Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cabin overheat protection 90/95/100

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is there any advantage to the longevity of any interior parts to switch the activation threshold of cabin overheat protection to either 90 or 95 from the original 100?

I was told my car computer overheated and had to be replaced but I assume that was due to some kind of cooling malfunction and not because the cabin got too hot.

Is there any advantage to the longevity of any interior parts to switch the activation threshold of cabin overheat protection to either 90 or 95 from the original 100?

I was told my car computer overheated and had to be replaced but I assume that was due to some kind of cooling malfunction and not because the cabin got too hot.
Well a car parked in the sun can reach an internal temperature of 170 degrees so yes the cabin Can get to hot. Especially for computers which is why they offer that software solution.

No advantage of one over another. Cabin Overheat Protection is not intended to keep the car’s interior and electronics from getting too hot - if that was the design goal, they would have made it run for longer than 12 hours after exiting the vehicle.

Primary purposes include a.) protecting occupants from getting too hot while parked - maybe a forgotten pet or child, and b.) keeping the interior at a reasonable temperature so the air conditioning can recover faster on hot days - a big benefit when you’re running errands or otherwise making multiple trips. There are, of course, other ways to accomplish these goals - Dog Mode and remote climate, but Cabin Overheat Protection covers you if you forget.

No advantage of one over another. Cabin Overheat Protection is not intended to keep the car’s interior and electronics from getting too hot - if that was the design goal, they would have made it run for longer than 12 hours after exiting the vehicle.

Primary purposes include a.) protecting occupants from getting too hot while parked - maybe a forgotten pet or child, and b.) keeping the interior at a reasonable temperature so the air conditioning can recover faster on hot days - a big benefit when you’re running errands or otherwise making multiple trips. There are, of course, other ways to accomplish these goals - Dog Mode and remote climate, but Cabin Overheat Protection covers you if you forget.
Don’t think that mode was intended for kids or pets. They have settings separate for that. It is designed as called Cabin overheat protection for interior. It enables whenever the temp reaches high limit set value and shuts off. This is not a continuous 12 hour run and does require certain battery levels.

Don’t think that mode was intended for kids or pets. They have settings separate for that. It is designed as called Cabin overheat protection for interior. It enables whenever the temp reaches high limit set value and shuts off. This is not a continuous 12 hour run and does require certain battery levels.
There is no setting for leaving kids in the car! Pets, yes. But never children.

But not when the vehicle is only driven a few times per week?

thats i guess a technical sacrifice/limitation. It does a good job when you i.e. drive somewhere and leave the car in the sun for a few hours and then get back to the car. the presumption is that when you park long term somewhere its undercover etc.
Keep in mind the car cant fall asleep and uses a lot of power with overheat protection on. its not meant to be a long term solution.

I agree with moa999. I was hoping when this came out that they would go higher instead of lower. Especially since the overheat protection kicks at lower than the original number if the sun is hitting anywhere near the cabin temp sensor.

Don’t think that mode was intended for kids or pets.
That's precisely what it was intended for. It has nothing to do with keeping the electronics cool. If that were a design consideration it surely wouldn't turn itself off after 12 hours. Do computers only suffer from extreme heat for the first 12 hours after being parked?

Screenshot 2022-11-28 at 7.16.31 PM.png

Reactions: Big Earl