Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Canadian Pricing and Delivery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
CAD has been low lately. Its trending back to par again, but at this crucial time (I assume we'll see prices soon for the S), will this affect our chances of seeing comparable prices? Or is the rate totally irrelevant?

For the last two years we've been losing a few cents on every dollar we make, and now that Tesla is setting their prices the Greece/Spain thing makes the exchange rate blip. :mad:

The fact that the pricing didn't get released with the Model S tour, as originally promised, makes me think they decided to hold off because of the blip. I really hope they're sensible about this.

I think that the main determinant of Canadian delivery is Transport Canada. I asked if they (Tesla) had started the homologation process, and they said yes, but only recently. I think they had to wait for all the US approvals to come through first, then apply to TC. Hopefully the skids in Ottawa were greased by the Roadster, and things will go faster this time.

I also asked if CDN Sigs will overlap US Sigs. They said they hoped so.

I also asked if CDN Sigs will overlap US Sigs. They said they hoped so.

That would be great, since some of us have been waiting a reeeeeally long time! :) "Fair" is kind of irrelevant, but it would be fair to let at least the first few Canadians slip ahead of those who have only had signature deposits for a few months.

At the same time, I would be satisfied if we are at least ahead of the USA P's.

I found this article interesting. It appears that most manufacturers try to screw us on their high end vehicles.

I am hoping Tesla is reasonable.

I wonder if they will have the same policy when it comes to Canadians purchasing cars in the US.

I found this article interesting. It appears that most manufacturers try to screw us on their high end vehicles.

I am hoping Tesla is reasonable.

I wonder if they will have the same policy when it comes to Canadians purchasing cars in the US.

I don't know if this makes you feel better or worse but I paid less for my German made car than someone in Germany pays for it.

Well they gripe about shipping costs, when it is common practice to aggregate the total cost of shipping across an entire market (all of Canada) and charge everyone the same costs. And with less car sales, a large country, and bad weather increasing shipping costs I can see it costing an extra $600 bucks for shipping.

As for base cost I think it mostly has to do with engineering Canadian regulation cars (more robust bumpers than US cars IIRC) and the higher priced models are also the lower volume models and thus the cost is more noticeable. I would also bet that some of the base cars are actually specified differently. I could see some cold weather options being on the base Canadian models while being left off the US models.

But I would probably agree that with all of that added in you are still probably paying more than USA people (because saying Americans in this context seems to not be technically correct).

Remember though El, that the majority of the population of Canada lives within 100 miles of the Canada-U. S. Border...and that a good deal of this population is in Southern Ontario which is actually south of much U. S. Territory...many U. S. Model S vehicles will need cold weather capability as well.

It would be a good question for George B...I'd rather doubt that for North American Model S vehicles, that there is any difference between vehicles sold in the North or South...what would happen for Southern vehicles resold in the North?...I think it would be a nightmare to keep track of...

Let me add my two cents worth. I fully agree with what everyone has been saying. There is no real reason to have any kind of large price difference. I swallowed it when i got my Roadster as they gave me a list of reasons (mainly duties) why I was paying a huge premium over the USA pricing but with the S being a production car, made in the USA I see no reason for this. I am nervous that we are end of June with still no pricing. I hold Canadian Signature #8 (R8) and today I got an email from Tesla Canada answering some questions I had asked. In response to when I can expect to be asked for my S configuration I was told they would not be locking in Canadian deliveries until the July-August time frame. I do not know how that translates to delivery of the car but I had always heard 3 months before delivery. This would push the first Signature deliveries in Canada to beginning of November if we assume 3 months and a August 1 lock in. Who knows, maybe the delay is not 3 months but the longer we do not have pricing, the more i feel the deliveries are NOT just around the corner and NOT 3 months after USA deliveries start as was touted all along (to me anyway!).

And in the same email today I was told that They will NOT be offering a lease program for at least 12-18 months as they ''want to preserve capital''. I have always leased my cars and prefer it immensely. I have always told them I needed leasing and this was the first I heard of the non-lease approach. I think they are making a mistake. Many people in the high end luxury car market are used to and expect to be able to lease for convenience. I am really not happy about this.

Anyway, I will wait and see when the lock-in email does come in and post the information here when I get it. Hope everyone else does the same.

Roadster 1281, S Signature 8 (Canada)

I hear you on the lack of leasing and agree with you 100 % znino...they are making a mistake here imo...funny how Elon thanked Roadster owners at the ceremony delivering the first Model S...no leasing on the "S" is not a great way of showing it I think...

Edit...I think the 3 month difference between U. S. and Canadian production is still valid ... I think the time from lock in until delivery is somewhat variable.

Last edited:
The line "preserving capital" doesn't hold water. A leasing company would buy the Model S outright from Tesla Motors, acting as the middle-man. Tesla gets their cash, you get your car. Of course, this arrangement comes at a price to you, but there are many good reasons why this lease arrangements works well. It would not affect TSLA's income or balance sheet at all, if arranged properly.

I hear you on the lack of leasing and agree with you 100 % znino...they are making a mistake here imo...funny how Elon thanked Roadster owners at the ceremony delivering the first Model S...no leasing on the "S" is not a great way of showing it I think...

Edit...I think the 3 month difference between U. S. and Canadian production is still valid ... I think the time from lock in until delivery is somewhat variable.

Let's hope you are right Jaff! Keep me posted if you hear anything about your lock-in.

The line "preserving capital" doesn't hold water. A leasing company would buy the Model S outright from Tesla Motors, acting as the middle-man. Tesla gets their cash, you get your car. Of course, this arrangement comes at a price to you, but there are many good reasons why this lease arrangements works well. It would not affect TSLA's income or balance sheet at all, if arranged properly.

I agree with your Robert 100% and that is exactly what I wrote back to Tesla when I heard it. That's why I put Preserving Capital in quotes. It's a load of excuses IMO

I believe Tesla may have an issue with the percentage of foriegn content in the Model S, due to the Panasonic batteries among other things. If they can't demonstrate 50% North American content then we may have to pay import duty, like the Roadster. I would not be surprised if that was part of the reason for the delay in pricing.

What was the import duty on the roadster? 8%? That would be a bummer.

Hopefully we get our configure e-mails soon, all the videos/pics/reviews have me pretty excited for the car!

I believe Tesla may have an issue with the percentage of foriegn content in the Model S, due to the Panasonic batteries among other things. If they can't demonstrate 50% North American content then we may have to pay import duty, like the Roadster. I would not be surprised if that was part of the reason for the delay in pricing.

What was the import duty on the roadster? 8%? That would be a bummer.

Hopefully we get our configure e-mails soon, all the videos/pics/reviews have me pretty excited for the car!

The import duty is 6.1%. Pretty significant.

As for reviews, well, I gotta say I had high expectations for the car, and they were greatly exceeded. It was a real blast driving it... quite an amazing car!

I was told by someone at the Fremont event that the Canadian pricing will be out within three weeks. Count it down, folks!
Funny, I was told exactly the same timeframe at the Seattle event. I suspect that's just their default answer. I was honestly disappointed with how unknowledgeable the staff were at the event - one of the many incorrect things they tried to tell me was that there would be no price difference between the US & Canada 'just like the Roadster'...