Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Carpool Etiquette

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think one of the greatest parts of owning a Tesla is the ability to use the HOV/Carpool lanes (definitely helps with morning and evening commutes from work).

Have a couple of questions about the carpool and how most people would approach it:

First off, as a driver, I am one of those people that really only uses the left most lane for passing vehicles, and definitely do not sit in it while blocking traffic behind me like some of the road hogs I have encountered.

Where I drive to work, the carpool lane (call it lane A) is relatively empty, but sometimes the left most non-HOV lane (call it lane B for simplicity) is empty too and I feel kind of odd just staying in that lane (I feel if I am in lane B, I can potentially slow down people that come up behind me fast, and lane C often would not allow quick access to lane A when needed if I choose to go that route). So would you just set autopilot and forget it in lane A despite having the next lane on right empty (for now?)

Also I have noticed when I am legally using the carpool lane in the above situation, some cars with clearly only 1 person) are illegally using it and if they come up behind me, what is your thoughts on how it should be handled? (stay in lane A since I'm rightfully there, or let them go unimpeded in carpool lane illegally by me now moving to lane B)? If there is more than 1 passenger and are driving faster than me I do try and be courteous and move over to the right to let them pass (a courtesy I know some carpoolers ahead of me have not shown me).

On a completely unrelated note:

I do have a sticker for HOV use displayed on my rear windhshield as required by Tennessee where I live. Curious if I drive to neighboring states (Georgia most notably), would that give me a pass even though it clearly was issued only for TN use? I don't see the point of getting stickers of every state you plan to drive in for HOV if you do travel a lot.

In this day and age of crazy road rage out there I always take the high road. I'm not going to play citizen cop and try to impede anyone because they are breaking the law. They will eventually get theirs, their risk. I move out of the way and let them go.

Like you, I drive in the furthest lane to the right that is moving at the speed I want to go. I don't ride in the left lane. So I agree with the feeling being a little odd sitting in the car pool lane and getting passed by someone in the lane to the right. Where I am though, the lanes are separated and you can't freely move between them except every few miles. When I lived in Seattle more single driver cars used the lanes because it is so easy to move in and out to make forward progress.

But if someone behind you is going faster or wants to, let them go. They will get the ticket before you, "bear bait".

On the basic etiquette issue: I say use the carpool lane
(1) You free up space in the other lanes
(2) You reduce maneuvers in other lanes
(3) You cause less wear most used lanes.

On the lone-non-EV-driver issue:
(1) Your primary responsibility is safety: don't try to punish other drivers. One day you'll get your Yes!-punch-the-air moment when a cop gets them. So, no rush to get out of their way, but no need to stay in their way unnecessarily.
(2) It's hard to see all the way into another car. Infants and children count as passengers.

Reactions: xrayvsn