Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Buying guide Roadster 2.5/3.0 - please advise

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

PeterSZ

Electrified petrolhead
Looking back of course I should have bought the Roadster I testdrove back in 2009. Instead I waited another four years for the Model S of which I took delivery in 2013. Daily driving enjoyment at this time is my second MS a beautiful black P100DL. Ten years later I think it is safe to say the original Roadster is the first electric classic collectors car. It started Tesla and Tesla started the entire worldwide transition to electric mobility. To correct my stupidity of ten years ago I am now looking to buy one - before they have become too scarce and too expensive.

Hence my question: is there an online buying guide of some sort to be found online or elsewhere?
If not, what do I have to look out for in an EU Roadster Sport?
For instance:
Which options are a must have?
Which options are nice to have?
Any important quality issues for specific components?
Is the 3.0 battery upgrade something to look for?
Does the 3.0 battery increase speed and acceleration?

Thanks in advance!

Looking back of course I should have bought the Roadster I testdrove back in 2009. Instead I waited another four years for the Model S of which I took delivery in 2013. Daily driving enjoyment at this time is my second MS a beautiful black P100DL. Ten years later I think it is safe to say the original Roadster is the first electric classic collectors car. It started Tesla and Tesla started the entire worldwide transition to electric mobility. To correct my stupidity of ten years ago I am now looking to buy one - before they have become too scarce and too expensive.

Hence my question: is there an online buying guide of some sort to be found online or elsewhere?
If not, what do I have to look out for in an EU Roadster Sport?
For instance:
Which options are a must have?
Which options are nice to have?
Any important quality issues for specific components?
Is the 3.0 battery upgrade something to look for?

Thanks in advance!
Hallo PeterSZ
If you are looking for a roadster I have a few on hand in Denmark
one 2010 sport
one 2009 signatur
one 2011
you can find me as Evmix on facebook and look at a small sample of my work on elbil-doktoren.dk(more photos will be uploaded soon)
you will also be able to call me at 004521784741
kind regards Michael

Not sure how much response you will get here as it’s a common question and within the roadster section of the forum there is plenty of information that will point you in the right direction.
Starting here
Roadster History Europe/APAC
will be a good point. Looking through the North American history will also get you a good idea of options and where /what years/models you are likely to find them
Roadster History North America

A lot of the roadsters currently available are found here
Today's Roadster Orphan

Giving you an idea of price if which is generally all over the price. For a baseline right now you can pick up good cars for $55-65k 2010 base going to 90k for a 2011 fully optioned sport with full carbon and 3.0 battery pack.
So the price usually depends on the model you find most desirable.
These will also answer a lot of questions as the input is from owners who have asked and answered the same questions many times

Buying a 2010 Roadster, hoping for guidance

If you were buying a Roadster today, would you aim for a 1.5, 2.0, or 2.5?

Reactions: Mark77a
Hi Peter, there is a lot info that can be found in the Roadster section here on TMC. An example of a thread is:

Am I crazy to buy?

But you can also go through this thread as an example of things that can get worrying driving a Roadster:

#1146 DMC Motor Fan Problem?

Keeping a Roadster on the road for a reasonable price / km is the most challenging part in my opinion.
Tesla is almost the only source for high voltage parts and it can become expensive replacing parts.
(Battery, PEM, 400v controller, HVAC asembly)

But a lot of work on a Roadster you can go to your local mechanic.

More info on the 3.0 battery can be found here:

3.0 Battery Longevity

First thing I did buying a Roadster was getting more info on battery pack / CAC and asking for all the maintenance bills.
You can compare CAC with other Roadsters here:

Battery Survey « Plug In America

If you want to test drive a Roadster just let me know. I live in Zwolle and thats pretty close.
I never drove a P100D, so maybe we can work something out... ;)

Gr, Marcel

PS: There is a pretty nice Roadster for sale in the Netherlands right now (white one). I asked the owner for the CAC and that is 146, which is pretty good (new CAC is about 160).

Reactions: Mark77a
[QUOTE="PeterSZ, post: 4077561, member: 1896"
[/QUOTE]

It doesn't increase speed, that's still limited by the motor redline to about 125mph/200 km/h.

But it does seem to increase both power and acceleration a bit. The power observation comes from the VMS, and acceleration is a bit subjective, but I'd put down money that it helps at least a little.

But before paying extra for a 3.0 battery you should carefully look at the 3.0 longevity thread that others have linked to. They wear out much faster than the original battery. Though, to the best of my knowledge, none of them have yet gotten to the point of being as bad as a new original battery. But that's just a matter of time.