Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can we expand supercharging ...... Here?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
On the off chance someone at Tesla ever reads this I thought it would be nice to have "Can you please expand the following sites?" thread. Might be useful for those people heading that way to make plans.

I'll start with

Can we please have more chargers at Birchanger (Bishop's Stortford)? There are currently 4 there and I've had to go to rural Suffolk a few times in the last month and this is the last stop out, first stop back and it has always been full up with cars waiting (mainly because there is only 1 other SC in East Anglia I think). Another 4 chargers would make this much easier.

Any other sites?

It'd be qute nice if they stuck a pair in my farmyard 'cos I'm on free but don't suppose it'd be good for the battery to just supercharge and I'd have to put up with you lot wanting tea....
.at least wayleaves wouldn't be an issue with two lots of 3-phase across my land..

• Funny
Reactions: Roy W.
Worth a shot:

Black holes that create pain and range angst:
  1. Charnock Richard Southbound
  2. Newport Pagnel Northbound
  3. A14 nr Cambridge
  4. A55 nr Llandudno
  5. M6/M5 nr Birmingham

There has been a SC “coming in 2019” in Worcester for a while. Date has now changed to 2020 so hopefully still planned. Suspect it will be at Strensham services on the M5 as nothing nearby at the moment and junction with the M50 down to Ross.

I see little point in having superchargers near where you live! Charge at home and use superchargers when road tripping - ie circa 150 miles from towns where a lot of people have Tesla’s!!
I certainly agree with you, that superchargers are for long trips, not for using near home. However, I’d certainly support something in the Bournemouth/Poole/Weymouth area. Remember lots of people holiday in these areas in the summer.

Reactions: ringi and Mark_T
I certainly agree with you, that superchargers are for long trips, not for using near home. However, I’d certainly support something in the Bournemouth/Poole/Weymouth area. Remember lots of people holiday in these areas in the summer.

I agree with this, I come from this area originally and the Easter/Summer demand is not going to be based on local ownership.

Additionally the whole south coast area needs better provision for long distance transit through the area, the proposed Dorchester SC would make a big difference if it ever happens, as would improving the Winchester site, but there is still a significant dead zone down there sadly...
upload_2020-1-11_13-39-11.png

Reactions: CMc1
I see little point in having superchargers near where you live! Charge at home and use superchargers when road tripping - ie circa 150 miles from towns where a lot of people have Tesla’s!!

I don’t live in either Poole or Bournemouth, I commute daily and would find myself wanting to grab a little bit of charge if I needed to travel further than home ;).

A lot of visitors to these two populous towns would warrant it.

Last edited:
I don’t live in either Poole or Bournemouth, I commute daily and would find myself wanting to grab a little bit of charge if I needed to travel further than home ;).

Sorry if I came across as having a bit of a pop at you - I didn’t mean it that way. I am in the same boat in that I would like more than the 2 hidden away superchargers in Edinburgh (which are located in the airport staff car park!!) which is 120 miles from me.
However I know several Edinburgh folk who want more superchargers there as they want to use them, which is not what they’re meant for in my opinion.
If you think you lot are low on a supercharging network down there just try living in N Scotland!
Apologies again
Tony

Reactions: Roy W. and *Adam
If you think you lot are low on a supercharging network down there just try living in N Scotland!

shhh ... someone might notice we don't have it too bad in some other respects!* (Yes I agree the north east and north west could do with some superchargers.)

*What do they ever do for us ... well there's the free charging in most towns, oh and the extra £300 charge point grant on top of the £500 OLEV, and the interest free ev purchase loan ... and some great roads to drive your Tesla on! ;)

Which is why local business should be agitating the council to install rapid chargers and perhaps provide space and power for Tesla to add afew of their own.

shhh ... someone might notice we don't have it too bad in some other respects!* (Yes I agree the north east and north west could do with some superchargers.)

*What do they ever do for us ... well there's the free charging in most towns, oh and the extra £300 charge point grant on top of the £500 OLEV, and the interest free ev purchase loan ... and some great roads to drive your Tesla on! ;)

Absolutely right - we are really lucky up here and although I’m from “darn sarf” I have chosen to stay up here in retirement! Free charging appears to be on the way out though with charging in both Dumfries & Galloway and Dundee. My own county Aberdeenshire has also voted to charge 21p/Kw although it hasn’t kicked in yet, and I’m sure others will go the same way. However I agree with this - I charge mainly at home but for a big charge I’ll pop down to Banchory to charge up for free but feel guilty about it as the taxpayers ultimately pay. Charging will free up points for those that really need it rather than cheapskates like me!

Reactions: Adopado
Keele Southbound is pretty much a necessary charge for anyone heading towards Bristol or further southwest from north of Birmingham, which I assume is quite a common journey, yet at 4 stalls it's low capacity. I'd echo that either an expansion of that site or something M6/M5 a little further south would be a well used addition to the network.

As a devonian I'd also echo the A303 points. Winchester is 2 stall and Fleet faces the wrong way for the A303 desert. The journey is doable but when pretty much everyone heading in a popular direction in the populous S of England needs a particular stop there's surely a bottleneck coming.

That said, looking around the country these issues are hardly unique.....

Something around Narberth, Haverfordwest, Fishguard in West Wales would be game changing for my area, Bridgend is great for work journeys but at 75 miles away it’s not serving Wales for those that live to the left of Swansea :). Even Carmarthen or St Clears would help the area loads :)

As a devonian I'd also echo the A303 points. Winchester is 2 stall and Fleet faces the wrong way for the A303 desert.

If, when heading west up M3 you find yourself borderline struggling to reach Fleet on east/north bound, because Tesla satnav was so helpful by not planning in the road distance, just as crow flied, then Pennyhill destination charger (most expensive coffee in the UK?), a short hop off M3 J3 at 11/22kW will give a useful quick boost in short time. Just ignore final sat nav instructions and don't turn right off of A30 at the traffic lights, but continue short distance and enter into Pennyhill directly off of A30 - Tesla sat nav coming from east will want to bring you in via rear tradesman's only entrance and its a tight spot to turn around,

There are also some Polar rapid chargers currently being installed at Bagshot BP.

Something around Narberth, Haverfordwest, Fishguard in West Wales would be game changing for my area, Bridgend is great for work journeys but at 75 miles away it’s not serving Wales for those that live to the left of Swansea :). Even Carmarthen or St Clears would help the area loads :)

That;s 'cos you must be south wales. The A55 and Aberystwyth sites have been proposed more than 2 years with no signs of progress. Somewhere around Newtown is needed too for anyone making a N-S run without looping around through England. Logic would suggest a site on Angelsey too.
It's perhaps worth noting that the new Morrison's supermarket in Oswestry has 2 new 50kw chargers (geniepoint).
If Tesla needs another site then Nesscliffe services might be worth approaching - decent carpark and refurbed a year or so ago so clean restaurant and toilets - easily room for 4+ chargers assumng available power and would be a good stop if going west and skipping Telford.