Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car & Driver: The Mach E is simply better than the Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
By the way, what I see on the MachEForum regarding happy owners waiting for their mu$tangs to be fixed in the expansive Ford dealership network is that in order to get anything going Ford has to send an engineer to the dealership and/or they have to report their issues to the media that is apparently closely monitored by Ford.

From the guy waiting for 26 days now for the battery repair/replacement:
"Honestly, direct messaging was what did the trick for me. The social media team monitors the account, and they were awesome... very responsive and friendly."

Also, from the same guy:
"Also seems that they do in fact have a FSA on the case now. As for parts, they are waiting for a battery. Apparently the MME batteries are currently on backorder (seems like a lot of demand,), but mine has been placed under emergency order. He believes that they come off of backorder on the 16th.

According to him, the prior MME that was in the shop before me had 2 battery packs/cells that ruptured and needed to be replaced. The good thing is, they're now familiar with the battery replacement process thanks to the other MME that was in the shop before me. He also mentioned that another MME with the same symptoms just came into the dealership today!

The scary part of all this is that it's sounding more like this issue may be somewhat common rather than a one off.
3 cars with battery issues at the same dealership... Really curious to hear if it's a Texas thing or wider spread."

Oh boy, it's a Ford thing!
Holy cow. 🐮
Looks like the Mach-E purchasing experience is just as terrible for some as the owning experience. Holy 🐮 indeed:

Some of the gory tidbits:
"That dealership insisted the vehicle wasn’t a mannequin, then later said it was a mannequin and that he could test drive the vehicle but he couldn’t reserve it."

"Some markups he’s seen were over $15,000. Imagine if Tesla did this."

"He explained that the saleswoman knew nothing about the Mach-E or the new Synq4 system. The dealer didn’t even know how to open the car. His saleswoman even told him that she had no interest in learning about the Ford Mustang Mach-E."

"Another fee was for locking lugnuts — they wanted to charge him $1,000. He wanted the dealership to remove them, and since locking lugnuts only come to around $50, he figured he could just buy them later on. He was informed by the dealership that the lugnuts were installed on the vehicle, which turned out to be a lie since they came in the mail a week prior to him doing the video."

"“We’re gonna do bumper to bumper for 100,000 miles, so you don’t have to worry about anything.” The price for the extended warranty was $4,000, which made Get Energi laugh, thus enraging the salesman."

"Once he got his key, it was a wrap. They didn’t even show him where the car was located. They just gave me the key and were like, ‘There you go. Bye.'”

Yeah, and I'm sure the new owner would want to go to that dealership's service department afterwards.

Looks like the Mach-E purchasing experience is just as terrible for some as the owning experience. Holy 🐮 indeed:

Some of the gory tidbits:
"That dealership insisted the vehicle wasn’t a mannequin, then later said it was a mannequin and that he could test drive the vehicle but he couldn’t reserve it."

"Some markups he’s seen were over $15,000. Imagine if Tesla did this."

"He explained that the saleswoman knew nothing about the Mach-E or the new Synq4 system. The dealer didn’t even know how to open the car. His saleswoman even told him that she had no interest in learning about the Ford Mustang Mach-E."

"Another fee was for locking lugnuts — they wanted to charge him $1,000. He wanted the dealership to remove them, and since locking lugnuts only come to around $50, he figured he could just buy them later on. He was informed by the dealership that the lugnuts were installed on the vehicle, which turned out to be a lie since they came in the mail a week prior to him doing the video."

"“We’re gonna do bumper to bumper for 100,000 miles, so you don’t have to worry about anything.” The price for the extended warranty was $4,000, which made Get Energi laugh, thus enraging the salesman."

"Once he got his key, it was a wrap. They didn’t even show him where the car was located. They just gave me the key and were like, ‘There you go. Bye.'”

• Funny
Reactions: alexgr
Can't even handle regen:

Crazy reading through the threads on that Mach-E forum. This one would terrify me with that crummy dealership model:

Crazy reading through the threads on that Mach-E forum. This one would terrify me with that crummy dealership model:

Cool. Not only did they simulate the smell of a gas vehicle, they also simulate a traditional Ford powertrain failure and service experience. Now all they need is the used car shops full of Mach-Es :)

The sad thing is that Ford has an awesome racing arm, but for some reason, they are very fickle with embracing it, at least for an extended period of time. If I were them I would have done an electric GT. If they would have gone all-in on performance, people would look the other way on a lot of the practical stuff, and it would be super impressive. Instead they delivered a subpar variant of the Y. Although even now it's kinda too late. This sorta plan should have been 2 years ago.

