Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Brand New Model Y - Tech’s cant fix it (Can I lemon it? Ontario CA)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey guys…not sure if anyone has had any experience with this any insight or personal experience would be helpful

Picked up my Brand new Model Y on June 22nd 2023…on June 25th, I was leaving my house and a block away I got the error stating Pull over immediately, electrical functions of the car cannot sustain functions, shutting down and within 5 minutes the car was completely dead

Got it towed to Tesla, they said the power conversion system was faulty and had it replaced but wanted to keep the car for 2 days to test, the third day when i inquired they said the car was dead again and they are looking into it

A week goes by i follow up and now they are stating the car boots up is fault free and working perfectly fine for a day or two and then it dies again and they dont know what is wrong with it as there are no permanent faults in the system and it just dies. I spoke to the tech and he said in 7 years we has been working there he has never seen it and have sent the data to Tesla engineers and is waiting for them to tell him what to do

As of today July 11th they have not heard anything back…the car hasn't moved or driven a single KM since it got towed to them on 25th

Not sure what to do at this point, car has 581kms on Odometer, am i stuck waiting for engineers which could be days or months? I dont have the confidence in the car anymore if Tesla themselves has “never seen this” and cant seem to figure it out for 3 weeks

Do i keep waiting/ should i contact lawyers for the buyback? Is it too soon? This will be my third Tesla so clearly no hate on the brand but I’m losing confidence in this Y specifically

Edit: any insight would be helpful …even if you guys had any experience with any other manufacturers and what you guys did would be helpful

Last edited:
You don't need a lawyer to initiate a lemon law buyback. Tesla (or any manufacturer) will work with you to complete the process if the car qualifies. You only need a lawyer if the manufacturer fights you on the buyback, assuming it is eligible based on your region's laws. For me, it's 30 days, for you it may be different.

Hey guys…not sure if anyone has had any experience with this any insight or personal experience would be helpful

Picked up my Brand new Model Y on June 22nd 2023…on June 25th, I was leaving my house and a block away I got the error stating Pull over immediately, electrical functions of the car cannot sustain functions, shutting down and within 5 minutes the car was completely dead

Got it towed to Tesla, they said the power conversion system was faulty and had it replaced but wanted to keep the car for 2 days to test, the third day when i inquired they said the car was dead again and they are looking into it

A week goes by i follow up and now they are stating the car boots up is fault free and working perfectly fine for a day or two and then it dies again and they dont know what is wrong with it as there are no permanent faults in the system and it just dies. I spoke to the tech and he said in 7 years we has been working there he has never seen it and have sent the data to Tesla engineers and is waiting for them to tell him what to do

As of today July 11th they have not heard anything back…the car hasn't moved or driven a single KM since it got towed to them on 25th

Not sure what to do at this point, car has 581kms on Odometer, am i stuck waiting for engineers which could be days or months? I dont have the confidence in the car anymore if Tesla themselves has “never seen this” and cant seem to figure it out for 3 weeks

Do i keep waiting/ should i contact lawyers for the buyback? Is it too soon? This will be my third Tesla so clearly no hate on the brand but I’m losing confidence in this Y specifically

Edit: any insight would be helpful …even if you guys had any experience with any other manufacturers and what you guys did would be helpful

CA lemon law allows for a lemon law claim once a new vehicle reaches 30 "Days Vehicle in Service" (DAVIS) days. If I were you, I would do absolutely nothing until the car reaches 30 days being in service, then I would contact them and let them know you would like the car bought back.

If you contact them about the days vehicle in service rule before it expires, they may attempt to rush the car back to you saying "appears fixed" or something like that. So, I would wait until that time, and then talk to them about it being bought back after that.

CA lemon law allows for a lemon law claim once a new vehicle reaches 30 "Days Vehicle in Service" (DAVIS) days. If I were you, I would do absolutely nothing until the car reaches 30 days being in service, then I would contact them and let them know you would like the car bought back.

If you contact them about the days vehicle in service rule before it expires, they may attempt to rush the car back to you saying "appears fixed" or something like that. So, I would wait until that time, and then talk to them about it being bought back after that.
Thankyou i had no idea..ive been following up at once a week or twice lately..i will let them do their thing then

I believe it's more like 3 attempts at the same repair and/or 30 days total in service.

Reactions: whisperingshad
I believe it's more like 3 attempts at the same repair and/or 30 days total in service.

Im not a lawyer, but my understanding of this is its:

1. (4) Attempts by a representative of the manufacturer / Dealer to fix the SAME ISSUE, or
2. (2) Attempts to fix a Safety related issue , or
3. (30) DAVIS days (days vehicle in service.

I didnt mention the other 2 because the OP states their car is still in service but it didnt sound like they had taken it there 3 times already. Also, the "4 attempts to fix the same thing" tends to be something dealers sort of skirt, because if you take your car in 2 times for the same thing and they say "unable to duplicate / No problem found" on the service ticket, YOU think you took it in 2 times for the same thing but thats not what the paperwork says.

Service writers tend to be very good at that part of this.

The 30 Days vehicle in service is a bit harder to do anything about, and especially given tesla lead times on service, would be an easier metric to attain / push them on.

Im not a lawyer though so anyone going down this road might want to get advice from an expert in this field.

Reactions: whisperingshad
One dealer has never seen this doesn't mean it never happened anywhere. It just means it's not common, nor common enough to have a technical service bulletin. It might end up just being a faulty wire somewhere and not an important part to replace. The difficulty lies in diagnosing and at this level it might very well need the top engineers and not just a mechanic in the garage. I say don't lose confidence yet.
At the very least they should be able to provide a replacement vehicle in the meantime since it's taking a long time. You could ask for that plus some form of regular feedback.

If this problem persists, I would be speaking with Tesla service center or corporate and I would ask them to buy back the vehicle and provide you with another new vehicle. I would not give up faith in Tesla, the model Y brand, or the process. It may be a difficult process, hopefully they have you in a loaner, and it seems you got a rare manufacturing defect which happens at all manufacturers.

Check out some of my early postings. I had similar problems early on. The SC eventually referred the problem to “engineering”. It got fixed fairly quickly after that. They replaced the PCS as well as the High Voltage Converter. The car has run perfectly since over the past six weeks and 1600 miles. They did provide me with a loaner.

Well, you aren't alone:

I am in a similar situation and found your post after I wrote my experience. Do you have any more updates? Where do things currently stand for you?

Not sure what state you are in, but I would at least speak with a Lemon Law attorney. In my state, the longer the car is out of service, the more likely it would trigger the Lemon Law. My post is just before yours above. I had problems at 400 miles. They also sent it to “engineering”. They replaced the PCS and the High Voltage Converter. I have had no additional problems over 4 months and 4,000 miles. I would also schedule a face to face with the service manager to see if anything is going on behind the scenes. I had regular conversations with my service manger until it was fixed.