Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • Want to remove ads? Register an account and login to see fewer ads, and become a Supporting Member to remove almost all ads.
  • Tesla's Supercharger Team was recently laid off. We discuss what this means for the company on today's TMC Podcast streaming live at 1PM PDT. You can watch on X or on YouTube where you can participate in the live chat.

Camping in the 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone done a night or two in their car? Any suggestions, as I wouldn't mind giving it a crack. Think I need a mattress or can I get away with just layering a couple of doonas?

Cheers.
Haven't done it yet but I've got some thin blow up mattresses from Aldi a few months ago.

Suggestions seem to be remove the rear seat cushion (need to unclip one wire) for a fully flat surface and more room in the mid-section.

There are also some dedicated products

Haven't done it yet but I've got some thin blow up mattresses from Aldi a few months ago.

Suggestions seem to be remove the rear seat cushion (need to unclip one wire) for a fully flat surface and more room in the mid-section.

There are also some dedicated products
That's a good idea, didn't think about taking that route. Was laying in the back yesterday thinking what could be done about the lowered back seat angle. This could work.

I'm really keen to try this. I picked up an Exped DeepSleep Mat 7.5 LXW a month ago as it was on special at Snowys. Haven't had a chance to give it a real life test just yet. Just went to have a look at their website and it seems they aren't selling them any more, there is the slightly thicker but twice as expensive Exped Megamat 10 LXW. But for that price you better get a lot of use out of it! (They're pretty high quality - can double as a guest mattress at home)

What drew me to Exped was the MegaMat Duo TXY (was only available in the US for a limited run and now sold out). Although I do notice the Exped site says "**NOTE: Currently sold out for 2021. MegaMat Duo TXY will return in [Northern Hemisphere] Spring 2022 as the MegaMat Auto.**"

I've been looking for other kinds of accessories - you can get a set of full window shades that fit every window, for example. Will share here when I find things!

I'm really keen to try this. I picked up an Exped DeepSleep Mat 7.5 LXW a month ago as it was on special at Snowys. Haven't had a chance to give it a real life test just yet. Just went to have a look at their website and it seems they aren't selling them any more, there is the slightly thicker but twice as expensive Exped Megamat 10 LXW. But for that price you better get a lot of use out of it! (They're pretty high quality - can double as a guest mattress at home)

What drew me to Exped was the MegaMat Duo TXY (was only available in the US for a limited run and now sold out). Although I do notice the Exped site says "**NOTE: Currently sold out for 2021. MegaMat Duo TXY will return in [Northern Hemisphere] Spring 2022 as the MegaMat Auto.**"

I've been looking for other kinds of accessories - you can get a set of full window shades that fit every window, for example. Will share here when I find things!
The megamat duo looks awesome. Re the windows shades, I think an eye mask would do the same job keeping the light out and the perception of privacy as you won't be able to see the outside world, hell of a lot cheaper. I say let the people look in 🤣

20211229_115108.jpg

Think my inflatable mattress test ended in being a snugg fit.

OK. For new years I did a quick camping trip in the hot tub equipped mobile hotel.

-- Camp Bed --
I removed the rear seat cushions to give a good flat surface to sleep on. This involved pressing in two clips, these clips were located visibly under the left and right passenger seats. The rear seat heater cables (two of) also needed to be unplugged. These were located under the left passenger seat.

Before folding down the rear seats, I placed the rear cushion directly behind the driver and passenger seats, foam facing forward. I then proceeded to place some cardboard above the high voltage service panel (??) and frame, layering a yoga mat for extra padding to protect the folded rear seats.

After folding the rear seats down, I pushed back the front passenger and driver seat to push the placed rear seat cushion sugg against the folded rear seats head rest, until there was little to no movement in the cushion.

Bedding consisted of a picnic rug below a 50mm foam mattress topper. The only one on hand was a queen size, a double would have been sufficient.

-- Camp Mode --
After setting camp mode the screen will eventually turn off/dim. Transition from main screen, to animated camp scene with tent, chairs and fireplace, and finally a dimmed black screen. This transition took possibly 20-30min. This is a guess, felt like it took longer than expected.

