Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Buying a used 2014 S85 model s

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm in the process of buying a used 2014 model s everything checks out but I'm surprised at 100% it still shows 269 miles. Based on my research EPA was at 265. Is it possible for a 9 year old model s with 90K miles and show no degradation? I asked the owner and it is still on its original battery. Does this mean that the battery health is perfect and less chances of getting the bms_u029 error? Appreciate your inputs. Thanks

You can ask to change the unit back to rated instead of ideal under "display" in the main menu. Most likely the seller doesn't know or wants to drum up the condition. The ideal is a joke, at the end of the day even "rated" may not be absolutely correct, it is still an estimate.

• Helpful
Reactions: Rocky_H
Something is not right. My P85D showed 248 miles at 98% and is rated for 252, plus it only has 16k miles on the clock thus far.

I agree with @cbdream99, have the owner swap over to rated range. No way the current range after 90k miles is going to be higher than the original rated range.

Reactions: Rocky_H
I just bought 2014 with 80K miles and has MCU2. I have not charged it fully. But one thing is for sure the actual miles and the range are not really correct. Driving home from work is 30 miles. The range showed 105 miles and when I got home it was 35 miles range. So I drove 30 miles and it dropped 70 miles.

I just bought 2014 with 80K miles and has MCU2. I have not charged it fully. But one thing is for sure the actual miles and the range are not really correct. Driving home from work is 30 miles. The range showed 105 miles and when I got home it was 35 miles range. So I drove 30 miles and it dropped 70 miles.
First, there is an ideal vs rated range in the settings/units. The ideal range is just not realistic in the real world and can be ignored (55 mph, flat road, no conditioning used). The rated range is close to what you will get; even so, it depends on how fast you drive, what elevation, wind resistance, ac/heat you are using, at all times, this is just an estimation, not an exact number to rely on. You can also switch to using percentages instead, and as you become more familiar with the car, you will learn from your driving style and usage pattern.

Please see my post #9 just before your post.

First, there is an ideal vs rated range in the settings/units. The ideal range is just not realistic in the real world and can be ignored (55 mph, flat road, no conditioning used). The rated range is close to what you will get; even so, it depends on how fast you drive, what elevation, wind resistance, ac/heat you are using, at all times, this is just an estimation, not an exact number to rely on. You can also switch to using percentages instead, and as you become more familiar with the car, you will learn from your driving style and usage pattern.
Thank you. I understand all the variables but that is a big drop. Will change to percentage and see what happens

So I drove 30 miles and it dropped 70 miles.
First, there is an ideal vs rated range in the settings/units. The ideal range is just not realistic in the real world
@NEWUSED2014 I would recommend looking for that setting. Especially as you just got it, a seller might have it set for "Ideal" to make the rated miles on the display look higher. I like keeping mine on rated miles instead of %, but use the "Rated" version of that. Rated is still a little like "Meh, it's ballpark a little high and optimistic", but it's not ridiculous fantasy like the Ideal setting is.

And keep in mind, that's just a fuel gauge. It isn't a range estimator, and it isn't adjusting to your particular driving behavior. It's just looking at the amount of energy and scaling it by the EPA efficiency constant to put that in a unit that's a little easier for a human to get their head around.

• Informative
Reactions: NV Ray