Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Camping?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey, have any of you done much camping in your Tesla? I’ve been a bit frustrated that many RV sights don’t allow you to use them with the car and a tent. So it seems really difficult to find a spot with a 50 amp charger. I would love to be able to plug in and have a full charge by morning, and tent camp. What has your experience been?

Also, we are thinking of camping near at Crater Lake this summer. Any good ideas? It might be late to book some of the sites.

We have camped in our previous Model S, and our current Model Y, at both private and State Park RV sites, sleeping inside the car or inside a tent or a small travel trailer. No one has ever said we can't plug in and charge. If you pay for an RV site with 50 amp service, you should be allowed to use that service for EV charging. Keep in mind that the Mobile Connector Kit is limited to 32 amps when plugged into a 50 amp receptacle.
The small travel trailer, that the Model Y tows easily, only needs a 120v/30amp connection. Most RV sites with electrical service have that, and a 240v/50amp connection. It's sweet to plug the trailer and EV in at the same time. Never had any issues.

Reactions: springdaisy82
Tents don't need 50A service. Tent camping is usually segregated from the camper area, because tent folks like a little more peace and quiet.
Why do you need 50A charging? 120C@30A (with a TT adapter) does a great job as well as 120V@20A or 120V@15A. If you are there for a few days, either one should work.

A 240V@50A plug will generally charge you in 2-4 hours. It's called camping, get out and enjoy the wilderness, spend more than 4 hours there.

A 120V@15A plug will add 5mph. Leave it plugged in all weekend and you've got a full battery.

We have camped in our previous Model S, and our current Model Y, at both private and State Park RV sites, sleeping inside the car or inside a tent or a small travel trailer. No one has ever said we can't plug in and charge. If you pay for an RV site with 50 amp service, you should be allowed to use that service for EV charging. Keep in mind that the Mobile Connector Kit is limited to 32 amps when plugged into a 50 amp receptacle.
The small travel trailer, that the Model Y tows easily, only needs a 120v/30amp connection. Most RV sites with electrical service have that, and a 240v/50amp connection. It's sweet to plug the trailer and EV in at the same time. Never had any issues.
Please detail those connections as I thought only one outlet is available.

Tents don't need 50A service. Tent camping is usually segregated from the camper area, because tent folks like a little more peace and quiet.
Why do you need 50A charging? 120C@30A (with a TT adapter) does a great job as well as 120V@20A or 120V@15A. If you are there for a few days, either one should work.

A 240V@50A plug will generally charge you in 2-4 hours. It's called camping, get out and enjoy the wilderness, spend more than 4 hours there.

A 120V@15A plug will add 5mph. Leave it plugged in all weekend and you've got a full battery.
Yea, this weekend we just had a 120 connection, and it worked fine. But for Crater Lake, we plan to drive up and around the rim each day, so it will add up with all the hills. It would be nice to get back, plug in, and full charge by morning.

I tow a teardrop trailer behind my car. When I go to an actual campground (prefer boondocking) I will plug in the car to whatever the pedstool has. Usually it's a 30A TT30 so that charges at 24A 120v and takes an average of 14 hours to go from 40-90%.
Sometimes I get a site that has a 50A 14-50 which charges at 40A 240v and takes a few hours to get the same amount of juice.

Many camping sites have older and marginal electrical infrastructure. Offer 30 amp (120V) or 50 amp (240V) plugs.

They do not have enough capacity to recharge a bunch of EVs. Their cost of the electricity to charge up an EV can be almost as much as they charge for a camping site. Usually have separate areas for RVs and tent campers.

This sleeping in an EV, while charging is something relatively new for them, it it will take some time for them to develop new policies.

Speak nicely to them and they might be able to come up with a spot for your individual situation. If they are relatively empty they will have more incentive to find you a spot than if they are fully booked.

Yea, this weekend we just had a 120 connection, and it worked fine. But for Crater Lake, we plan to drive up and around the rim each day, so it will add up with all the hills. It would be nice to get back, plug in, and full charge by morning.
There are a number of campground where large motorhomes and campers can't go to as well. That's because the lots are too small or lack of 50A services.
There is no solution for everything.

BTW, hills don't really matter, it's the old adage, what goes up must some down. To a great degree, what you lose going up hills get lost going down the other side. I've got a mountain near me where the utilization goes well above 999w/mile on the way up. It happens to go below -999w/mile on the way down. But overall, for the 60 miles of road, it's pretty much zeros itself out.

With the 30 amp site, do you get about 6 mph or so? What is the charging speed?
Something isn't quite right here.

With a 120V 15A plug, I get 5 mph. A 120V 20A should give you 6mph.

Oh yeah, it's probably a problem with the adapter.

I tow a teardrop trailer behind my car. When I go to an actual campground (prefer boondocking) I will plug in the car to whatever the pedstool has. Usually it's a 30A TT30 so that charges at 24A 120v and takes an average of 14 hours to go from 40-90%.
Sometimes I get a site that has a 50A 14-50 which charges at 40A 240v and takes a few hours to get the same amount of juice.
Awesome. Hey, do you mind sharing what kind of teardrop trailer you have, and what you get for watts per mile? I have a Model S70D and I may upgrade to the 100KW battery pack. If I did that, I think I might get a trailer.

If you go the TT 30 plug adapter route, ensure it's designed to work for car charging. You can always just order the Gen 2 mobile adapter that plugs right in. This should also set the car's correct amperage.

Don't mention the car camping. Bring a small tent, sometimes you may need to put it up. If it's pouring rain no one will bother you about sleeping in the car.

From the reviews I have read of government run RV sites in Texas, it seems like they won't allow you to pitch a tent at all in an RV spot, but they have a camping area. I definitely don't want to be in a tent is South Texas for most of the year, so I guess and RV site is just a bad idea all around for Tesla owners that want to car camp.