23 and CAN communication according to IEC 61851-24 Annex B. It is mostly used in China, where the same technical solution is described by the standard GB/T 20234.3.

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H and cwerdna
Last edited:
A further interesting wrinkle - not long ago, I had a problem where my chargeport would not open or opened only half-way. The service guy replaced the entire port, and door. including the socket. I wonder how easy that is to interchange, whether moving from one continent to another is just a matter of getting the Tesla service to swap the part by the tail light...

I assume the plugin inside the fender that feeds to the battery charge unit from the chargeport would be similar for any version of the Model 3?