Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can't believe they dropped Silver...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Several people here seem to be overly upset that silver isn't a color choice (I'm going for the 'Understatement of the Month' award, btw :)).

Have you contacted Tesla to let them know that color choice the one thing keeping you from purchasing? If you want it changed, probably more of an impact to let them know directly (rather than vent about color on an independent forum).

Several people here seem to be overly upset that silver isn't a color choice (I'm going for the 'Understatement of the Month' award, btw :)).

Have you contacted Tesla to let them know that color choice the one thing keeping you from purchasing? If you want it changed, probably more of an impact to let them know directly (rather than vent about color on an independent forum).

Oh yes I've contacted them so they know :) I was told I can still get silver "off menu" for a limited time but we are about 3-6 months away from getting our Model S so it is disconcerting that we will not have any color we actually like by the time we buy our car. I mean seriously, how can they drop silver and not even have a light gray to replace it with?

Do you see now why a bunch of us are so upset over this... Mercedes offers 4 shades of silver for the S class and the Model S offers no silver or even a gray color option.

Yes... can't believe they removed silver and then added back the basic white (there are two whites and two blacks).

Silver is a main colour for cars. It's important for the Model S, because it's the only colour that coordinates with the alloy wheels and all the chrome (especially the side strips under the doors). I think this is a mistake and insofar as colours are important (which is not very much, from an engineering standpoint), the Model S has lost an important facet. I would not be surprised if it is added back.

Remember it is still available to order and if enough buyers select Silver Metallic while the colour is not displayed in the Design Studio, that will be an important signal to Tesla to add it back.

However if the silver colour really has't been that popular among actual buyers of the car, well, there's not much we can do about that!

- - - Updated - - -

I looked at several other manufacturers... every one of them has a silver, from Jeep Grand Cherokee down to Hyundai Elantra. :(

Having said this, if I were a prospective buyer of the Model S I would just get another colour. The car is SO amazing, and SO important... you can't pass it up.

Do you see now why a bunch of us are so upset over this... Mercedes offers 4 shades of silver for the S class and the Model S offers no silver or even a gray color option.

No, not really. It would be like telling Mercedes that Tesla offers a fully electric vehicle with an amazing range and performance - and why don't they? But I do get that people have specific things that are more important to them than anything else. So I accept that for some, color is more important.

I thought the forums are place to vent your anger, frustration, blah...blah..blah:tongue:

Oh yes I've contacted them so they know :) I was told I can still get silver "off menu" for a limited time but we are about 3-6 months away from getting our Model S so it is disconcerting that we will not have any color we actually like by the time we buy our car. I mean seriously, how can they drop silver and not even have a light gray to replace it with?

If silver is your number one priority then might be worth finding a way to shift up the ordering process somehow in order to get the car through production.

If silver is your number one priority then might be worth finding a way to shift up the ordering process somehow in order to get the car through production.

Don't think that is going to work because we are likely 4-6 months away and we don't want to order now for a vehicle that we will take delivery 6 months later.

I still can't believe they removed silver and gray. If they can make brown look better by calling it Titanium they should be able to do something nice with silver...

I too can't believe they dropped silver. Silver with a tan interior was going to be my choice but there are no other exterior colors that I find appealing so I am pretty much screwed in the exterior color depart,department. The new "Titanium" is more of a champagne beige from the 90s. Not only did they drop silver but there is no medium to light gray either. The Mercedes S class we were considering has about 4 versions of silver and gray. I hope at least one viable silver or medium gray is available for the Model S.

It's a really disappointing and puzzling development. Tesla is probably the only car manufacturer in existence that is not offering silver as an exterior color. I honestly don't know what color there is for me to pick as what they are calling midnight silver is basically a dark blue/gray black.

Silver is a very popular premium car color in the Northeast and they will have a bunch of unhappy customers who will be shocked to find out when they try to place an order that Tesla is the only car manufacturer on earth who does not offer silver or a light gray as an exterior color choice.

The lack of silver is extremely disappointing especially now that they have also removed the lighter gray option.

I seriously can't understand why they can't come out with a silver or light gray with extra depth and dimension.

The other car we were considering is a Mercedes S class and it is offered not with 1 but FOUR versions of silver or light gray. Silver and light/medium gary are very popular colors for vehicles in this segment. If they can come out with a color called "Titanium" for people who like brown I don't understand how they can not have a color for people who like silver or a light gray.

I mean seriously, how can they drop silver and not even have a light gray to replace it with?

I still can't believe they removed silver and gray. If they can make brown look better by calling it Titanium they should be able to do something nice with silver...

So, just to clarify ... you're not happy that Tesla has removed silver?

:)

Of all the colors how could they drop silver when they resurrected brown and decided to call it Titanium? :)

Nope, not happy at all that they dropped silver and I'll whine about it until a silver or at the least a light or medium gray is brought back... :mad:

Certainly a light colour, other than white, is needed. I haven't seen a titanium in person but the pictures make it look like a drab Lexus or Altima. Sliver is at least sparkling.

I saw the silver today for the first time, IMO it is a very light silver and I can see why so few people ordered it. Can the old silver be improved in any way? Are there other auto OEMs that make a better silver? I've seen a Merc Designo Silver that looked incredible but I was told it was big $$.

I saw the silver today for the first time, IMO it is a very light silver and I can see why so few people ordered it. Can the old silver be improved in any way? ...

I expect they'll come out with a new silver. I noticed little silver in the "Reach the Beach" photos, but the color was very well represented at the Montreal EV event (85 Teslas) held on the same weekend, so I guess its a regional thing.

The French Canadian Tesla site is more honest than the American one for the colors. They never tried to pass off Titanium Metallic as "Warm Silver," and what is currently called "Midnight Silver Metallic," is simply listed as "Gray."

According to Tesla themselves, Silver doesn't crack the top 5 colors ordered.

image.jpg

(Note Tesla only divulged rank but not percentages).
Source: This is Tesla's most popular car color

Obviously favorite color for a car is a matter of personal taste, but what strikes me as a "silver car" person is that silver is not really a "color"... I know technically it's a paint like the rest but to me it looks more like polished aluminum or steel. To me it's like choosing a watch band: It could be fun to have a bright red or green watch band but it's not something I'd want to use every day... To me a metal band is just the "default" and choosing a color is a different kind of exercise.

Maybe Tesla is going through an aesthetic change but for the first couple of years of the Model S almost every professional photo I saw was a silver car with tan interior... and I still think that is the most striking combo.

Also I'd just like to repeat that I have to believe dark color cars are not very energy efficient in the summer sun... I'd be interested in testing that hypothesis: We could park two cars on a sunny day and run the AC until the interiors were the same temp and then see how long it takes to return to a certain temp...

Just saw a newer silver P85D in the sun and it looked good but very similar to the silver toyota parked next to it. Maybe Tesla needs to give Silver a little oomph; like more metallic flake or pearl or something to make it jump out a little more in the sun.