Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cadillac ELR compared to the Tesla Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was struck by how he manages to say so little with so many words. His post could be summed up with:

- The Model S is more expensive than the ELR.
- I like knobs, buttons and dials.
- The ELR is a complex piece of engineering, which is good.
- The Model S is a complex piece of engineering, which is bad.
- I think charging networks suck, and you might die using them.
- I would experience range anxiety in a Model S.
- Good 0-60 times are unnecessary, if not downright silly.

Also, I take offense at the suggestion that the picture of the Leaf and Model S in Oslo is in a bad neighbourhood! Norway is very safe. ;)
Another recurring one you missed:
- The Model S is ugly and lacks unique styling.

I still don't get how he compares the Model S to an old Buick. There are cars you can legitimately compare it to like the Jaguar XF, but it looks nothing like the Buick he tries to compare it to.

It is OCT16, and I just spotted this discussion. Now we know, the ELR was the wrong car. Let me post this graphic here to help close out the discussion.
Cadillac ELR Fails.jpg

Wow. Didn't you get the memo?

Drive a 2016 ELR. Don't pussy foot, try to wreck it. It's a very well balanced car that would put up a good fight in a tight canyon with a Model S 75D.

They bumped the power, dropped the price, improved the handling, added LK/ACC, and you can drive it to Houston from Phoenix.

It's no Tesla, but it's WAY better than an BMW i3 REX which costs the same.

Reactions: GSP
My wife is thinking about getting an EV. She has a lease on an X3 so we could possibly get a deal on the i3. How would everyone compare the i3 to the Volt and Ford Fusion ENERGI which are other cars that she can drive on the LIE HOV lane by herself ?? Btw I have an S and a roadster. The commute would be about 140 miles so she would need the ReX

My wife is thinking about getting an EV. She has a lease on an X3 so we could possibly get a deal on the i3. How would everyone compare the i3 to the Volt and Ford Fusion ENERGI which are other cars that she can drive on the LIE HOV lane by herself ?? Btw I have an S and a roadster. The commute would be about 140 miles so she would need the ReX
So each direction is 70 miles? Can she normally charge at her work destination? What is the fastest speed she would be driving after the usable battery range would cause the engine to start? Are there significant hills or long steep uphill roads in the sections where she would be driving with the engine helping out?

I ask because the BMW engine is undersized and cannot sustain travel on flat roads with still winds above 70 mph nor can it climb long substantial hills at normal driving speeds. It also has a tiny gas tank so if you are doing substantial driving every day with the engine you will have to remember to top it off every day or two. What are winter commute temperatures and conditions like in your area?

The drive is 140 miles each way. 140 miles to NJ and then she stays there a couple of days with local driving and drives back home 140 miles. We live on the East Coast so the winters are cold, snow is unpredictable. Last year we didn't get much. Driving at 65/70 mph is about normal and maybe 1 hill each way.

The roadster is NOT an option for her to drive lol.

#1 Tesla Model S. CPO or new, 60kWh or higher, AWD preferred.
#2 2017 Bolt EV.
#3 2016/2017 Volt
#4 2017 Prius Prime
#5 Fusion PHEV
#6 BMW i3 REX w/90Ah

The problem is winter range, perhaps mixed higher speeds than she lets on to.
Only a Tesla or Bolt is going to have that on pure EV. The AWD Tesla or the FWD Bolt are going to be good cars in the snow.

If those aren't options, then the Range Extender becomes a part of the equation.

The Volt's will use about 2.2 gallons, or a refueling at a gas station every 4 trips. It has good EV acceleration, and handles well.

The Prime will use about 2.5 gallons, or a refueling at a gas station every 4 trips. It has poor acceleration, and average econobox handling.

The Fusion will use about 3 gallons, or refueling every 4 trips. It has poor EV acceleration, and is heavy for it's power output.

The i3 will use about 1 gallon, but should visit a gas station every trip. It has good EV acceleration, but some owners report that it likes to dance at freeways speeds. Check with owners, or drive at 75mph for a good distance before buying.

Why I rated them that way?

