Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Buying a used Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
without disrespecting your thinking, this is not really possible to form yourself an opinion without having used / driven both.
The AP1 works very well in simple situation. The AP2 goes still quite significantly above in term of functionalities and security, thanks to the side cameras.
But it goes beyond that: with AP2, you have all the camera for Sentry Mode which is a game changer. If the car would be cheap, you would have a point. But 2017 AP1 Tesla are still very expensive and not significantly cheaper than 2017 AP2 or 2.5 cars. I think because not everyone is informed. I do believe that if you are looking for a 2016-2017 Tesla, having an AP2 car should be on the very top of the list because it gives much more functionality and for a 2,5k€ upgrade, you give it much much more value for the resale than an AP1 Tesla.

I get your point, would be good if people who have owned both could chip in. Still none of the above is carved in stone: Cameras don't deter committed thieves (Pin to drive does but my turbines remain at risk...). I like the AP2 and would have loved to get it but I am very happy with the deal I was able to make on my P90DL. Not having AP2 doesn't make this a bad car, and in turn AP2 might not add any extra value if you don't want to spend the 10k on FSD but just want comfortable highway cruising (which AP1 does fine).

Reactions: SilverGS
I get your point, would be good if people who have owned both could chip in. Still none of the above is carved in stone: Cameras don't deter committed thieves (Pin to drive does but my turbines remain at risk...). I like the AP2 and would have loved to get it but I am very happy with the deal I was able to make on my P90DL. Not having AP2 doesn't make this a bad car, and in turn AP2 might not add any extra value if you don't want to spend the 10k on FSD but just want comfortable highway cruising (which AP1 does fine).
Of course. This remains obviously highly subjective and personal.

I drove as a loaner the P 85D, and my father has a S 100D (faster than my S 75D). To be honest, the P 85D is really awfully snippy, no question about that but the S 75D is honestly really plenty fast... at lower speed. This is clear that on German highway, the power between 160-180km/h up to 220 is a little bit more tamed and I guess the P 90DL is very likely making the difference but I guess it only matters for us here in Europe.
For me, more than HW2-HW2,5 itself is the usage in combination with MCU2 (upgrade) where it brings all its benefit (side cameras in reverse, 4 side filmed in dashcam / sentry mode) and of course when changing of lane and taking the exit (with dead angle recognition) thanks to the fact that many Model S from 2017 have EAP with almost all the features of current FSD (except stopping at red light and stops).
What I think would have been an absolute dealbreaker for me would have been the Model S with older pre-"Nextgen" seats that were awful. When you have those though, those Model S remain (AP1 or AP2) so wonderful cars to drive.

• Informative
Reactions: cousin_IT
Hi Forum Members

Newbie here starting the journey doing the figures and tons of research like most of you have probably done already....

The situation - I have currently paid off my Lexus NX300 Hybrid which is worth about £20K

I was waiting for the Model Y to launch and to either sell my NX and put that forward as a deposit and I was starting to see that if my existing Car was a Tesla I would be making savings each month on fuel as I currently am reimbursed 45p from work with no car allowance so from what I understand after I get a Tesla that 45p per mile will continue and I will suffer Tax on the overage over 45p for the first 10k and 25p thereafter.

I was speaking to my brother and he suggested getting a used Tesla prior to getting a Model Y and at first I thought no way but the more I have thought about it the more feasible I becomes....

I have found a Model S 100D 2017 Plate for around £48K I it looks like that the monthly cost in PCP may well be the same as the cost to fill up my NX

Can you make any recommendations or tips on things to consider just in case I am missing anything

I gather that the Supercharging for Free would not be included as its only for the original purchaser of the vehicle?
I've not factored servicing into the equation but currently I pay around £400 per service

I was thinking of buying a home charger with the highest KW I can get on a single phased supply to charge overnight on a lower charge with British Gas Electric Vehicles Owner Tariff.

Probably the longest journey I would be have to do regularly is around 90 miles each way with the occasional 120 mile each way journey to the south coast.

Any big negatives that anyone can think of with buying a 2017 plate instaed of sticking with what I have until the Model Y is available?

Thanks

Bobby
I know you now looking at a M3P…. Why not re look at the mercs? ;)