Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Camping in/with a Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I camp in my 3 with my two kids (10 and 12) every year since I've had the car. I have home made window blinds which are padded on the inside and have dark velvety fabric on the outside, put the rear seats down and use matting and a big duvet. It's a bit cramped but works just fine.

I use the park4night app to sus out a good spot after we've finished whatever we were doing for the day. Usually a layby on a deserted country road, a carpark deep in a forest or on one occasion a national trust car park.

We've only been disturbed once in the 8 nights we've done it so far and it was by the police. It seems that someone else in the same carpark had reported us as they were worried about what we were doing. Had a lovely chat to them, they checked some details then left us alone for the night.

I camp in my 3 with my two kids (10 and 12) every year since I've had the car. I have home made window blinds which are padded on the inside and have dark velvety fabric on the outside, put the rear seats down and use matting and a big duvet. It's a bit cramped but works just fine.

I use the park4night app to sus out a good spot after we've finished whatever we were doing for the day. Usually a layby on a deserted country road, a carpark deep in a forest or on one occasion a national trust car park.

We've only been disturbed once in the 8 nights we've done it so far and it was by the police. It seems that someone else in the same carpark had reported us as they were worried about what we were doing. Had a lovely chat to them, they checked some details then left us alone for the night.
Nice, reassuring that you can get 3 of you in there! I'm 6'1 but my girlfriend is only 5' so I reckon we could make it work 👍🏻

*Sam has left the chat*

giphy.gif

• Funny
Reactions: SamWhu30
I’m surprised to see that no one has brought this up yet but I think it would be good to have a thread where people post sites across the UK where they have either camped and been able to plug in or places that people have been able to sleep in their Tesla without being disturbed.

I think it’s a really cool idea (maybe a novelty) but I will definitely be trying it out.

So… where’s the best places to go?
If that's your thing, cars with V2L technology are the way to go (or the cyber truck with a UK hack)

In the meantime, you could go pretty much anywhere you like and just stick your hazard lights on. Anyone knocks your window in the middle of the night, just say the cars running an OTA software update to fix your 'stuck in park' error ;)

we also use Park4Night and have slept in the car as a couple, solo and with our 7 year old on a number of occasions. We have an inflatable mattress and use pillows and sleeping bags. Always comfy enough. It helps to have something to prop up the end of the mattress where your head is as that will overhang the folded rear seat with the front seats forward. Put your gear in a couple of carry on suitcases and they do a fine job of holding the mattress up. The only real pain is that in my 50s I always need at least one trip outside per night and it's not the easiest to get out of when you're all nice and cosy.

We scout for sites with a supercharger nearby so that we can top up first thing in the morning and/or last thing at night.

"Seen lots of campsites that offer electric but have a strict no EV charging policy" - really? We've used maybe 6 campsites in the last 4 years with our car and never had an issue at all to the point where I've given up asking and just plug in no worries. At one site where the owner was clueless and I was the first EV owner he'd met, he was thinking of introducing a very hefty nightly fee, I offered to monitor charge amount and pay him exactly what we'd used. It came to £40 for the entire week of being out and about all day every day. He was really surprised it didn't cost him that per day!

Reactions: SamWhu30
I drove the North Coast 500 in October '22. There are carparks and lay-bys on the route. I made window blinds. It's acceptable to stay for one night and move on. I charged on Charge place Scotland chargers. I found that charging about 20kwh per day, the battery kept the cabin warm enough without camp mode. The sense of isolation on the west coast was amazing.

Reactions: WannabeOwner
Wild camp where ever you want for the moment... I dont think anyone would think of you as a homeless...intriguing yes, but has mentioned never overstay your welcome or someone else's curiosity.

Its a great hack for sure and you have to do it at least once...or twice ;)

True, but I'm still surprised that people haven't had a really good experience somewhere and then its sparked off a conversation.