The Tesla is available now, and is available with AWD for winter. No problem with electric range. Best EV choice for a 140mi winter commute.

The Bolt is the only other options that will go on pure EV power. Advanced stability control with FWD is a good setup for snow, only bested by AWD.

The Volt has solid EV punch and full power in all situations instantly. It will use the least amount of gasoline of the 4. Available with Adaptive Cruise Control and Lane Keeping tech.

The Prime might not have much EV power, but it has a very fuel efficient gas engine. But it's performance dead last in this pack.

Fusion is heavy, and uses the most gas. Second to last in performance with poor EV system.

REX? It's just not the right tool for this distance. With a full gas tank and a full charge, it has the lowest range of all these vehicles at 180 miles CLAIMED in the summer. It could be close in the winter. The gas engine is not powerful at all. It is a "limp home" motor.

Last edited:
The drive is 140 miles each way. 140 miles to NJ and then she stays there a couple of days with local driving and drives back home 140 miles. We live on the East Coast so the winters are cold, snow is unpredictable. Last year we didn't get much. Driving at 65/70 mph is about normal and maybe 1 hill each way.

The roadster is NOT an option for her to drive lol.Th
#1 Tesla Model S. CPO or new, 60kWh or higher, AWD preferred.
#2 2017 Bolt EV.
#3 2016/2017 Volt
#4 2017 Prius Prime
#5 Fusion PHEV
#6 BMW i3 REX w/90Ah

The problem is winter range, perhaps mixed higher speeds than she lets on to.
Only a Tesla or Bolt is going to have that on pure EV. The AWD Tesla or the FWD Bolt are going to be good cars in the snow.

If those aren't options, then the Range Extender becomes a part of the equation.

The Volt's will use about 2.2 gallons, or a refueling at a gas station every 4 trips. It has good EV acceleration, and handles well.

The Prime will use about 2.5 gallons, or a refueling at a gas station every 4 trips. It has poor acceleration, and average econobox handling.

The Fusion will use about 3 gallons, or refueling every 4 trips. It has poor EV acceleration, and is heavy for it's power output.

The i3 will use about 1 gallon, but should visit a gas station every trip. It has good EV acceleration, but some owners report that it likes to dance at freeways speeds. Check with owners, or drive at 75mph for a good distance before buying.

Why I rated them that way?

The Tesla is available now, and is available with AWD for winter. No problem with electric range. Best EV choice for a 140mi winter commute.

The Bolt is the only other options that will go on pure EV power. Advanced stability control with FWD is a good setup for snow, only bested by AWD.

The Volt has solid EV punch and full power in all situations instantly. It will use the least amount of gasoline of the 4. Available with Adaptive Cruise Control and Lane Keeping tech.

The Prime might not have much EV power, but it has a very fuel efficient gas engine. But it's performance dead last in this pack.

Fusion is heavy, and uses the most gas. Second to last in performance with poor EV system.

REX? It's just not the right tool for this distance. With a fuel gas tank and a full charge, it has the lowest range of all these vehicles at 180 miles CLAIMED in the summer. It could be close in the winter. The gas engine is not powerful at all. It is a "limp home" motor.
Thanks so much!!!

Note: I'm not saying the BMW i3 REX is not a good EV. The problem is the gas tank is too small, and the gas engine is too weak for constant 140 mile trips. With both the gas and electric together giving 180 miles summer EPA range... that sounds like constant range anxiety, which none of the other cars will have.

Of course the S is great, but if not an option for whatever reason...

While I haven't personally tried it, I think the i3 Rex is not a good option. The gas engine is small, and the gas tank is smaller. The new Volt is a good car, and would be a good choice. The Fusion Energi is a nice car, but the EV range is short and the trunk space is severely compromised. The Bolt? Maybe, but you would need consistent access to a fast charger in NJ and even then the range seems borderline given the commute needs.

I don't want her worrying about range anxiety or about not having enough power to change lanes and merge onto the highway. It sounds like that might be 2 issues with the i3 Rex. I think the Bolt is too small for her. The Volt sounds like a good option. I'm familiar with the Prius but not the Prius Prime so I'll check that out too!