Reactions: El joe and alexgr
Regarding facts, do you have a reference to noise level measurements in MY and MME? I wouldn't be surprised the MME is more quiet, especially on the Fords-go-to-sleep-now-...-🤮 suspension and on those tires.

Edit: FordMME didn't hack my account, I am asking just out of curiosity.
Either C&D or R&T actually measured the sound in both cars, I forget which. They came up with a 1 db difference in favor of the Ford. The thing is, 1 db can easily be accounted for by any number of environmental variables. There was a time I was considering the Mach-e myself, plus I'm a curious guy, so I measured the sound level in my Model Y and a Mach-e doing my best to eliminate any variables that would skew the result. I made several runs in each car. The measurement was taken at same point in the same lane at the same speed with no traffic nearby with the same people in the both cars. (Three adults, myself driving, a friend measuring and a Ford salesman monitoring.) None of us were able to declare a winner. The results were extremely close and while one run favored the Y, the next favored the E.

BTW, I liked the Mach-e, I do think it's a great car to drive. As an SUV it's a fail though, it simply doesn't have the utility of the Y. The Y beats it in every category except brakes. The Mach-e does have great brakes. Also, The Mach-e GT Performance apparently is going to have a track mode, something we were promised for the Y PUP that never materialized. The car is not without it's advantages. But Ford insists on calling it an SUV, and it is a failure at that compared to the Y. Clearly, Ford does not want to call it a car, because the 3 will slaughter it at everything but cargo space. Even with that, there's a market for the E for sure. After looking at that thermal system though, that market does not include me. I've done a LOT of work on cars over the years. One look at that thermal system makes it utterly certain that the Mach-e is going to be very, very expensive to maintain once those 35 hoses start leaking in a few years. Yeah, hoses are cheap--but the labor to get to a lot of those hoses will not be.

Great video:

And I wouldn't say he is an ultimate pro-Tesla guy. He also gets wrong on his science sometimes, like in that video claiming that 0-60 mph in under 2 s is physically impossible if the car can't stop in less than 2 s from 60 mph. But it seems that the pre-paid automotive journalism has got him too. And he made a video that I would rather expect from Sam Alexander.

Either C&D or R&T actually measured the sound in both cars, I forget which. They came up with a 1 db difference in favor of the Ford. The thing is, 1 db can easily be accounted for by any number of environmental variables. There was a time I was considering the Mach-e myself, plus I'm a curious guy, so I measured the sound level in my Model Y and a Mach-e doing my best to eliminate any variables that would skew the result. I made several runs in each car. The measurement was taken at same point in the same lane at the same speed with no traffic nearby with the same people in the both cars. (Three adults, myself driving, a friend measuring and a Ford salesman monitoring.) None of us were able to declare a winner. The results were extremely close and while one run favored the Y, the next favored the E.

BTW, I liked the Mach-e, I do think it's a great car to drive. As an SUV it's a fail though, it simply doesn't have the utility of the Y. The Y beats it in every category except brakes. The Mach-e does have great brakes. Also, The Mach-e GT Performance apparently is going to have a track mode, something we were promised for the Y PUP that never materialized. The car is not without it's advantages. But Ford insists on calling it an SUV, and it is a failure at that compared to the Y. Clearly, Ford does not want to call it a car, because the 3 will slaughter it at everything but cargo space. Even with that, there's a market for the E for sure. After looking at that thermal system though, that market does not include me. I've done a LOT of work on cars over the years. One look at that thermal system makes it utterly certain that the Mach-e is going to be very, very expensive to maintain once those 35 hoses start leaking in a few years. Yeah, hoses are cheap--but the labor to get to a lot of those hoses will not be.
It's interesting you like the Mach-E brakes. I've read the comments that the Mach-E brakes are highly non-linear and it is a challenge to stop smoothly. Maybe they fixed it later-production vehicles.