Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cancelling my reservation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It may not be an issue for you. For me, it's a "telling detail" that reveals an underlying design ethic of Model 3: the UI requires you to take your eyes off the road in order to do otherwise simple things.

This is not the hill you want to die on. It's a VERY bad example of that because digging in the glove box, the reason you popped it open, is past "taking your eyes off the road" territory, even past "taking your hands off the wheel", and straight into "taking your butt off the seat" territory.

Your eyeroll worthy assertion notwithstanding, unless this is a picture of you:

C_hgbd1mx4vx.jpg

Last edited:
But windshield wipers? Headlights? Cruise control set speed? Traffic spacing interval?

Windshield wipers are automatic. Never need to touch the controls (except the button on the stalk to do a sweep or wash the windscreen).
Headlights are automatic, I've never touched that control in any of my recent cars.
Cruise control speed is set automatically, and follows the cars in front of you. I don't generally need to fiddle with it.
Traffic spacing is dynamic, and I never change the setting.

It would be a shame to just have autonomous driving on this car, since it's the most fun car to drive I've ever owned.

Good luck with your better options. I'd love to have better options to choose from (because they'd have to be fantastic), but I just don't see them.

Reactions: ℬête Noire
  1. Shouldn't be digging through the glovebox while you're driving.
  2. Been a long time since I used paper maps, when I did I kept them in the passenger seat pocket which could be reached without looking nor having to first open anything.
  3. You're worried about having to briefly glance at a screen, yet are OK with using paper maps while driving? Wow.

• Funny
Reactions: Xenius and Dr. J
You're worried about having to briefly glance at a screen, yet are OK with using paper maps while driving? Wow.

Just finding the glovebox button alone, supposedly just touch feel. It's either Stevie Wonder up in there or Robin's disturbingly practiced at reaching across to pop that glove box open....which would beg the question of why not just use the driver door pocket for all this commonly used stuff. :rolleyes:

This is not the hill you want to die on. It's a VERY bad example of that because digging in the glove box, the reason you popped it open, is past "taking your eyes off the road" territory, even past "taking your hands off the wheel", and straight into "taking your butt off the seat" territory.

Your eyeroll assertion notwithstanding, unless this is a picture of you:

View attachment 279883
You may have glided over the "telling detail" bit. It's not about a glove box, so no hill. And the last thing I'd want to do is dissuade someone from considering Model 3. It might be perfect for them. Just not for me.
As for relying on auto wipers, the accounts I read here suggest it's not that reliable or convenient. Especially in misty conditions (of course, it hardly rains in California any more, so maybe a non-issue). And setting cruise control speed with an onscreen (and small) plus or minus? Not one of Tesla's better ideas. But again, YMMV.
Robin

Sooo....nobody keeps gloves in the glove box?o_O
I never have. Frankly as the car manual to glovebox volume ratio has converged towards 1:1 over the decades, and center consoles have gained a lot more storage capacity, it's become increasingly unlikely that I keep anything in there. I used to keep my proof of insurance in there but now I just keep the latest one in iBooks on my phone.

Reactions: pdxrob
Windshield wipers are automatic. Never need to touch the controls (except the button on the stalk to do a sweep or wash the windscreen).
Headlights are automatic, I've never touched that control in any of my recent cars.
Cruise control speed is set automatically, and follows the cars in front of you. I don't generally need to fiddle with it.
Traffic spacing is dynamic, and I never change the setting.

It would be a shame to just have autonomous driving on this car, since it's the most fun car to drive I've ever owned.

Good luck with your better options. I'd love to have better options to choose from (because they'd have to be fantastic), but I just don't see them.
After having car for 3 weeks absolutely agree with these observations, and so do the people I’ve let drive it. My recommendation is not to cancel your reservation.

I never have. Frankly as the car manual to glovebox volume ratio has converged towards 1:1 over the decades, and center consoles have gained a lot more storage capacity, it's become increasingly unlikely that I keep anything in there. I used to keep my proof of insurance in there but now I just keep the latest one in iBooks on my phone.

Plus J1772 charge adapter. In the Model S anyway there's a little space that fits it perfectly. I haven't actually gotten it out of it's bag yet to check how it fits in the Model 3.

• Informative
Reactions: ℬête Noire