Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Canadian CHAdeMO charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I tried to buy from Toronto SC and they told me to buy online and they have to add firmware to the car.:mad: if it was 477+ tax I would have totally picked up one.

Are they still selling that story?
I ordered online and picked up my Chademo adapter from Toronto two months ago. It seemed like it was their first because they booked me a service appointment (in 4 weeks) for a firmware update. Fortunately, I asked around this forum and was correctly told that no firmware was required. I picked up the adapter despite their objections, tested it immediately and told them everything worked.

They then explained they were used to the prototypes that did require some sort of experimental firmware. However, they really should know better at this point.

That said, if you don't have a supercharge enabled car, you will need to turn that on at a cost.

they booked me a service appointment (in 4 weeks) for a firmware update. Fortunately, I asked around this forum and was correctly told that no firmware was required. I picked up the adapter despite their objections, tested it immediately and told them everything worked

@Chrisizzle 's adaptor worked on my 2013 Tesla Model S and I did nothing to prepare to use it. Plug and play!

As per my sig below, I have an early 2013 VIN but latest firmware (based on wiki here on TMC) on my car.

Are they still selling that story?
I ordered online and picked up my Chademo adapter from Toronto two months ago. It seemed like it was their first because they booked me a service appointment (in 4 weeks) for a firmware update. Fortunately, I asked around this forum and was correctly told that no firmware was required. I picked up the adapter despite their objections, tested it immediately and told them everything worked.

They then explained they were used to the prototypes that did require some sort of experimental firmware. However, they really should know better at this point.

That said, if you don't have a supercharge enabled car, you will need to turn that on at a cost.

Thanks guys. Mississauga or Toronto? It seems it might be difficult to get them to sell it to me as they were adamant that I had to buy online :biggrin: for me and the amount of km I put on its always good to have good charging options.

Thanks. I guess I'll order online. Thought steph_s was able to pay and pick up locally.

Correct. Went to the service centre in Montréal, paid $477+tax($CAD) and walked away. CHAdeMO adapter worked out of the box.
IMG_7433 small.jpeg

May I ask how much you paid at the SC. I ordered online and paid USD. I am kind of pissed. Will have to get in touch with them.

I paid $800.00 Cdn. + taxes (total $904.00) for my HPWC at the Service Center. I just checked and it is $750.00 US on the Tesla site, but then you'd have to add shipping and (I assume) duty and taxes to that as well, not to mention the exchange rate. This was back in June or July.

I paid $800.00 Cdn. + taxes (total $904.00) for my HPWC at the Service Center. I just checked and it is $750.00 US on the Tesla site, but then you'd have to add shipping and (I assume) duty and taxes to that as well, not to mention the exchange rate. This was back in June or July.

I paid $1003 cdn, with the exchange rate of late July. So, not a big difference, but the SC is a ten minute drive from my home. So still worthwhile.

I paid $1003 cdn, with the exchange rate of late July. So, not a big difference, but the SC is a ten minute drive from my home. So still worthwhile.

I'm curious... is that all in? Often when I order from the US I get dinged for not only HST, but duties and "brokerage fees" from the carrier as well. But yes, I'm just a short drive from my Service Center too. I just dropped in on a Saturday to see if they could order it for me (saving all of the above customs issues) and that's when they told me they kept them in stock.

Last edited:
Charger

Is it worth getting - the CHADeMO charger?

I've already faced a wait at the North Vancouver one where I was desperate and actually waited (free but requires a Greenlots RFID - which is only $10).

And a note to my fellow Canadian's. I have a major drama with using the West Coast Electric Highway DCFC that I hope to update you on soon.

Note: To get the AV aeroenviroment RFID it'll cost you ~ $47 CAD (34.99 USD) as you have to do the monthly unlimited plan $19.99 + $15.00 activation. The plan was to cancel the unlimited plan after a trip and reactivate the plan when needed afterwards. But its not working out well.

Is it worth getting - the CHADeMO charger?

This is impossible to answer without asking yourself where you want to go. If you want to go somewhere off the Supercharger network where there are CHAdeMO chargers, then... maybe? If not, then it definitely isn't worth it. Check plugshare.com

If you're in Vancouver then the Supercharger network already covers travel up the Sea-to_sky highway, the corridor to Calgary via the Trans-Canada highway, as well as down I-5 all the way to San Diego and pretty much all of the U.S. at this point. (Across I-90 all the way to the east coast, into Ontario and Quebec, ...)

Keep in mind that you can usually find a way to charge overnight at destinations. Also, CHAdeMO chargers are not free to use, unlike Superchargers and most destination chargers.

