Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Camping?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
From the reviews I have read of government run RV sites in Texas, it seems like they won't allow you to pitch a tent at all in an RV spot, but they have a camping area. I definitely don't want to be in a tent is South Texas for most of the year, so I guess and RV site is just a bad idea all around for Tesla owners that want to car camp.
there are a lot of people on youtube that successfully camp in the Y and even the 3, they do mention the camp ground names

With the Tesla MCU use at camp grounds for plug in
Use a direct TT-30 adapter to the MCU, seems expensive
$75
1687443416932.png

MCU to TT-30 MCU adapter
Or just an adapter of MCU to 14-30/50 to TT-30 adapter
1687443471446.png

Can be as low as $10

Which option is best?

TT30R >> TT-30P / 14-50R adapter >> 14-50P UMC will not work. I tried this out at a family member's house allowing me to plug my 14-50 UMC into their TT-30 receptacle. The car would not charge even though power was available. I think it's because the receptacle is 120v, but the car/UMC is expecting 240v since you're using the 14-50 UMC adapter.

I've done a TT-30R >> TT-30P / 5-15R adapter >> 5-15P UMC which worked well one trip, though only at 12A.

Hey, have any of you done much camping in your Tesla? I’ve been a bit frustrated that many RV sights don’t allow you to use them with the car and a tent. So it seems really difficult to find a spot with a 50 amp charger. I would love to be able to plug in and have a full charge by morning, and tent camp. What has your experience been?

Also, we are thinking of camping near at Crater Lake this summer. Any good ideas? It might be late to book some of the sites.
Plugshare shows free charging available near me the park.

Awesome. Hey, do you mind sharing what kind of teardrop trailer you have, and what you get for watts per mile? I have a Model S70D and I may upgrade to the 100KW battery pack. If I did that, I think I might get a trailer.
I have a 13ft bushwhacker 10HD when towing it's around 580 wh/mi so I just round to 600 when planning with ABRP. Works great and no issues, some superchargers I have to drop the trailer, others have a pull in space, and others are empty so I go sideways and take like 4 spaces. I also stay at 65 mph or below on the freeway IDGAF just roll in the slow lane and let folks pass.

TT30R >> TT-30P / 14-50R adapter >> 14-50P UMC will not work. I tried this out at a family member's house allowing me to plug my 14-50 UMC into their TT-30 receptacle. The car would not charge even though power was available. I think it's because the receptacle is 120v, but the car/UMC is expecting 240v since you're using the 14-50 UMC adapter.

I've done a TT-30R >> TT-30P / 5-15R adapter >> 5-15P UMC which worked well one trip, though only at 12A.
You can do TT30 to 14-50 I have one in my car you just have to build it yourself with parts from home Depot. The N and the hot lines are backwards on all The adapters you can buy commercially. and when you plug in you have to manually set it down from the 40A the car thinks it can pull to the 24A it actually can pull.

So if you buy a TT30 a foot of 8-2 wire and a 14-50 you can wire up and it works just fine. I was just using mine a couple days ago at a campground. It charges slow, (obviously) 24A 120v so about 13 hours to go from 50% to 90%

Please confirm these two parts plus a length of 8/2 and flip the hot leads
View attachment 950082
Yup those look good, and technically you can use 10/2 but for things like this I always up size one so that is 8-2 and you only need 1ft but you can grab 2 ft so there is a little more room to work with if you need.
Also if you don't know how to wire up an outlet or are inexperienced withe electric stuff I suggest having a friend help you out so you don't screw it up and potentially burn something down.

You can do TT30 to 14-50 I have one in my car you just have to build it yourself with parts from home Depot. The N and the hot lines are backwards on all The adapters you can buy commercially. and when you plug in you have to manually set it down from the 40A the car thinks it can pull to the 24A it actually can pull.

So if you buy a TT30 a foot of 8-2 wire and a 14-50 you can wire up and it works just fine. I was just using mine a couple days ago at a campground. It charges slow, (obviously) 24A 120v so about 13 hours to go from 50% to 90%
I guess the UMC doesn't really care about starting voltage after all. I know the car will freak out and adjust current/abort the charge if the voltage drops much from where it started, but it sounds like there's no "intelligence" in the UMC to expect certain voltage when using certain adapters; it only sets the max current. This adapter apparently does the "rewiring" for you to use it with an EVSE: https://www.amazon.com/Parkworld-885378-Adapter-TT-30P-14-50R

I pulled this from one of the reviews.

"Just make sure you set your charging amps to 24A because otherwise the Tesla/UMC will still think it's on a 50A socket.If you want to know why it is for Tesla/EVs only, it works by dropping the 120V leg and the neutral onto what was both of the -120 and +120 on the 14-50. This adapter tricks the UMC into thinking it's just getting a low voltage 14-50 connection."
"Low voltage 14-50 connection." :D The cost of the adapter is just shy of half the proper UMC TT-30 adapter. While I would not say it is unsafe use the adapter if you set the current properly, it's still something to consider and is not technically kosher.

Reactions: Darmie