Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cadillac ELR compared to the Tesla Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Do we really want to hear his answers? I'm all for good and lively debate but I just don't see that happening with the author. The fact that he says "no answers until I have my own thread!" is actually quite funny. And to even think that it in any way deserves its own thread, when we already have a "Cadillac ELR compared to the Tesla Model S" is strange, to say the least. Plus, I'm not one to be the grammar police but the grammar is so poor, starting right from the title, that on that basis alone it is cringe worthy.

I vote to remove all words and just keep the nice pictures... ;)

If you think for a minute you'll suppress this article you are badly mistaken!

Ha! :)

Lithium/Idleup.

Your thread was moved because it fits perfectly with a thread that already existed.
If you are banned, my guess would be it won't be for dissenting opinions, it will be for name calling and refusing to discuss the very post you made.

On the GM Volt forum you also seem to ignore anyone that points out factual errors in your posts.

I would appreciate it if you would start responding to corrections to factual errors.

Lithium/Idleup.

Your thread was moved because it fits perfectly with a thread that already existed.
If you are banned, my guess would be it won't be for dissenting opinions, it will be for name calling and refusing to discuss the very post you made.

On the GM Volt forum you also seem to ignore anyone that points out factual errors in your posts.

I would appreciate it if you would start responding to corrections to factual errors.
Are those two usernames for the same person on TMC?

Lithium, I am the moderator who moved your post. I moved it because this is the correct thread for it. This is not "another author's thread" - this is the thread where Model S and ELR are compared. If there are dozens of threads on the same topic it just makes the forum confusing and hard to navigate.

You are getting plenty of responses, so clearly your post is getting viewed by many forum members. We are not "burying" your post. Also most members hit the "What's New" button to find new content, so they'll find your post regardless of where it is.

If you choose not to respond to the comments and questions, that is your prerogative.

C'mon guys, lets cut him some slack. It appears that he spent significant time trying to twist facts to make an ELR look like it can be compared to a Model S.

Six cars were sold at a dealer in Atlanta last month - that's got to prove something, right? If you want an "electric" car with poor acceleration whose "high-tech" engine turns on even if you don't use it, the ELR sounds like a great car.

The Model S isn't for everyone, but neither is the ELR. Everyone has their own priorities when it comes to buying a car, and if the features of the ELR suit you better then great. However, this does not change the fact that scores of Model S have sold for every ELR that has sold, not to mention the ELR has been out of production for nearly a year. The market has spoken and disagrees with this review.

Reading through the poster's comments here and on the Volt site, it's clear that he's not interested in taking criticism or even debating the topic. His only responses have been to thank people who posted in support of his views, complain about moderation, or to add further criticism that bashes Tesla. There's not really anything left to see here.

Why did you make the Model S a 4 seater (adding executive rear seating) and add $2,250 for twin chargers and HPWC when the 85 is a 5 seater normally? Does the ELR charge at 80A? If not, why did you include that in the Model S base price in the head to head price comparison? That only served to drive up the base price to make your comparison seem better.

I wanted to know this also. Why even upgrade to the 85kWh battery? I think you could get the price down to $83,150 with these options instead.

Basic Tesla $69,900

Navigation Tech Pkg. - ELR Included – Tesla $4,250
Premium Interior Leather – ELR Included – Tesla $3,500
Parking sensors – ELR Included – Tesla $500
Sound System - ELR Bose 10 spk Included / Tesla $2,500
Upgraded Headliner – ELR Included – Tesla $1,500
Accent Interior lights – ELR Included – Tesla $1000

You also seem to be mixing up your options a lot. First you say the Tesla does 0-60 in 6 seconds, which is what the 60kWh version does but have the price of the 85kWh battery. You also say that the GPS is basic and you need to buy an upgrade package to get navigation, but you already included the tech package in your price so why are you complaining about getting the basic GPS?

While on the subject let’s examine the 0-60 speed of the ELR and the Tesla S 60 kw. The ELR clocks it right at 7 seconds and the Tesla at 6 sec, so the ELR is a little over a second slower than the Tesla.

Tesla GPS - You would think with that monster monitor, the Tesla GPS would be earth shattering - but it’s not. The GPS is very basic, it uses “free” Google maps, but you need an optional Garmin upgrade for navigation, and so unless you shell out a whooping $3750 for their upgrade package, you’ll have to use your Smart phone to navigate the car.

