Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Camera blinded/degraded warnings at night

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So this is my first electric/Tesla journey with month old Model Y. Night driving brings warnings like in the attached snapshot. Naive question— Is that par for the course, or should I a) recalibrate cameras, b) recalibrate my expectations :) or c) ???
IMG_6976.jpeg

It happens fairly regularly. I find it happens most around dusk, the time of day when everything looks gray and flat. Of course, during rain/show/mud events things go bad regularly. Blinding sunlight causes issues as well, usually around sunrise and sunset. And then there are those few occasions when there doesn't seem to be any known cause for the "blindness."

there was another thread where this would happen on pitch black roads... basically, the camera assumes it's broken bc there is no light whatsoever. The fix was to signal towards the camera with the issue... the ambient light would reassure the camera / computer that it's working ok

Reactions: SidetrackedSue
Yet another ding against the “we can do everything with vision only”-BS…

I get this everytime now when I drive over to visit my father on the rural highways/roads out in East Texas. I even put in a service ticket for it and they just pushed the latest update to my car and asked me to “try it again”…

Yet another ding against the “we can do everything with vision only”-BS…

I get this everytime now when I drive over to visit my father on the rural highways/roads out in East Texas. I even put in a service ticket for it and they just pushed the latest update to my car and asked me to “try it again”…
Right. I would say right now option b) recalibrate expectations looks most viable…
I am not expecting miracles from vision based algos. If I can’t see in the dark i cant see how the side cameras would