A/C, I decides to set the fan level to 1. Not sure this was the right move. 3 or 4 would have been a better option to regulate temperature throughout the night, with minimal noise levels.

Temperature was set to 18, but due to the outside temperature and the selected fan speed, it felt significantly lower.

-- Sleeping --
I'm 6'1, and it was a tight squeeze, especially having my partner there, she is 5'8". I needed to sleep diagonally to sleep on my back, or with a slight bend in the knees to side sleep.

Sleeping on the foam mattress topper was generally comfortable, but a foam mattress twice as thick would have been perfect for longer camp stays without compromising leg height space.

We were staying in a noisy environment, and there was no outside noise inside of the car. Incredible sound insulation, was very impressed.

Sadly it would have been nice to have more visibility of the stars, but due to the factory tinting, it's not as spectacular as watching clouds on a sunny day.

I used an eye mask over blocking out the windows. This was a great choice, both from a cost perspective and the zero light in the morning. Worth finding a good one.

-- Conclusion --
Overall good experience, felt pretty relaxed and refreshed in the morning. Thicker mattress recommended. Would like to experiment with including something behind the rear folded seat to extend my leg room when with a second person. Setup and pack up was quick, only pre work done was unplugging the rear heater cables prior to leaving as it was fiddly with big hands.

Attachments

• 20211231_152333.jpg
    20211231_152333.jpg
    433.9 KB · Views: 207
  • 20211231_153153.jpg
    20211231_153153.jpg
    425 KB · Views: 208
  • 20211231_153159.jpg
    20211231_153159.jpg
    435.3 KB · Views: 236
  • 20211231_153713.jpg
    20211231_153713.jpg
    322.3 KB · Views: 207
  • 20211231_152324.jpg
    20211231_152324.jpg
    319 KB · Views: 196
I'm really keen to try this.
Clearly I wasn't that keen as I've only just tried it for the first time :p (16 months later)

I did all the wrong things… tried it 2.5 hours drive from home, in a place that got down to 1 degree Celsius (according to the car display) and with very little planning (I started packing about half an hour before leaving, although I did have some idea of what I needed). I used an Exped Deepsleep 7.5cm camp mattress, a basic flannel blanket and a couple of pillows.

My site for the test was Westbury, a small town with a council provided free AC charger. This was to ensure I didn’t run into issues with camp mode running all night! Two issues: There is a big floodlight just to the side (which I guess is a good thing for safety, but I didn’t have window shades) and there is a residence on the other side of the road (I just had to switch my headlights off manually and ensure I was quiet). I wasn’t 100% sure that the council would approve if someone complained and I was dobbed in! There was also a public toilet about 20m down the road.

The other issue is that the back of the Model 3 isn’t fully flat with the seats down, but I did my best by putting towels and pillows under the mattress. It’s also difficult to get in and out of the back, and get changed in!

I set camp mode (about 19 degrees) hung a jacket on the hook on the floodlight side, curled up facing the non-floodlight side and tried to sleep!

It went ok - slept from about 10:30, woke up a couple of times (about 3:30 and 5:30) and then up at sunrise (about 7). That’s about what I’d expect if I was in a tent, except warmer!

Car was charged by about 1am and used approx 1 kW the rest of the night keeping the heat going (so I imagine 9-10 kWh for the whole night)

Would I do it again? Yep! But I would sort out the bedding/mattress so it was more flat, and get some shades for the windows! I would imagine a Model Y would be way better in this regard.

Would I do it again? Yep! But I would sort out the bedding/mattress so it was more flat, and get some shades for the windows! I would imagine a Model Y would be way better in this regard.
Camping in the Y is pretty good though I haven't tried doing it in the 3 to compare (I suspect there's a lot more space to move around in the Y). Shades/blinds for the windows are good, the first set I bought from Tessories were missing clips for the rear windscreen but they sent out a set quickly and now all is good.

• Informative
Reactions: Chuq
There is a big floodlight just to the side (which I guess is a good thing for safety, but I didn’t have window shades)

I wasn’t 100% sure that the council would approve if someone complained and I was dobbed in!

So were you dobbed in?

Reactions: Chuq