Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cars, Candidates, Loans, and Bailouts

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Nancy Pelosi gave in to the White House and its position that the money should come from $25 billion in loans previously approved to help the automakers retool for energy fuel efficient vehicles, rather than drawing the aid from the $700 billion Troubled Asset Relief Fund for struggling financial institutions. In return, Pelosi is seeking a guarantee that the money would be replenished in "a matter of weeks."

So is there $10bn left for Tesla, Fisker et al, or will the Detroit 3 be trying to take that for their green programs too?

The D3 are also asking for bailout money and loans from other governments besides the US.

Vauxhall is the GM brand in the UK: BBC NEWS | Business | Vauxhall future 'depends on help'

David, it sounds like JC is finally going green if he "buys an allotment", eh? He sounded quite serious when he described the situation as the "economic end-of-days".

He wrote something very similar in the last Top Gear magazine. I'm sure he is playing it up a bit and probably in fear of losing some of his beloved supercar brands, but remember JC is just a TV presenter at the end of the day...

BBC NEWS | World | Americas | US Elections 2008 | Obama vows aid for car industry

There had been disagreement over where the money should come from, with Congressional Democrats opposing President George Bush's proposal to modify a $25bn fund which was set up to promote fuel-efficient technologies.

But according to Congressional sources, House Speaker Nancy Pelosi, a Democrat, has suggested that the fund could be used under certain conditions.

In the NBC interview, Mr Obama avoided going into detail about the car industry rescue plan, but said letting major carmakers such as General Motors, Ford and Chrysler go bankrupt was not an option.

"That means we're going to have to figure out how to put the pressure in the same way a bankruptcy court would... but do so in a way that allows them to keep their factory doors open," he said.

Paul krugman says...

STOCKHOLM, Sweden — Nobel economics prize winner Paul Krugman said Sunday that the beleaguered U.S. auto industry will likely disappear.

"It will do so because of the geographical forces that me and my colleagues have discussed," the Princeton University professor and New York Times columnist told reporters in Stockholm. "It is no longer sustained by the current economy."

Krugman won the 10 million kronor (US$1.4 million) Nobel Memorial Prize in economics for his work on international trade patterns. Some of his research on economic geography seeks to explain why production resources are concentrated in certain locations.

Speaking to reporters three days ahead of the Nobel Prize ceremony, Krugman said plans by U.S. lawmakers to bail out the Big Three automakers were a short-term solution, resulting from a "lack of willingness to accept the failure of a large industry in the midst of an economic crisis."

Facing massive job losses, the White House and congressional Democrats are negotiating a deal to provide about $15 billion in loans to prevent the weakened U.S. auto industry from collapsing.

http://www.pbs.org/cringely/pulpit/2008/pulpit_20081126_005507.html

The aspect of this whole debacle that I neither like, nor appreciate is the undeniable fact that they (the American auto execs) did this to themselves then, to add insult to injury, stooped to the truly despicable act of cowering behind their employees, using them as scapegoats to coerce and manipulate Congress and the American people into giving them the loan "for the sake of all of the employees that would be out of work"...Weasels!

What Congress should do is seize the assets/bank accounts of the CEO's and their upper administrative echelon and liquidate it to come up with the finances required to keep the companies afloat.

This idea of appointing some kind of a "czar" to administrate the funds allotted to the auto industry is as lame of a duck as Bush is as all that it will do is put an individual into a somewhat precarious position in that they could easily be influenced by being "paid off" to sway their opinion...NO! NO! NO! What is needed is an oversight committee composed of several people to act as a type of built in redundancy factor to prevent any shenanigans.

---CARPOCALYPSE---

As for my choice of the 5...I'd be inclined to go with Romney.

But, again, I have my reservations about the ability of an individual tom remain incorruptible in such a scenario. Mind you, I'm not inferring anything about Romney's (or anyone else on the list for that matter) moral character, it is just that I am aware that there exists other means of persuasion besides money.