Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CarPlay & Android Auto Hack - Walkthrough

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Mine is Intel Atom, Model Y built in 1/2021. I've been using the Tesla-Android Raspberry Pi system for a couple of weeks so I had switch the Hannshow to Android Auto mode to prevent my phone from connecting. So I don't think I've been using the Hannshow since I've gotten 2022.20.5.
i take it you prefer the raspberry PI system better? i didn't like how the audio always routed to carplay prior so I had to manually select to keep all audio on the Tesla, is the raspberry PI system better in regards to that? I got a PI lying around, maybe i'll try it out. Thanks!

For folks that have the 9" Linux Hannshow or Verkokappa display, have you had any issues with your iphone connecting repeatedly to CarPlay well outside of your car? This has occurred pretty consistently for the past 7-10 days where upon exiting the car in my home, the display unit stays connected to my iphone and I have to manually disconnect but it will re-connect within 20-30 seconds. Frustrating. CS said they're working on a fix but for now to turn off CarPlay when leaving the car and turning it back on, not the most ideal but doable. However, even with CarPlay off, how I find the phone is routing all audio - whether phone calls, music or video to the head unit. I have to disconnect the bluetooth signal between the carplay display unit and my phone and even then, it'll re-connect doing the same again. I think I'll probably un-pair the display unit until there's a fix but super frustrating. Wondering if this has happened to anyone else and if so, if you've found a fix? Seems to have occurred after I updated Tesla software to 2022.20.6 but that likely seems to be a coincidence.
Never happened to me and my car is right next to my house too.I have been using 2022.20.6. I just walk away and 9” linux hansshow console disconnects from CarPlay and never tries to auto connect while I am in the house. Tesla firmware can’t change how the 9” linux console connects to iPhone via wireless CarPlay.

i take it you prefer the raspberry PI system better? i didn't like how the audio always routed to carplay prior so I had to manually select to keep all audio on the Tesla, is the raspberry PI system better in regards to that?
Absolutely prefer the Pi system. Don't ever have to think about which path the audio is taking, it pretty much just works. LOVE, using the Tesla screen for CarPlay. So much easier, big buttons on screen, easy to reach, seems more natural.

• Informative
Reactions: ElectricAnt54
Today I removed the 9" Linux display. Haven't driven yet, but it's refreshing to see a nice clean dashboard again. The day I installed the Pi solution I put the 9" Linux display into Android Auto mode so that would effectively turn off CarPlay on the unit. Never once used it for CarPlay again.

Never found the additional display useful for speedometer and other features.

I did leave the wiring harness connected, and tucked it inside the side panel on the passenger side. Left it because a) it was a bitch to install, and uninstalling it would be a major pain again, and b) maybe someday the Pi solution might be able to get information from the two leads that fed the 9" display, like when to turn on and off, etc.

@timeshifter - Any chance you'd be kind enough to post your final implementation with pictures. I was trying to read through the thread, but it would be nice to how to install and configure it without the gotchas. I'd also like to see pictures of where you're Pis and wires are placed and if there are any heating concerns.
I left the two rpi under the driver seat. Each of them powered by usb c ports for the rear passengers.

Reactions: timeshifter
What did you use for a case(s) for the Pi?
I was lucky and inherited a few rpi last year and they all have plastic cases that I believe came from the original seller, the rpi4 also has a small fan. I taped the hdmi adapter onto the top of the pi3 as I worried the ribbon cable could be damaged. I do look forward to the single pi arrangement to reduce the mess though.

1660017354481.png

1660017480230.png

1660017572364.png

1660017684454.png

• Informative
Reactions: ElectricAnt54
Why not keep the whole thing in the center console under the tray and avoid that visible power wire?
That's a really good idea, might try that. The visible wire isn't too terrible. It's only visible where it exits and enters, otherwise it's tucked under the trim.

So reasons to keep it where it is... I never really use that compartment for any storage, while the compartment under the armrest is something I keep stuff in. There more room in the current location, for airflow and for messing around with stuff. Also wonder if reception for LTE and WiFi is slightly better there, put probably negligible.

No issues from vibration or heat for your RPIs?
None that I'm aware of. Had one issue early on where the display wasn't working well, but that was because I didn't do a proper job of seating the video ribbon cable. I really should get a case or two for them units but I was in such a hurry to try it out I just threw them in there. And I didn't pursue it as the developer indicated the single Pi build was imminent.

None that I'm aware of. Had one issue early on where the display wasn't working well, but that was because I didn't do a proper job of seating the video ribbon cable. I really should get a case or two for them units but I was in such a hurry to try it out I just threw them in there. And I didn't pursue it as the developer indicated the single Pi build was imminent.
Thanks so much. I want to try this but waiting on a 1 RPI implementation.