Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

California DMV - Plates & HOV Stickers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I view them as a badge of honor. Like Bonnie I applied them to PPF (a local shop that does installs will give you scraps if you ask nicely). Here they are on my Roadster and we'll be installing them on our Grey Model S.

HOV.JPG

IMG_0357.JPG

Ah, I was just about to ask where to get the film in small quantities. Do all of the films offer the ability to reposition them as Bonnie describes?

For what it's worth, I understand that the HOV stickers can be removed from the paint with a heat gun without damage. There were stories about body shops offering this as a free service around the time the yellow sticker program expired. The stickers were designed to be difficult to remove intact (so they couldn't be stolen), but I don't think they have especially aggressive adhesive.

I found some on eBay. Scraps are all you need. I think they all are able to be repositioned, if using a little soapy water. (Pet peeve is seeing them all askew on cars ... really, they didn't have time to carefully position?)

I have heard the stories about removal with the heat gun, but didn't want to trust the folklore.

- - - Updated - - -

fyi, as strider said, these are a 'badge of honor'. People do ask how come you get HOV lane stickers - and that opens up the whole BEV discussion.

And if you don't want to put them on, great! More room for me in the HOV lane. :)

I have heard the stories about removal with the heat gun, but didn't want to trust the folklore.

I do this all the time with the yearly registration tags on the license plate (can't stand to have layer upon layer upon layer of years on a plate with just the edge of the previous years tag colors peeking out). If you try to remove the tag it'll usually tear in small pieces, making it a royal pain to remove. Using a hair dryer (safer than a heat gun), heat the area, and you can remove the tag in one shot, usually fully intact.

But back on topic, I like the idea of using PPF as the backing for the sticker. It allows you a better shot of getting the sticker on straight. And when it comes time for removal, you'll have a much better shot at getting it off easily.

I believe that is what I said just a couple of posts up. It's worked fine for two years.

fyi, it's easier to apply the sticker to the StarShield and then cut around it (vs. cutting to the size of the sticker first). Have some soapy water nearby. You'll have about 30 minutes to slide it around to exactly the position you want.

Thanks. I should have googled StarShield.. Great to be able get advice from a seasoned owner.

I have my large sticker on a piece of clear plexi stored under the passenger seat of our Roadster. When getting in the HOV lane it's easy reach down and stick it in the back window. Tiny car, tiny problems.

I have gone 3.5 years with just the small sticker in rear window of my roadster. I don't use HOV lane regularly, but have past CHP in lane and never been pulled. I keep other stickers and ev registration paper in the car.

If I ever got pulled over I plan to politely tell officer. The law is that a sticker would be applied to the vehicle. However, the DMV came up with the rules of multiple stickers. I have paid the fee for this electric vehicle and have sticker as law states. I have also registered the car with fastrak. The car is properly registered and with current insurance. It just seems wrong to plaster such a pretty car to satisfy the DMV. I hope at that point the officer would find it ok to let me go.

I have my large sticker on a piece of clear plexi stored under the passenger seat of our Roadster. When getting in the HOV lane it's easy reach down and stick it in the back window. Tiny car, tiny problems.
The "plexi" you speak of, the hard acrylic? If so, how does it stay in side window? Would be nice to affix it to that stuff that sticks to glass, but peals off when not needed. And I agree, the CHP has better things to do than pull over possible "technicality" issues. Unlike others, I would only be using it once a month on I-80, where it seems every other car only has one occupant.

The paperwork says "suggested placement" Lots of Roadster do the back window sticker. Ticket stories have been few.
But Roadsters are also few.

Bottom line is that you may be stopped and you may be ticketed. It's the same as no front plate or tinting your side windows. If not putting the stickers on is worth the risk to you then fine. Everyone has their own feelings. I run a front plate and HOV stickers but have tinted windows in my Roadster. Each to his or her own.

Are other folks waiting a long time for their HOV stickers? I took delivery Dec 17, received title Dec 31, license plates Jan3.. $8 check was collected upon delivery.. Still waiting.

What timeframe have others experienced?

Are other folks waiting a long time for their HOV stickers? I took delivery Dec 17, received title Dec 31, license plates Jan3.. $8 check was collected upon delivery.. Still waiting.

What timeframe have others experienced?
With our Roadster it took about 4-5 weeks. But that was without the holidays and back in late 2010 so no Leaf's, RAV's, Model S's, etc adding to the volume. So If you assume they were basically shut down for 2 weeks over the holidays I wouldn't expect them for a couple more weeks.

California: HOV (carpool lane) sticker

I didn't shell out the $3500 for the paint/body armor, but was wondering how that works exactly.

i am mainly asking b/c I'm excited to get my HOV Sticker but it breaks my heart to put the stickers on the bumper.

I imagine these stickers are probably impossible :( to take off (otherwise people would steal them).

do these stickers damage the bumper paint?

And would installing HOV-sticker-shaped body armor underneath solve this problem?
does anyone know where I could buy some of this said body armor (without having to she'll out $3500 to do the whole car)? I'd likely only need 100 square inch (just estimating) sheet of it.

If there are any better/smarter solutions I'd be excited to hear them!!!

I took delivery December 6 and asked at the time how long they were taking. I was told that they were supposed to take "four to eight weeks", and that Tesla was seeing people getting theirs after the full 8 weeks.

My friend took delivery a month before I did and got his stickers after almost exactly eight weeks. So, still a little while longer to wait, although I still check the mailbox every day and sigh with disappointment...

It's astonishing to me that DMV doesn't just give Tesla a supply of stickers to deliver with the plates for California cars. Truly stupid bureaucracy.

I think one benefit of the Signatures for CA owners is that Tesla handed you plates and put your HOV paperwork in so you all got your HOV stickers probably 4 weeks earlier than normal.

I had just before Xmas delivery and I had to get my plates from the DMV. They got to me sooner than buying from a Big N car dealer but I had to wait 4 weeks for the plates to arrive before I could put my HOV paperwork in.

As for the stickers, yes it would be nice if Tesla could hand them to us but the DMV treats those things like they're made of one big flawless diamond. In other words, worth way *way* more than their weight in gold. No way are they going to hand a bunch of stickers over to anyone.