Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can I reject perfectly fine car?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My delivery is due 10/9-10/23 and assuming that date sticks I’d like to see if my car is delivered with USS. If not I was thinking of rejecting so I can get a car in November which is likely to be a 2023 model at least and I’ll save on payments and insurance for a time when I won’t be driving anyway. I don’t need a car until late November.

Can I reject a perfectly fine car in this scenario?

Just ask for a one month hold or when a VIN is assigned ask for it to unassigned.

The second VIN you have to take and assuming no major defects… accept delivery. If you reject a perfect fine car at delivery with the second VIN you run the risk of being put on hold and having Tesla HQ auto cancel your order. Remember that Tesla is ran by robots with strict adherence to internal rules.

Is there a way to know if the vin assigned has USS or if it is likely to have it based on the specific build date? My goal is to either get USS or a 2023 car and I would rather have USS so just delaying for 2023 model year is less than ideal.

You can wait for a car you like and take it. A couple months done the road a new feature is offered and you won't have it.........so you never catch up.

I am not waiting for an unknown future feature , I am on the cusp of a new model year (less than a month from my edd) and would like a new model year or if I have to have an old model year car I want to retain an old basic feature.

Here’s the question again, can I reject a car with no problems if I see it in person?

• Funny
Reactions: JDEWD250
I am not waiting for an unknown future feature , I am on the cusp of a new model year (less than a month from my edd) and would like a new model year or if I have to have an old model year car I want to retain an old basic feature.

Here’s the question again, can I reject a car with no problems if I see it in person?
If you want to, but you will have to take the next car no matter what, or lose your deposit, and it may be assigned very quickly.

Reactions: Rotarybuddy
My experience with our recently purchased M3 SR; Notified car was ready for pick-up early August (4th). We were on Cape Cod, car in AZ, put car "on-hold."

Several weeks later (August 24th) notified car ready for pick-up. Last chance to get car or we lose it (and pay $5,000 more due to price increase since our order April 1st.) Picked-up car August 29th in Scottsdale AZ (drove six days from the Cape in our MY. The pick-up went very smoothly.)

So, I found that "things" happen quickly with Tesla. No flexibility I could discover or access over the phone.

Rich

I did purchase a car with USS, I placed my order in November. I figure after waiting for a year I shouldn't get shortchanged with a previous model year and no USS. I am only trying to stall a couple weeks for a 2023 car if USS is not possible and I don't know that I would know if the car has USS unless I see it in person.

I did purchase a car with USS, I placed my order in November. I figure after waiting for a year I shouldn't get shortchanged with a previous model year and no USS. I am only trying to stall a couple weeks for a 2023 car if USS is not possible and I don't know that I would know if the car has USS unless I see it in person.
All model 3's made going forward from October 4th are 2023's.

Only 2023 Model 3's are without USS.

My wife received her VIN a couple of days ago. 2023 with no USS.

Just ask for a one month hold or when a VIN is assigned ask for it to unassigned.

The second VIN you have to take and assuming no major defects… accept delivery. If you reject a perfect fine car at delivery with the second VIN you run the risk of being put on hold and having Tesla HQ auto cancel your order. Remember that Tesla is ran by robots with strict adherence to internal rules.
Well, why should Tesla be expected to place an indefinite hold on a car ordered months previously, probably at a lower price? I don't understand why, with their current demand, people expect that Tesla should do all of this backlog management. This topic comes up every time there is a new federal incentive or a new feature about to be announced (remember all of those people waiting over a year for the 4680 batteries?). If you want a Tesla MY, take it when offered. If not, cancel your order and then order when you're ready to accept.

Well, why should Tesla be expected to place an indefinite hold on a car ordered months previously, probably at a lower price? I don't understand why, with their current demand, people expect that Tesla should do all of this backlog management. This topic comes up every time there is a new federal incentive or a new feature about to be announced (remember all of those people waiting over a year for the 4680 batteries?). If you want a Tesla MY, take it when offered. If not, cancel your order and then order when you're ready to accept.
Cool your jets there and read my question again. I am not delaying forever , I am asking if I can reject a car with no visual defect so that I may delay for roughly 2 weeks. I am seeking to have a car with the sensors they removed or as we are about two weeks away from model year 2023 I would like to receive a car in the current model year instead of what will appear to be an older vehicle when I go to sell this thing.

Because of Tesla's poor planning or desire to deliver higher priced cars first to help themselves the car I ordered a year ago and was promised in May is now being delivered in October after jerking me around until the very last minute. It is not unreasonable for me to ask if I can reject a vehicle and get the next one in two weeks time if the vehicle I am presented does not have the basic sensors I want and were on the vehicle when I agreed to purchase. Getting a 2023 model year is a consolation.

Tesla people really are a special breed ...

Last edited:
Tesla people really are a special breed ...
This is why I have this waiting for my car.

people suck

ABB22BE4-52EE-46A3-8E08-D71E6CDE0B63.jpeg

Check your order agreement, should tell you how many days you may push the sale out from "first contact" before they cancel you.

Also, if it was anything like the radar removal transition, they may send you an email notice that USS has been removed and give you the opportunity to cancel for free.

It may be worth waiting to see what the first cars with no USS actually look like, in case there are other changes, or USS are tied to the model year. As far as I've seen, no one has actually gotten one delivered yet.

Yea, I am supposed to take delivery Thursday. I want to go physically see the car and if it doesn't have the sensors I am ok rejecting and taking the next but I am running the risk of the second one being a dumpster fire of poor craftsmanship. I just don't know if Tesla will let me reject a car I have physically seen when there is nothing wrong with it.

• Funny
Reactions: JDEWD250 and MR F
Check your order agreement, should tell you how many days you may push the sale out from "first contact" before they cancel you.

Also, if it was anything like the radar removal transition, they may send you an email notice that USS has been removed and give you the opportunity to cancel for free.

It may be worth waiting to see what the first cars with no USS actually look like, in case there are other changes, or USS are tied to the model year. As far as I've seen, no one has actually gotten one delivered yet.
Appearantly I'm the only one who has no idea what USS means. A little help please?

Reactions: Occhis and house9
Makes sense, I would bet that your Thursday car will still have USS, but curious to know if it doesn't.

You can reject the car for any reason I believe, but I have never done this, you can also try putting it "on hold" ahead if thursday if you don't want to test it but yes I think after the first rejection you may be forced to take the car or cancel. I think this applies even if the first car is also a "dumpster fire"

Either way, would appreciate keeping us updated with what Tesla says, seems these policies change relatively often so it's nice when people share their experiences here.

Reactions: Rotarybuddy
Yea, I am supposed to take delivery Thursday. I want to go physically see the car and if it doesn't have the sensors I am ok rejecting and taking the next but I am running the risk of the second one being a dumpster fire of poor craftsmanship. I just don't know if Tesla will let me reject a car I have physically seen when there is nothing wrong with it.

But from your point of view, there WOULD be something wrong with it (no sensors). You can reject one, as that would be unacceptable to you (and also pass the "smell test" from the tesla delivery agent, especially if you are not rude about it, which from how you are posting here I am fairly sure you would not be.

The issue is, you could get assigned another one not too long after that, and who knows what condition it would be in (although in general they are not as bad as people would have you believe, there are definitely outliers that are worse than others).