Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Canadian International Auto Show - Green Tech

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Looks good to me ... are you planning any infrastructure for Manitoba?

Yes, Sun Country Highway is rolling out charging infrastructure across Canada.

Smart decision of that company!
Too many implementers of charging-infrastructure just do not know what EV-drivers need!
They just think : "goldrush"!
There is a possibility of making money with charging-infrastructure, but not by just putting slow-chargers at every corner! ;-)

The goal most certainly isn't to make a quick buck; it's a long term proposition. Also the intention is to install higher-power; there's no point installing 30A chargers only to have to upgrade them later.

Thanks for the invite, Rob. I don't get out to Winnipeg often, but I'll definitely try to come out sometime. Might not be until fall though, after my busy work season is over (I'm in agriculture) and I get my Model S.

Manitoba Hydro allows me to sell my excess photovoltaic power to them, but I wouldn't be able to sell to others (obviously). However, I think that MH is open to charging stations, since they would be supplying the electricity to begin with. It would be different if someone set up a generating plant or something.

If Sun Country sets up a TransCanada highway route I would totally use it. Canada is actually simple that way - there really is only one major route apart from southern Ontario's transportation hub. Doug, would they look at Tesla superchargers? Then I wouldn't feel like the dual chargers in my Sig are a waste! :)

If Sun Country sets up a TransCanada highway route I would totally use it. Canada is actually simple that way - there really is only one major route apart from southern Ontario's transportation hub. Doug, would they look at Tesla superchargers? Then I wouldn't feel like the dual chargers in my Sig are a waste! :)

Tesla's doing the superchargers themselves. Sun Country Highway is rolling out Clipper Creek charge stations.

FYI the superchargers don't use the car's internal chargers. The dual chargers are intended for high power AC charging, so they are exactly what you want for the Sun Country Highway chargers, which are similar in capability to the Tesla HPC. I'm sure you'll find a few on the TransCanada.

I have no idea how widely Tesla is planning to roll out superchargers in Canada. So far they've been talking about the 401, so I suspect their initial focus will be the Southern Ontario / Toronto / Ottawa / Montreal / Quebec City corridor. There will be a lot of Model S's in the region. If there are concentrations of Model S's elsewhere in Canada the superchargers will probably appear there too.

Ah, right. I knew that, but my mind is tired tonight and got mixed up with my terms. Superchargers vs. High-power chargers... when I asked Tesla about the superchargers they were non-commital about Canadian specifics. Anyway, nice to know there are some high-power charging plans for the #1. No one really wants to get stuck in Regina for 8 hours waiting to charge up. ; P