I wanted to hear peoples experiences on both tbh. Seen lots of campsites that offer electric but have a strict no EV charging policy, even seen stories of people being told to pack up and leave after charging their car! 😂

Regarding stealth camping I saw someone on TikTok that parks in a car park and puts shades on the windows and because no one would expect people to sleep in a car so it's fine.
I take my boy stealth camping often, never had a dreaded knock. Stick blackout material on the rear windows (cheap stuff from amazon, cut to size and use suction caps) , drop the rear seats, pump up the 10cm thick materasse (raised the boot floor level using kids interlocking 30x30 floor mats to bring it up to the same level as the back seat when folded otherwise theres that massive step and seriously uncomfortable), set camp mode, sleep like a baby!

We park up in any free carpark where there are already a few cars alreasy parked which sem like they will be there all night and usually in a corner / quiet part. Tried some main road lay-bys a few times, used by lorry drivers, but those can be really noisy if you are a light sleeper (or wear ear plugs)

This was us at the weekend. Here is my write up from Tesla owners U.K.:

Following on from my last post about towing, we took our caravan out at the weekend for a first test weekend away. So how did we get on?

We picked a little site 94 miles away from home and just went for it. The tow out was a breeze, as you all know, electric cars pull like trains so there was no issues on those side of things. So what about the range?

It was 1C when we left on Friday morning and we mostly chilled on motorway tucked in with the trucks and averaged 567wh/mile so an effective range of 132 miles in winter. We left on 97% (battery preconditioning was working hard) and got to the destination with 24%.

We charged up on a mix of the granny charger on the electric hook up and an 11kw public charger in the local town.

The way home was more interesting with storm Isha, bearing down on Sunday. I thought I’d test what the consumption would be if we drove at 60mph directly into a 40mph head wind with no drafting. The answer is 700wh/mile over about 30 miles! The car/caravan was pretty stable on the easterly leg with the cross winds, I was expecting the exposed sections to be more hairy than it was.

We tucked it in with the trucks for the rest of the journey at 56mph and the final efficiency was 584wh/mile. It was about 8C when we left which made a big difference to the first leg.

In all honesty, the extra 4 mph makes almost zero difference to travel time but a big impact on efficiency (even without the wind), so in conclusion it’s just not worth it. Find a truck doing 56 and just stick with it with TACC on distance 7 (I wish it had a 9 setting to increase the distance a little).

Attachments

• IMG_6291.jpeg
    IMG_6291.jpeg
    398.7 KB · Views: 24
Reactions: philip295
we also use Park4Night and have slept in the car as a couple, solo and with our 7 year old on a number of occasions. We have an inflatable mattress and use pillows and sleeping bags. Always comfy enough. It helps to have something to prop up the end of the mattress where your head is as that will overhang the folded rear seat with the front seats forward. Put your gear in a couple of carry on suitcases and they do a fine job of holding the mattress up. The only real pain is that in my 50s I always need at least one trip outside per night and it's not the easiest to get out of when you're all nice and cosy.

We scout for sites with a supercharger nearby so that we can top up first thing in the morning and/or last thing at night.

"Seen lots of campsites that offer electric but have a strict no EV charging policy" - really?

Yes.

I can see why they don’t want you charging on the EHU, generally speaking the pitch price simply doesn’t cover people sucking up an extra 24+kwh a day (assuming 12+ hours charging).

They also have similar issues with people using 2kw electric fan heaters in their awnings heating the world around them. People are also bringing cheap electric appliances (air fryers, hot plates etc) rather than using the built in LPG appliances.

It’s not nothing to do with the electrical infrastructure not being up to it, it’s simply that sites are seeing their power usage skyrocket before EVs turn up.

However many are putting in sensible policies. For example if you stay at a caravan club site, you can have unlimited charging for £9/night. Others are going own the metered electric route with say the first 10kwh for free. In almost all cases I have seen you have to plug your granny charger into your caravan or camping adapter using a 3 pin plug. You aren’t allowed to plug directly into the EHU at 16a. It makes sense as caravans and those camping adaptors should be fitted with RCDs and the EHU may not be.

Going back to the above post, we stayed 2 nights and were on metered electric, we burnt through 70kwh and half a bottle of gas. It was very cold and windy so I’m not surprised. I also charged 23kwh on a public charger.