Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Bug removal, front bumper, how often

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

gottagofast

2022 Model 3 Performance
Jan 28, 2024
USA
I get really busy with work, and house work, get home late most of the time

I forget about the bugs on the front of my car so realistically at best I only get them off every 2 - 4 weeks

At this point they are really hard to get off even with the wax I have on my car

So my question is how long can bugs stay on the car before the paint is damaged, how often do you remove your bugs and what do you use to make it easier to remove them

How long could they stay on the car though like if I didn’t have a chance to remove them for 2 months
Those bugs are probably already etched on the clear coat. I have a bunch like that on my car's front bumper.
One way is to try with conpound and polish, but that might not work. Really, the only permanent solution is a respray.
I'd say just let it be and live with it if you couldn't remove the bugs on time

• Helpful
Reactions: SalisburySam
I’ve taken to using a power washer to get off the bulk of them and then scrubbing by hand. I’ve also not found much in the way of products or surface treatments that makes a huge difference.
What makes more sense to me is spray the bumper with bug and tar remover. Let the bug remover sit for 5-10 mins. Then, with a specialized bug mesh sponge, pick off the bugs one by one. You're not supposed to scrub the bugs off, since that will just scratch your paint. You kind of want the bond between the bug and the clear coat to dissolve (which is why you spray the bug remover), then carefully remove the bug.

Then, once done, reapply ONR or wash & wax

• Informative
Reactions: zoomer0056
A clever trick is to use a wet dryer sheet on bugs. They emulsify and wipe off like magic. The sheets are a bit abrasive, so don't rub hard. Let the softener in the sheet do the work.
Bugs have acid inside them. Will quickly etch the clear coat. Especially if the temperature is hot, or the sun bakes them in. If the clear coat gets etched then the repair is more extensive. Only way to tell if the etching has happened is to clean them off and look. Bird poop is similar...get that stuff off ASAP. Only takes a couple minutes to clean with dryer sheet, so get on it!

2 months is my record. Found an easy trick: soak them, let sit for 15-30 min.

Take a dryer sheet (no, really!), get it wet in plain warm water, gently scrub them off. Re wet the sheet often. Then wash as usual, or just rinse off. Took me under 5 minutes total. Hand scrubbing with cloth ir sponge takes me 45 minutes or more.

I wouldn't know if the bugs hurt the paint, I stopped counting at 200 rock chips on the front bumper, so a bit of etched paint seems quaint.

2 months is my record. Found an easy trick: soak them, let sit for 15-30 min.

Take a dryer sheet (no, really!), get it wet in plain warm water, gently scrub them off. Re wet the sheet often. Then wash as usual, or just rinse off. Took me under 5 minutes total. Hand scrubbing with cloth ir sponge takes me 45 minutes or more.

I wouldn't know if the bugs hurt the paint, I stopped counting at 200 rock chips on the front bumper, so a bit of etched paint seems quaint.
Yeah, etched paint isn't terrible. It is what it is. Next time we'll be better prepared with PPF the next time we buy a new Tesla :)

Reactions: zoomer0056
Yep, no way that would be possible for me.

My cars are tools, not treasures.
Im kinda in between on this car, I’ve always driven old used cars that cost less than 10k and only washed them every 3 months or so, didn’t care about bugs or anything on them

Now with this car I’ve never had a car that cost 40k+ so wanted to try to take better care, but at the same time I don’t want to wash it every single day or every week lol

Trying to figure out a reasonable amount of time I can go without taking bugs off and such without ruining the car