Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cars, Candidates, Loans, and Bailouts

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Getting confused as to which thread to post in now...

Heh... me too. :tongue:

The way I see it, this thread is about a bailout for the auto industry in general. The other thread (http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/news-articles-events/1927-tesla-message-about-detroit-3-bailout.html) is about Tesla applying for the DOE loan and their opposition to it being turned into a bailout for the D3. A small distinction, perhaps, but different enough that I'd prefer not to merge the threads. Of course, there'll be some crosstalk, and that's fine. I guess if your post is specifically about Tesla, the other thread is probably more appropriate.

Rep. Bob Corker of Tennessee is busting their chops (I applaud this man, as well as Mr. Tester), and it seems that even now they still do not have all of the information together required to intelligently present their case to the House...still!

Perhaps none to surprisingly ("?") "Chrysler" (the only privately held automaker of the three) has not only the stronger footing in the present malaise, but also the better business plan ("Dodge EV" anyone?).

Uh oh, members of the general public are weighing in on the proceedings with chants of "A bailout is a sellout!!" They've now been removed.

Last edited:
Martin's Take:

Rescue Detroit Tesla Founders Blog

Let me get straight to the point. I strongly believe that we should rescue Ford, GM, and Chrysler immediately. This is about millions of American jobs, national security, and whether or not we want to be a country that actually makes things, as opposed to serving burgers to each other and to the salesmen of foreign products.

The Detroit 3 are not perfect companies, and some of their woes were brought on by themselves. But this crisis comes principally from Wall Street, not Detroit.

And so it is that they adjourn largely still unresolved.

While very anti-climatic, I am pleased that they (Congress) are not rushing headlong into some action without taking into consideration all of the factors contributing to the current sessions, i.e., they (the "Big 3") got themselves into this situation, should they actually be allowed to get themselves out?

What there seems to be some consensus over is that bankruptcy is not a viable option, at this point anyway, but nor is handing the automakers a blank check, and especially not forcing a large part of the labor force into unemployment.

Time will tell.

Last edited:
Even now, all but Chrysler merely refer in passing (almost as a hindsight when questioned "what about?") to developing/implementing new sources of powering our vehicles while they've (Chrysler) placed it squarely at the forefront of their reorientation plans with the ENVI program https://www.chryslerllc.com/en/innovation/envi/overview/, which has three solely electric powered vehicles).

I wouldn't say the Volt is in passing and Ford seemed to make a big deal in their recent statement. Perhaps Chrysler have just gone about this in a smart way...

Darryl Siry's take:

Horseless Age: Rethink State Franchise Laws in Bailout

So the Big 3 should kill some of their brands. That's fine, and it has already been suggested and considered. So what's the problem?

The problem lies with the state franchise laws. Because of these laws, killing a brand is a very expensive proposition. The most recent example being the elimination of Oldsmobile, which cost GM over $1B. The state franchise laws require the manufacturer to buy out each dealer because, it is reasoned, the dealer has invested a very large amount of time and money and care in building their business and must be compensated for this. Sounds like a great deal to me. If the manufacturer of a product is going out of business and can't afford to support the product anymore, the distributors of that product should bear their share of the unfortunate consequences.

graham said:
Quote:
So the Big 3 should kill some of their brands. That's fine, and it has already been suggested and considered. So what's the problem?

The problem lies with the state franchise laws. Because of these laws, killing a brand is a very expensive proposition. The most recent example being the elimination of Oldsmobile, which cost GM over $1B. The state franchise laws require the manufacturer to buy out each dealer because, it is reasoned, the dealer has invested a very large amount of time and money and care in building their business and must be compensated for this. Sounds like a great deal to me. If the manufacturer of a product is going out of business and can't afford to support the product anymore, the distributors of that product should bear their share of the unfortunate consequences.

Which goes far in explaining why the automakers have procrastinated about doing something to salvage their long-failing stake in the industry (this fiasco didn't just happen overnight), i.e., they've been waiting for a number of the dealers to go "out of business" so that they (the "Big 3") wouldn't be saddled with the financial burden of "buying them out"...cynical I know, but it's just that this whole scenario seems, what's the word, "premeditated", to me.

I wouldn't say the Volt is in passing and Ford seemed to make a big deal in their recent statement. Perhaps Chrysler have just gone about this in a smart way...

Yes, it does appear that Chrysler is more so inclined to develop and deploy an entire fleet of EV's, whereas those of GM/Ford are merely "token" offerings (the dangling carrot) to secure the loan(s)/bailout so that they can then continue on their course of providing a viable medium (petroleum fueled vehicles) for the oil companies (which they seem to have some stake in as well) by concentrating only on developing new methods to increase fuel economy.

Stupid expensive programs driven by misguided government policy, such as billion dollar hydrogen fuel cell programs, should immediately be eliminated.

Better incentives should be put in place that reward high gas mileage, and also encourage consumers to buy high gas mileage cars. (How about a gasoline tax that pays for the war in Iraq, anyone? This war really is about oil, you know.)

Interesting Martin talks about programs for better mileage but not specifically battery electrics.

Many people have asked me about Tesla’s application for a piece of the bailout pie. I absolutely think Tesla should get their piece. Their fair share should be a percentage of the total bailout proportional to the number of cars they have sold compared to the number sold by the other companies being rescued… (You do the math.)

OK. From Ford November sales down 30.6 percent - Business First of Louisville: we can see that Ford have sold circa 2m cars this year to date. I'll assume the other two have sold the same. Tesla have 1,200 sales.

So 6,000,000 / 1,200 = 5,000.

$25bn / 5,000 means Tesla's share would be $5m.

Bailout fatigue hurts Big Three on Capitol Hill - SFGate

mn-autos05_ph1_0499525456.jpg

I wonder if I'm the only one that saw this photo in the paper this morning and thought Congress should make them compete for the funds in a televised cage match.