Also, when you say "In conclusion" I don't think you are suppose to keep making more paragraphs. I thought the "In conclusion" paragraph was supposed to be the last one?

You talk about how much the Tesla is, and why the ELR is a better bang for the buck, but then talk about the I8 and it costs $140k. Why do you even own an ELR AND an i3? Couldn't you use the i3 for anything the ELR can do? I mean, if you want to haul groceries you can do that in an i3 or if you want to take THREE other people with you, you can do that in an i3, so why get both?

While I’m not trying to compare the I8 to the Model S, one still has to respect the amazing technology that has poured into the BMW I8. It’s the worlds first offering of a feather-weight carbon fiber life module, 4 wheel drive using both electric & gas combined, true concept car design and aerodynamics with the lowest coefficient number of any car in its class. The best part is the I8 sells for a $140K, and is only replicated by two other car manufactures in the world, and both are priced in the one-million dollar range. The I8 remains “hands down” the most advanced electric car in the world!

I think Shakespeare summed it up best when he said this:

"[Lithium] doth protest too much, methinks".

"The lady doth protest too much, methinks" is a quotation from the 1602 play Hamlet by William Shakespeare. It has been used as a figure of speech, in various phrasings, to indicate that a person's overly frequent or vehement attempts to convince others of something have ironically helped to convince others that the opposite is true, by making the person look insincere and defensive.

As mentioned above, the sad part was in that huge post there were some decent points although ones we've all heard before and all understand. The Superchargers aren't everywhere and a BEV isn't for everyone either. Nothing new there. The rest was, well, interesting.

Cadillac ELR vs Tesla "The Straight Facts" post on GM/Volt Website

We've owned a Volt for just under 3 years and absolutely love it so when this "Just the Straight Facts" article popped up this week I immediately clicked on it. Before you read it, take your blood pressure medicine. The article by a "member" of their forum is beyond absurd. The length and detail suggest a PR firm is involved. Note that the article forgot to mention how well the ELR is selling. I think I'll remove myself from their distribution list.

Cadillac ELR Verses Tesla S – Just The Straight Facts

Yeah, not quite the most accurate thing ever written. It was posted a few days ago on another TMC thread.
Cadillac ELR compared to the Tesla Model S - Page 2

In the original post on TMC, the "author's" Location was Memphis.
In this post, the "author's" Location is North Georgia.
Hmmm...(please) pick one, because they are almost 400 miles apart.
In and of itself, that makes the "author's" assertions and credibility circumspect.

Oh, and regarding the Title "Cadillac ..... --Just the Straight Facts".
The material that was presented contained a FEW Facts, and a raft of OPINIONS and otherwise inaccurate information.

The above Volt forum link was recently posted on a Volt Facebook group, and the Volt owners there are saying it went too far.

Too bad as the ELR is an extremely nice car, and at current way-way-below-MSRP prices, a great choice for many that want something smaller and/or cheaper than a Model S, or that have to take trips that aren't supported by Superchargers. I'd be happy to recommend the car; but this comparison is not informative.

The market speaks for itself. This guy speaks for the others, and those are very few others just by comparing sales figures. One car they can't produce enough of, the other they can't sell.

The fact that he feels the need to plaster this everywhere he can, tells you he really hasn't even convinced himself of his subjective, bias and cherry picking position.

His post on the ELR was a fun read even with him slanting his presentation. The main reason I read his entire post is I have a CTS-V purchased new in 2011, and that purchase would have been a Model S had it and the Supercharger network would have been what it is today. The hybrid drives IMO are only needed in the pre Supercharger era. BEV is a real plus when you finally accept weening from the oil teet. Smog checks, oil and filter changes, belts, exhaust, brake replacement, plugs, clogging injectors, and all the related for ICE just isn't worth it anymore.

Besides, I've mentioned in other threads that I'm a former oil industry worker, and as such pretty much despise that industry.

Lithium, I am the moderator who moved your post. I moved it because this is the correct thread for it. This is not "another author's thread" - this is the thread where Model S and ELR are compared. If there are dozens of threads on the same topic it just makes the forum confusing and hard to navigate.

I hate to put myself in the position of coming to Lithium's defense in any way, but... I've never seen another online forum where threads were consolidated in this manner. I find it confusing and unnatural, and it does cause noteworthy posts to get lost in the depths of huge threads sometimes. I think I would feel rather put out if I started a thread and had it moved into another one. Whose idea was this??