Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CA AB 475 Allow ticketing of vehicles not connected to chargers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well the days of EVs getting free short term parking (the most expensive kind of airport parking) are probably numbered given how many EVs are on the road now with more on the way.
Before it was a little niche novelty, but soon (hopefully) it will be more mainstream.

I don't know how many others have seen this link but:
EV World: Chelsea Rides Again!

The photo is funny with the title "Under current law, Chevy Volts legally would not be allowed to use these public chargers in San Francisco".

AFAIK, those spots (in SF) are not public in the first place. They are exclusively for city/ZipCar/CityCarShare usage. But maybe Chelsea gets an exception for Volts. ;)

Well the days of EVs getting free short term parking (the most expensive kind of airport parking) are probably numbered given how many EVs are on the road now with more on the way.
Before it was a little niche novelty, but soon (hopefully) it will be more mainstream.

I'm starting to get the idea. Does "free short term parking" apply to spots with EVSE only, or to all EV wherever they park?

coulomb_chrgpointSFO.jpg

The photo is funny with the title "Under current law, Chevy Volts legally would not be allowed to use these public chargers in San Francisco".

AFAIK, those spots (in SF) are not public in the first place. They are exclusively for city/ZipCar/CityCarShare usage. But maybe Chelsea gets an exception for Volts. ;)
I'm sure EV World, not Chelsea, is responsible for the photo. What is funny is that the vehicles shown charging are after market converted plug-in Priuses, which should be in the same or worse boat as the Volt.

Hawaii Alternative Energy: Charge Points in San Francisco
30kagx0.jpg

I'm sure EV World, not Chelsea, is responsible for the photo. What is funny is that I believe the vehicles charging are converted plug-in Priuses which should be in the same or worse boat as the Volt.

Of course, why would she be responsible for the photo? IIRC the spots were established at a time before the Leaf and Volt came on the market, and the converted Toyota Prius is still the only plugin model provided by CityCarShare. It has nothing to do with being better or worse, just with history. My point is that these spots are not for public use at all, even though the title below the photo says so, referring to them specifically.

So I assume that the new AB475 will also give plug-in Prius access to these parking spots, free parking, and EVSE, and that a previous GM-sponsored bill has already done the same for HOV lane access.

With these perks in place, the current Prius customer base will largely and gradually switch over to the plug-in Prius (unless it will be very expensive, which is unlikely), and given the (currently) hugely larger quantities of this customer base, they are the most likely to be the first in a first-come/first-served spot. Their even smaller battery gives them an even better reason to demand access to chargers. Other manufacturers will introduce similar vehicles with perhaps even smaller batteries, and the perks will go mostly to cars with tiny batteries.

What will happen then? Just a few years down the road, pure EVs will start getting really popular, the perks will be moved over to cars without any ICE whatsoever, and the PHEV owners will get very upset, having spent a lot of money on a car and expecting these perks?

So I assume that the new AB475 will also give plug-in Prius access to these parking spots, free parking, and EVSE, and that a previous GM-sponsored bill has already done the same for HOV lane access.

With these perks in place, the current Prius customer base will largely and gradually switch over to the plug-in Prius (unless it will be very expensive, which is unlikely), and given the (currently) hugely larger quantities of this customer base, they are the most likely to be the first in a first-come/first-served spot. Their even smaller battery gives them an even better reason to demand access to chargers. Other manufacturers will introduce similar vehicles with perhaps even smaller batteries, and the perks will go mostly to cars with tiny batteries.

What will happen then? Just a few years down the road, pure EVs will start getting really popular, the perks will be moved over to cars without any ICE whatsoever, and the PHEV owners will get very upset, having spent a lot of money on a car and expecting these perks?

Yeah, those are interesting points I have been thinking about for a while.
Since GM decided to do a PHEV instead of a ZEV now, they push hard for PHEV incentives to be the same as ZEV, then Toyota gets lined up to take advantage of them too.
There are a bunch of Prius owners with yellow carpool stickers smarting that they are disallowed in the carpool now. When the Plug-in Prius gets new green carpool stickers next year, I imagine some old Prius owners will trade up to get the new stickers. In the mean time, some of them are already "defecting" to the Leaf camp so they could get white stickers now. Nissan has a window of opportunity right now to "steal away" some Toyota Prius customers and convert them to 100% ZEV Leaf owners. Once the Plug-in Prius starts to show up in volume, Nissan will have lost that advantage. At the Leaf owners gatherings I have attended, "last car=Prius" is rather common.

At least with the new green Carpool stickers there will be some minimum bar (although still perhaps a bit low) that means it will need to be a "real" PHEV to qualify.
I imagine we will see some "Plug-in Prius clones" (spec wise) from other manufacturers that are designed to qualify for all the same incentives.
With the change to the parking regs in the works, anything could have a plug and qualify.
I don't know if anyone will be transparent and blatant enough to put a plug/socket on something that really doesn't need it just to qualify to park in "charging while parking" spots.

Hmm:

LAX Lot 1 (90045_2)
Comments:
In order to exit without payment, you must present EV information to the attendant. Print something up that says:
EV Driver Information for Free Parking in LAX:
  • Name
  • Address
  • Phone Number
  • CA Driver's License Number
  • Vehicle License Number
  • Make/Model of Vehicle

EVChargerMaps
For those looking to use the "free" EV parking and charging stations at LAX, please know you will have to purchase a $9.95 (plus $25 deposit) acess card from ChargePoint in advance. I was excited when I found two chargers in the arrival area outside of the Terminal 1 structure (thanks Chelsea!) but could not get the juice to flow into my Volt -- nor could the friendly techncal support person at the other end of the toll-free assistance line because the two ChargePoint stands were not connected to her server (ugh) ... at least the parking was free!

LAX - Parking
Electric Vehicle Parking
Free parking is available for electric vehicles only at charging stations located in the lower/arrivals level of Parking Structures 1 and 6 for up to a maximum of 30 days per visit.

No free parking privilege is available for Clean-fuel, Natural Gas-fueled and/or bi-fuel vehicles...
(Is a Volt "bi-fuel"? Gas/Electric...)

Last edited: