Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Canadian Superchargers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Fine report, znino. But I will not try to drive this car non-stop from T-O to Cornwall or the reverse under any circumstances.

I wouldn't really suggest doing it. I was however, pretty confident, having had the car for almost 2 years now you get used to knowing how far it will go if you are monitoring your energy usage. If I get the wH/km to 170 over a 50 km window I pretty much know I can drive the number of km indicated by the car's gauge.

We NEED Kingston is an understatement :)

So, the answer is yes, Toronto SC to Cornwall SC is possible, as I did it yesterday. However, it is extremely tight.

On Saturday I went from Montreal to Toronto. Stopped at Cornwall to top back up to full. There were very strong headwinds so I left cornwall and stopped at the best western Kingston to have lunch and get 70Km back. Arrived in Toronto with no issues with 56 km of ideal range showing. My average energy from Cornwall to Kingston was 198 WH/Km and from Kingston to the Toronto SC was 194 Wh/Km. I used a total of 84.2 kWh for Cornwall SC to Toronto SC on a distance of 431.4 Km (this included the detour off the highway to get to the Kingston BW).

On the return trip, I topped up at the Toronto SC and drove 420 km to the Cornwall SC. I noticed after leaving the Toronto SC that I had stopped the charge slightly before full and it was showing me 458 Km of ideal range. Anyway, favorable tailwinds and cruise control set at 107 km/hr, I was averaging 168 Wh/Km when I neared Kingston so I decided to go for it and skip the intermediate stop and push for Cornwall (I could always slow down to 100 Km/hr if needed). I arrived in Cornwall with 3 km of range showing and still averaging 168 Wh/km since Toronto. My speed was always set to 107. The Toronto to Cornwall trip showed 70.7 kWh used (a lot less than when I did Cornwall-toronto via Kingston. It is to be also noted that on the way TO Toronto I had an extra person in the car and the car was loaded to the top with everything my son was bringing to his dorm at U of T).

I am wondering if the difference between what I used and the 85 KWh battery spec the reserve or unusable portion that I keep hearing about? Seems like a big difference to me.

So, in short, if you do not have strong headwinds and maintain a speed of 107, it is possible to get from the Toronto SC to the Cornwall SC with some km still remaining on the readout, albeit very few. It is that tight. Obviously not possible in winter and not if you drive faster. Driving a little slower or drafting some trucks would have helped create more of a buffer. It is clear that the Kingston SC will make all these very close calls moot and until then, it would probably be wise to stop and hour for lunch in Kingston or an hour in Coburg to get an additional 50-70 Km of buffer.

It was a lot of fun to use these SC. I met lots of nice people, had good conversations and saw my car showing me charge rates in excess of 550 km/hr!

Very impress!

At 198 Wh/km it penalized (headwinds) you by 7% comparing to your initial Rated Range of 420 km. It brought you down to around a Rated Range of around 391 km.

Even if you substract 9 km (your detour to Kingston BW - go and come back on 401) you would not have been good to make it as you hit the 84.2 kWh mark for the whole Cornwall-Toronto trip... As I wrote friday you had the strong headwinds and that was my big question mark about that trip... Probably you could have done it if the winds wouldn't have been that strong... With a 182-188 Wh/km average you would have been probably OK (with some KM done after the 0 Rated Range mark)...

Here is a good pic that explain the battery «stages»... the 0 Rated Range comes when your consumption hit 75.9 kWh then you still have 5.1 kWh (+/- 20 km distance depending on your consumption at that time...).

ModelSBatteryCapacityDetails.png

Last edited:
Very impress!

Here is a good pic that explain the battery «stages»... the 0 Rated Range comes when your consumption hit 75.9 kWh then you still have 5.1 kWh (+/- 20 km distance depending on your consumption at that time...).

View attachment 58284

Thanks for the diagram. Just a couple of questions: What is this 8.5 kWh range charge. Does that simply mean that you put the charge slider all the way to 100% and it charges up fully? Also, according to the diagram, the available for range driving is 75.9 kWh. On my Toronto Cornwall leg it showed me as having used 70.7 kWh and I only had a couple of km range listed. Shouldn't it have shown me more available if the "available for range driving" is 75.9 kWh? I was practically at zero? Maybe Tesla has changed this value since the diagram was made? My consumption upon reaching Cornwall was averaging below 170 wH/km so quite good.

Thanks for the diagram. Just a couple of questions: What is this 8.5 kWh range charge. Does that simply mean that you put the charge slider all the way to 100% and it charges up fully? Also, according to the diagram, the available for range driving is 75.9 kWh. On my Toronto Cornwall leg it showed me as having used 70.7 kWh and I only had a couple of km range listed. Shouldn't it have shown me more available if the "available for range driving" is 75.9 kWh? I was practically at zero? Maybe Tesla has changed this value since the diagram was made? My consumption upon reaching Cornwall was averaging below 170 wH/km so quite good.

Yep, it's the difference between Range charging and Normal charging.

Actually, range driving reaches reach 75.9 kWh and after that you hit the 0 Rated Range... though I can't explain the gap between your 70.7 kWh VS the 75.9 kWh with you having only couple of KM left on your rated range... let's not forget that this diagram is based on theory only... not sure it was done and calculated in real life...

To really know we would have to drive it to the point that we get to pull over because the battery depleted... measure the kWh done, the Wh/km consumed and we would have a pretty good idea of what is really the max km we can go (always depending on the average consumption) / or max kWw used until dead batteries... but we would need a flat bed towing to finish the experimentation though! ;)

And yep 170 Wh / km for your return was pretty good. Winds, again, was one of the factors that yield that low consumption.

Last edited:
though I can't explain the gap between your 70.7 kWh VS the 75.9 kWh with you having only couple of KM left on your rated range... let's not forget that this diagram is based on theory only... not sure it was done and calculated in real life...

I guess that this 0 mile protection number is somewhat arbitrary and decided by Tesla (and is not some fixed in stone scientific basis number). Is it possible that Tesla, in more recent updates would have changed the amount of kWh before you hit the 0 mile protection and the diagram doesn't match reality anymore? Has anyone done any drive to flat bed test lol?

Interesting chart. I get a kick out of the fact that Tesla protects about 17.5kW of battery from normal use - which is slightly bigger than the entire Volt battery! No wonder The Tesla battery lasts so long versus other electric cars (and yes, I know, they use better chemistry too).

I stopped by too on Sunday. Maybe someone who knows more about utility equipment than me can tell us if this might be the utility transformer that the superchargers would use. It's next to a curb that looks like it's intended for a row of parking spaces, but it might just be a transformer and parking for the stores being built. All speculation at this point...

View attachment 58269

I saw this yesterday too and I got my hopes up for a split second. I don't think its anything SC related though as the concrete was already done and I didn't see any wiring for the stalls. Also, I kept my eyes peeled for any crates, but didn't see any, or anything with a Tesla logo. They were starting beams on a 2nd unit when I was there. The crew looks pathetically small for the size of this job, I hope they are going to step it up soon, or it will be well into 2015 before this project is done!

I saw this yesterday too and I got my hopes up for a split second. I don't think its anything SC related though as the concrete was already done and I didn't see any wiring for the stalls. Also, I kept my eyes peeled for any crates, but didn't see any, or anything with a Tesla logo. They were starting beams on a 2nd unit when I was there. The crew looks pathetically small for the size of this job, I hope they are going to step it up soon, or it will be well into 2015 before this project is done!

@hingisfan
Thanks a lot for your research. However i am not convinced that this site is the actual location for the SC. Maybe you are looking in the wrong place? (just hoping ..)

@hingisfan
Thanks a lot for your research. However i am not convinced that this site is the actual location for the SC. Maybe you are looking in the wrong place? (just hoping ..)

Could this be some Tesla Energy Storage equipment? See the pictures at Tesla Supercharger network - Page 540 that clearly show "Energy Storage" on the labels. Energy Storage and peak leveling is another business that Tesla is entering.

DemandLogic Demand Response - Commercial Solar Solutions | SolarCity

This week, we opened Superchargers in Toronto and Cornwall in Ontario. This is a good start for Supercharging in Eastern Canada, and there is still work to be done.
Many sites are entering the zoning and permitting phase so we encourage you to show your continued support by writing, emailing, or calling utility companies and local government to let them know how important Supercharging is for you and local communities.

We continue to push forward to ensure that the major Canadian routes on our 2014 map are enabled as quickly as possible.

Eastern Canada:
o Priority routes: Toronto–Montreal, Montreal–Quebec City, Toronto–North Bay (via Barrie)
o Toronto, ON and Cornwall, ON are now open, and we realize the need for Kingston, ON to come online quickly in order to complete the Toronto–Montreal route.
o Drummondville, QC is on track to break ground shortly, enabling Montreal–Quebec City.
o Barrie, ON and other sites will open throughout fall depending on permitting and utility company timing.

2014-09-03_1545_Eastern_CA.png

Western Canada:
o Priority routes: Vancouver–Whistler, Vancouver–Banff, Calgary–Edmonton
o Squamish, BC, our first Canadian Supercharger site, opened in July.
o We have broken ground in Hope, BC, which is on track to be the next Western Canada Supercharger.
o Sites have been selected for the remaining five Supercharging locations along the Western Canada routes and we are now into the utility and permitting phases. Other sites will open throughout fall depending on permit and utility company timing.

2014-09-03_1545_Western_CA.png

As we navigate through the zoning, permitting, and utility company processes, we continue our policy to communicate firm timing and locations once we and our partners are sure a site will be open.

The TM Ownership account has only three posts, one to dispel HeartBleed vulnerability rumors, and two in this thread. Not sure what this means.

In any case, thanks to TM for paying contractors OT in order to complete Cornwall and Toronto before the holiday weekend. Now, if TM could just plan on Supercharging more of the Trans-Canada Highway East of Drummondville. After all, Quebec leads North America in lowest CO2 per kWh produced, so Supercharger sites there would do the most for offsetting CO2. Thank you.

The TM Ownership account has only three posts, one to dispel HeartBleed vulnerability rumors, and two in this thread. Not sure what this means.

In any case, thanks to TM for paying contractors OT in order to complete Cornwall and Toronto before the holiday weekend. Now, if TM could just plan on Supercharging more of the Trans-Canada Highway East of Drummondville. After all, Quebec leads North America in lowest CO2 per kWh produced, so Supercharger sites there would do the most for offsetting CO2. Thank you.

+1

We all appreciate your good efforts...

Last edited:
My Tesla advisor (or whatever you want to call it) wrote me back yesterday... Casselman is in the plan (was surprised b/c we almost never spoke about this one). I was asking him if with the new Montréal site they would put SC's over there, with a «vague» yes (no) he wrote to me that Toronto-Kingston-Cornwall-Drummundville (the Québec - Windsor corridor) AND Casselman was priority before Montréal.

So Casselman is coming soon I guess...

Theres no way Kingston will be that soon. Checked this week and they have only just put beams up for one of the 15 units going in. Area will be under major construction for the next 6-12 weeks. I can't see them opening a SC until its nearly finished. I'll keep popping by every week or so though.

Please keep us informed of developments as Kingston site will need a major stop on Ottawa-Toronto travel.

I don't think those are crates - maybe concrete forms or something. I'll stop by again tomorrow in daylight and get some better pictures.

Here are some more pictures from today of the rumored Kingston supercharger site. Again, others who know more can comment, but I think this shows that this box is not for the superchargers and there's still no sign of any construction for the Kingston supercharger. Also, the yellow thing in the background is a dumpster, not a crate :smile:.

DSC_0001.jpg

DSC_0002 - Version 4.jpg
DSC_0002 - Version 3.jpg
DSC_0001 - Version 2.jpg

Given Tesla's message from today, I'm wondering (and hoping) if they have given up on waiting for this site to be ready and are considering another site.

I'm sure this has been mentioned before, but there is a conflict between this map and the one at Supercharger | Tesla Motors

The red dot over Chatham-Kent doesn't show up anymore on the teslamotors.com site, even if you expand out to 2015. I suspect TM Ownership's map (with a star over Chatham-Kent) is more accurate because a prior version was the first to reveal Barrie. Also, it's easier to overlook a site when you're maintaining maps of the world as opposed to concentrating on a region. However, does anyone have a more educated guess?

Status
Not open for further replies.