Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CA Bill To Limit Tax-Funded Rebates To Cars Under $40,000

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think that it's ridiculous to be picky about the value of the car that gets the incentive, when the most expensive BEV allows the most substitution, and the company involved is actually dedicated to broadening ownership of BEVs in a far more aggressive and complete manner than other companies. The WA amendment is particularly (deliberately?) obtuse because the next generation of plug-ins is liable to be starting in the $35k-$45k range, as this will be the generation where the companies are looking for profitability and a transition from dependency on subsidies before any 3rd generation expansion of volume. The Volt 2 is rumored to have an MSRP starting at $32k, but the LTZ variant will clearly cost a chunk more. A cap on the tax break is fine, but a cap on the price is not.

Maybe lobbying groups like Plug In America need to explain to legislators that the current generation of short-range BEVs and their mandate and subsidy-driven sales are really just helping to build infrastructure for BEVs and EREVs with mass appeal, and explain economies of scale aren't fully developed yet, so the next generation is not going to be an improved Leaf, but a cost-reduced Tesla, and a cap on vehicle price is completely inane.

I am tired of all the tin cuppers running to government to give them money to do what is the right thing to do anyway. So this is my idea to incentivize all of us who drive cars. First, do away with all the give a ways, no more tax breaks of any kind of anybody not you me or the companies building the cars and since government likes multi year programs lets add one dollar of gas tax ( by State ) to each gallon of gas sold each year for the next five years. If that does not change our consumption habit make it a ten year program.

When would you trade your ICE for a BEV? When gas is $5.00 a gallon or $10.00. We all want more for less how about we demand quality and be willing to pay for it.

I am tired of all the tin cuppers running to government to give them money to do what is the right thing to do anyway. So this is my idea to incentivize all of us who drive cars. First, do away with all the give a ways, no more tax breaks of any kind of anybody not you me or the companies building the cars and since government likes multi year programs lets add one dollar of gas tax ( by State ) to each gallon of gas sold each year for the next five years. If that does not change our consumption habit make it a ten year program.

When would you trade your ICE for a BEV? When gas is $5.00 a gallon or $10.00. We all want more for less how about we demand quality and be willing to pay for it.
You give me free gasoline and I'll still drive a tesla.

Im not in it for the savings, I'm in it so I can give the middle finger to all the oil companies!

An anecdote to expand on some of these numbers: in 2008 the Government Accounting Office put the value of petroleum subsidies at about $2/gallon. I can't find a link to their report now, but unlike evbwcaer's numbers, that was just counting money directly to petroleum companies. It did not count the cost of war in the middle east, health benefits for the elderly and asthmatic, ground water cleanup from oil runoff, etc.
On the other hand electricity is also subsidized. Some of it directly benefits from the gas subsidies.