Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can the federal tax credit be claimed under a different name than CA tax rebate?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am curious whether anyone has done this? The car will be under two family members. However, due to the primary person not meeting the income limit for the CA tax rebate, I am wondering whether the federal tax credit filing can be under one name and the state rebate be under the name of the other registered owner, whose income would qualify for CA rebate? I would think the two don’t have anything to do with one another but if anyone has experience with this or knows the best way to get both the federal and state, I would appreciate it.

The CVRP rebate requires that the name of the applicant must be listed on all provided documentation (i.e. vehicle purchase agreement, registration and driver's license). As long as that is the case, I don't see why this shouldn't be possible. BTW, the CVRP really has nothing to do with taxes (state or federal). If approved you'll receive a rebate check.

The CVRP rebate requires that the name of the applicant must be listed on all provided documentation (i.e. vehicle purchase agreement, registration and driver's license). As long as that is the case, I don't see why this shouldn't be possible. BTW, the CVRP really has nothing to do with taxes (state or federal). If approved you'll receive a rebate check.
I think CVRP has an income limit which is why OP wants to have two different owners use the two different programs (cvrp and fed tax credit)

I think CVRP has an income limit which is why OP wants to have two different owners use the two different programs (cvrp and fed tax credit)
Yes, but the rebate still has nothing to do with taxes. The CVRP may require income verification, but otherwise the rebate is simply a purchase rebate that does not appear on any tax forms or the like (in contrast to the federal tax credit which needs to be claimed via the tax return).