Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is there a way to 1) adjust suspension and 2) change follow distance on the fly?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
1) Suspension: I'm coming up to a speed bump in traffic and want to adjust. How do I do that without going through menus? I thought I could assign a long-press of the left button, but it just says "raising suspension unavailable" or something like that.

2) Follow distance: In my Model 3 with FSD, I could click the right thumbwheel left or right to adjust follow distance. That seems to do nothing in my Model S with FSD. It isn't actually the follow distance that I care about, but in the Model 3 when I did that, I would have an option on screen something like "minimal lane changes". Since that option is only engaged per-trip, it sucks having to go through layers of menus. Is there a way to engage that in the S more easily?*

* If you're in America and find yourself asking "why would you want to do that?" - I'm sure FSD behaves much better there. Here, it is *constantly* changing lanes for no apparent reason. Especially maddening is when I'm on a freeway where we're supposed to stay to the right, and it specifically changes lanes to "get out of rightmost lane". Huh? That's exactly where I'm supposed to be! Anyway, I made frequent use of that minimal lane change option.

Don’t know about the suspension, but unlike the 3/Y, the right scroll wheel button in the current S doesn’t support pushing to the left or right, everything is interpreted at pushing in. I agree that not being able to select Minimize Lane Changes from the wheel or having it be a sticky setting is a pain. When you first enable FSD on the S, I think the “follow distance” option briefly appears on the touchscreen so you can change it there.

FWIW - my 2017 Model S with FSD3 and updated cameras lost the ability to set follow distance when it - finally - got FSD beta software Apr 2023. Earlier I adjusted follow distance by turning the knob at the end of the Autopilot stalk.

Now, a lane change “tuning” menu opens at the top right of the MCU screen when I turn the knob. I then set the top option to “Minimize lane changes” and the bottom for “Aggressive” lane changes.

As an earlier post said, I have to repeat the setting every time I invoke FSD.