Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

California DMV - Plates & HOV Stickers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There are instructions for how to apply them. They're not particularly unobtrusive, unfortunately. Some people have chosen to not follow the instructions, and have applied only a single sticker on the back (Elon's car is like this).

They have no standing outside of California.

The installation locations are shown on this page (scroll down a ways):

Clean Air Vehicle (CAV) Decals - High Occupancy Vehicle HOV Lane Usage

This article has a photo that shows Elon's car, and how the sticker has been applied on it.

Tesla Model S: L.A. to Las Vegas on a single charge | SmartPlanet

There are instructions for how to apply them. They're not particularly unobtrusive, unfortunately. Some people have chosen to not follow the instructions, and have applied only a single sticker on the back (Elon's car is like this).

They have no standing outside of California.

The installation locations are shown on this page (scroll down a ways):

Clean Air Vehicle (CAV) Decals - High Occupancy Vehicle HOV Lane Usage

This article has a photo that shows Elon's car, and how the sticker has been applied on it.

Tesla Model S: L.A. to Las Vegas on a single charge | SmartPlanet

HOV lane with ugly large sticker on body of car or no HOV lane with my perfect Tesla body design in tact. Tough decision.

Anyone know if Tesla has plates ready to go at the Fremont factory? I'm expecting to pick up my car in a week or so.
I have a VIN, but no plate number yet. I hope I don't have to wait a while to get the plate in the mail.

Mine came in the mail about 10 days later.

- - - Updated - - -

HOV lane with ugly large sticker on body of car or no HOV lane with my perfect Tesla body design in tact. Tough decision.

Yeah, not a tough decision for me. I've saved so many hours with the HOV decals on my older EVs that there's no way I want to be without them. I don't think they'll be too hideous on a white car...

Seems like CA DMV has been batching plates to dealers for awhile. There are several other cars from the same dealer I bought my Lexus in my neighborhood that just several digits ahead of mine. I got my plates in days after I drove it off the lot. Years ago, it took a month or two before my plates arrived. I don't know how many they hand out at a time though. the current CA plates on the Founders started at 6USX000. Doubt they would get 1000 of them, but time will tell if see 6USX999.

The BGC is 6USX066... VIN 29.

My plates just got here. Same plate pattern (6USX). My number is in the 600's

Vin 1708, no stickers yet. I was thinking of gluing some magnets to the inside of the bumpers and putting the stickers on magnetic tape. Anyone done this?

My plates just got here. Same plate pattern (6USX). My number is in the 600's

Vin 1708, no stickers yet. I was thinking of gluing some magnets to the inside of the bumpers and putting the stickers on magnetic tape. Anyone done this?
Congrats on getting your license plate. I took delivery on November 28 at the Fremont Factory but still hasn't gotten my license plate. Would you mind to tell me when was your delivery? Did you pick up your S at the Fremont Factory?

I doubt it's Tesla. I picked up on 12/9 and w/ the DMV and holidays... not worried. I have temp registration - not in a hurry to have plates that say my car "sucks" on them. I know it's USX but whenever I see the plates I think of "sucks". Wife is pondering a personalized plate.

Just got my HOV stickers. Any one found a way to use them without sticking them on the car (i.e in the window, ..)?
Who in their right mind would apply the below stickers to a Model S? I plan on temporarily putting them in the rear passenger windows when I plan on using the HOV lane and take my chances.
Sticker.JPG

who in their right mind ... well, those of us who like traveling in the HOV lane & don't want to give CHP a reason to pull us over. (Note that these stickers are stuck to StarShield, which is then applied to the StarShield already on the car.)

View attachment 14907
In fairness, the decal on a white car is almost (though not quite, IMHO) acceptable. But on a brown beauty, not so much. And,of course, being retired and only needing the HOV once a month or so to get to the grandkids puts a different perspective on it.

Not needing the HOV lane would make it a non-issue :).

I was sold when, on a road trip to SoCal, I drove 45 miles in the HOV lane from Newport Beach to downtown LA. It took 45 minutes. And the half dozen non-HOV lanes to my right were pretty much a parking lot. It would have taken me HOURS to make that trip.

Love the HOV decals ... but not so much that they're directly on my paint. Uh uh.

How about applying a bit of paint-armor cut to the size of the sticker, and then putting the stickers on top? You could remove the stickers in 2015, when they'll simply be an eye sore. Still waiting for mine, took delivery 5 weeks ago.

Please reply with your thoughts about this method

I believe that is what I said just a couple of posts up. It's worked fine for two years.

who in their right mind ... well, those of us who like traveling in the HOV lane & don't want to give CHP a reason to pull us over. (Note that these stickers are stuck to StarShield, which is then applied to the StarShield already on the car.)

fyi, it's easier to apply the sticker to the StarShield and then cut around it (vs. cutting to the size of the sticker first). Have some soapy water nearby. You'll have about 30 minutes to slide it around to exactly the position you want.