Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can you think of a reason why.....?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Wol747

Aug 26, 2017
Tea Gardens
About 3 days ago my Model S developed an issue. It MAY not be a fault, just a bug so I don't want to get in touch with service (they are 230Km away) yet.

The rear trunk opens and closes on demand with the fob and from the screen. It closes using the button. But it will not OPEN using the trunk button by the licence plate.

I suspect the button isn't working or is no longer connected but there may be some program which screws it - any ideas?

Have you tried resetting the car? Maybe if that doesn't work ask service to remotely reset it, start a service request and they will try to diagnose it remotely first.

I did that a couple of times (the two-finger salute) the other day with no effect.
Your post nudged me to do it again - and the trunk button worked! Just after I had booked a SC appointment for end July.....
You should start charging.......

• Funny
Reactions: 2101Guy and Nogasmn
So another thing that I do that I haven't seen most talk about is how power cycling the car clears up these phantom bugs or glitches in the code. The car is basically a computer so every now and then it might need a reboot, I always do it after an update. To be clear I am talking about unplugging both batteries in the car, letting it sit for a minute then plug them both in, let it boot up and go for a ride.

So another thing that I do that I haven't seen most talk about is how power cycling the car clears up these phantom bugs or glitches in the code. The car is basically a computer so every now and then it might need a reboot, I always do it after an update. To be clear I am talking about unplugging both batteries in the car, letting it sit for a minute then plug them both in, let it boot up and go for a ride.

The car should reboot whenever it does an update in my opinion. In actuality, it probably does. Still a good idea to reboot manually every now and then. Same with your phone.

Reactions: Nogasmn
Nogasmn said:
>>Have you tried resetting the car? Maybe if that doesn't work ask service to remotely reset it, start a service request and they will try to diagnose it remotely first.<<

>>I did that a couple of times (the two-finger salute) the other day with no effect.
Your post nudged me to do it again - and the trunk button worked! Just after I had booked a SC appointment for end July.....
You should start charging.......<<

Spoke too soon!

Worked several times yesterday, then the button stopped opening the trunk.

Didn't work this morning - then, later, did!

I think there are connections between the trunk and the car's state, but whichever combination of locked/unlocked, door open or closed, it seems random.

If it weren't the fact that after yesterday's reboot it seemed to be fixed I would bet on it being a physical issue with the switch, but the random nature would suggest a computer glitch.

The random nature also suggests a loose connection. Not sure how "handy" you are but I would try to inspect the connection at the switch considering for me the closest service center is a 90 min drive I would try that before making the drive.

can you please explain what that does?....thanks

>>The random nature also suggests a loose connection. Not sure how "handy" you are but I would try to inspect the connection at the switch considering for me the closest service center is a 90 min drive I would try that before making the drive.<<

I would have no issues taking the button facia out and checking but I'm leery about the electrics on this thing. Obviously there's no high voltage there but I don't know what the computer accesses .
Does anyone know whether the trunk button just makes a physical switch, or does it tell the computer "open the trunk"? Makes a difference both to the problem and to undoing screws!

>>So another thing that I do that I haven't seen most talk about is how power cycling the car clears up these phantom bugs or glitches in the code. The car is basically a computer so every now and then it might need a reboot, I always do it after an update. To be clear I am talking about unplugging both batteries in the car, letting it sit for a minute then plug them both in, let it boot up and go for a ride.<<

How do you unplug both batteries? The HV side is not something to play with. Can you instruct the car to go completely dead from the screen?