I'm curious... is that all in? Often when I order from the US I get dinged for not only HST, but duties and "brokerage fees" from the carrier as well. But yes, I'm just a short drive from my Service Center too. I just dropped in on a Saturday to see if they could order it for me (saving all of the above customs issues) and that's when they told me they kept them in stock.

Yes, no "extra" charges, other than shipping, though FedEx.
Sometimes the shipping company dings you a few weeks after the delivery, with their surprise "fees". Like a 25$ brokerage fee to tell you your item has no duty.
But it seems FedEx does not play these games.

Le site de la prochaine borne rapide de Lévis : localisé! - AVbec - voiture electrique

I forgot to mention that CHAdeMO in Montebello (between Montreal and Gatineau/Ottawa) is just waiting for utility hookup and should be open before its October first inauguration ceremony.

Also, the Levis CHAdeMO is in a new development that doesn't yet appear in any GPS. The best way to find it is to consult the map modified by hand in the above link.

- - - Updated - - -

I just used the brand new CHAdeMO station in Magog yesterday. I was a bit disappointed to only get 35kW (and I was at a relatively low I first plugged it in..

I too only got a disappointing 105-107 Amps in Magog.I think I've used 12/15 Circuit Électrique CHAdeMO's and its the only one where the current was under 120-125A. Not sure why, since it was after hours and there certainly weren't any competing power loads in the vicinity.

Three months ago, I went on a trip from California to Oregon, Washington, Idaho and Utah. I had to charge in Boise (this was before the Boise SpC went online) and Dillon Nissan was allowing any traveler to charge at their dealership for free. They have 2 charging stations, a J1772A and a CHAdeMO, but since I did not have a CHAdeMO adapter, I could only use the J1772A. I did look at the CHAdeMO station, but it showed a failed message on the screen, and the very helpful staff said it was down more than up, due to continual air filter problems and errors. I decided that having the CHAdeMO adapter would give me options I wouldn't have without it.

About a month ago, I traveled from Lodi, CA to Sarnia, North Bay and Peterborough, and back, and decided to purchase the CHAdeMO adapter so as to have more charging options.

My inclination was to use SpC's whenever possible, and I used the Canadian SpC's in Woodstock, Barrie and Comber. I stayed at the Best Western in North Bay, and used their J1772A charger for overnight charging (ironically, the charger was manufactured in Auburn, CA, not too far from my home base). BTW, the staff at the Best Western on Lakeshore Dr were Extremely accomodating, and is a definite + for Tesla owners traveling in the area. I was expecting to use J1772A charging if time wasn't a concern, and was surprised at the number of HPWC's that were on Plugshare for Ontario Tesla travelers. I was concerned about the Peterborough leg, but found that my range was better due to the lower speed limits (compared with midwestern and western states (70 - 80 mph posted) and as such, my energy consumption per km was low enough that SpC charging took care of the rest of the trip.
I was expecting to use the CHAdeMO adapter for quick charging in Peterborough if it became necessary, but that didn't materialize, even though my travel timetable was very tight.

My CHAdeMO adapter remains unused, but this thread does rekindle my concern about traveling in areas that are only served with single mode or single source chargers. If I limp to a charger, and it is inoperative, I hope there are other proximal solutions. There's several factors in determining preference, but my ultimate concern is the abilty to charge. SpC's, CHAdeMO, HPWC (80A), J1772A (70A), then other J1772A, HPWC's and Nema 14-50 plugs all come before the lowly 120 Volt plug. I also would be prioritizing the Tesla-only options since it would preclude non-Tesla vehicles from occupying that charging stall/location.

I think that this thread does highlight the expanding options of charging; driving across the border does bring a different reality to Tesla owners traveling.

Scotty

In discussions with Circuit electrique officials, I learned there is a substantial premium charged by utilities for demand spikes above 50kw and that this is affecting how EV chargers are installed and operated.

That explains, why CHAdeMO units are installed in singles and provide power a bit below 50kw (i.e. 400v with 124amps or less). In addition, where multiple level 2 chargers are installed, they are frequently programmed to draw less than 50kw total at any point in time. Similarly, a level 2 charger next to a CHAdeMO would reduce the amount of power the CHAdeMO supplies.

Another implication is that Tesla (by ignoring the 50kw threshold) is incurring substantial operating expenses at its superchargers given the premiums charged for power above 50kw.

Demand charges are definitely an issue, which is why batteries will probably be installed at all Superchargers in the future.

In addition to Montebello (open today) and Levis and Val d'Or (imminent) the Circuit Electrique just announced that Mont Joli CHAdeMO will go online this week. Mont Albert just earned at least one new Fall customer.