Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Bought a 100D with ventilated seats! I DID IT! WOOO WOOOOOOOO!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Because some people get really hung up on FUSC. I don't get it. If you drive 15k a year on Supercharger electricity it's a $1000 difference on your energy costs while you're busy doing $15k in depreciation on the car. But people care about what they care about, and taking something away always leaves some people really stuck on it. It's just the way of things.

It really should be in the 100D is here thread. . . But this one drew a lot of attention with a tabloid headline.

It's not that simple actually however. Ironically the FUSC isn't it for me. . . Interior customization went out the window with the bundles offered. I ordered (12/30) tan / figured ash / black headliner. . . .no such luck- fewer options and ordering structure changed with 100d release. I also have ventilated seats which I would have lived without. . . Would have paid the 3k for the 100 if they had the interior I wanted. Nope. The upgrade cost per usable kW is ridiculous (98.1 or so for the 100 and 82 for the 90- the 100 is much more efficient). . . .whatever. Gonna probably lease now and see how things shake out in 3 years.

It's quite possible, in the near future, that Tesla starts selling FUSC packages, for say $2000 like they used to do for the early 85kWh cars.

That would be beyond idiotic.

Removing FUSC annoys customers on road trips, but it reduces abuse of SuperChargers by locals - thereby making the network more available. So it's probably a fair tradeoff.

But offering FUSC for $2000 the first people who would jump on it would be locals who want to get their money's worth. And since this is a payment for a commodity that's otherwise pay-per-use, there would be absolutely no way to make a 'long distance only' argument. So now you'd annoy people on road trips AND you actively encourage local abuse.

Reactions: EinSV
I have a friend who stayed on the Verizon unlimited plan for years after they stopped offering it. He was paying $600 for his phones back when they subsidized them down to $200 or less, and paying the same for his plan as a limited data use plan. His actual data use? Less than 2GB a month. People like to know they can do something even if they never do.

I can understand why people don't enjoy the new bundled options. My favorite combination is also gone. It's still better than many mainstream auto manufacturers. Sometimes they won't even let you choose a particular combination of exterior and interior colors together. If you really still want a precise combination you can still get it. Just buy the seat/headliner combo that you want and then pay for the spare interior parts to change out the wood. It will cost more but you will get exactly the combo you want. If you're okay with used parts you can even do this to get combinations that they don't offer any more.

Reactions: oktane and Sully's8
Just buy the seat/headliner combo that you want and then pay for the spare interior parts to change out the wood. It will cost more but you will get exactly the combo you want. If you're okay with used parts you can even do this to get combinations that they don't offer any more.

Might have even considered your suggestion, and I do appreciate the creativity, but believe it or not, one can no longer get tan seats with a black headliner, which is what I ordered. I think it's a logical combo for an Obsidian Black S. (Figured ash rounds it out).

A few days into my decision to skip the upgrade and I'm in a good place. I want the car to look the way I want, and I obviously chose it when the menu was customizable for a reason. With the FUSC and ventilated seats as incidental "Pros" I've returned to simply looking forward to getting my Tesla. . .

I can't imagine the 100D's outperformance of the 90D will be so extraordinary that I'll suffer. Resale value is a different subject altogether of course, so pondering the lease vs. own question until application time. Probably was going to buy but the 90D will likely depreciate a helluva lot faster than the 100Ds of the same vintage. In 3 years I expect we might be in a more stable environment with AP2 and autonomous driving and a CPO may be calling my name.

Reactions: NOLA_Mike
A few days into my decision to skip the upgrade and I'm in a good place. I want the car to look the way I want, and I obviously chose it when the menu was customizable for a reason. With the FUSC and ventilated seats as incidental "Pros" I've returned to simply looking forward to getting my Tesla. . ..

You will absolutely love that car.....a customized interior, a range that suits most all of your driving needs and the pick up/torque/mass to perforrm as needed. There is something extra special knowing you actually tailored your car trunk to frunk, and it makes driving it that much more enjoyable. You've locked in a Tesla buying experience no longer available, and you can still plug into any SC any time you damn please!

EDIT: post day 1 pictures!

Last edited:
I can't imagine the 100D's outperformance of the 90D will be so extraordinary that I'll suffer.

Well said. You will love your new 90D and have forgotten about all this angst about 1 hour after you take delivery.

Probably was going to buy but the 90D will likely depreciate a helluva lot faster than the 100Ds of the same vintage.

I doubt it. I suspect your Free Unlimited Supercharging will at least offset any other perceived difference in the 90D vs 100D with regards to depreciation. I don't recall the 85D all of a sudden dropping dramatically when the 90D came out. In addition, after trading "up" on two Model Ss in the last 3 years I don't really find the depreciation to be much different than any other car I've owned in the same price range. And if I take into account the Federal and State tax incentives I've found it to be better than others.

In 3 years I expect we might be in a more stable environment with AP2 and autonomous driving and a CPO may be calling my name.

I wouldn't count on that. Elon recently tweeted that major revisions and improvements will come every 12-18 months so if that's a concern then you're buying the wrong car (paraphrased).

Mike

Mike and @NikeWings-

First of all thanks for the vote of confidence on "taking the pitch" on the 100d. Was looking fastball and I'm learning that Elon has a wicked curveball. . .

I doubt it. I suspect your Free Unlimited Supercharging will at least offset any other perceived difference in the 90D vs 100D with regards to depreciation. I don't recall the 85D all of a sudden dropping dramatically when the 90D came out. In addition, after trading "up" on two Model Ss in the last 3 years I don't really find the depreciation to be much different than any other car I've owned in the same price range. And if I take into account the Federal and State tax incentives I've found it to be better than others.

I wouldn't count on that. Elon recently tweeted that major revisions and improvements will come every 12-18 months so if that's a concern then you're buying the wrong car (paraphrased).

Mike

Didn't know the FUSC was transferable. . .that is a strong feature to promote when I sell or trade up. Very helpful

Agree with Elon's thoughts. I'm confident I'll be looking at another Tesla down stream, just inferring that there will be more options and variation in the CPO market in a few years.

Illinois is broke and in spite of being a democratic state there are no state incentives here. . .but gas is expensive and the federal credit is certainly welcome. Wife is about 8 years from the state teacher's pension and I'd rather they attempt to keep that solvent anyway. :)

Thanks again for the support. Can't wait.

Reactions: NOLA_Mike
Please, Tesla could easily limit local charging and/or detect abuse and limit it. It just has to be part of the agreement that both parties agree to.

We can revisit this when Tesla introduces SC charging plans instead of pay per kWh or minute. It's bound to happen.

So you think Tesla will have 2 plans?

a) A 11c/kWh 'for whatever you want, whenever you want, just move the car when you're done' - plan?
-and-
b) A $2000 'kind-a' sort'a unlimited but not really please don't use it too much' - plan?

And then you expect Tesla, of all people, and Tesla employees to be able to articulate the differences between those plans to customers when they buy the car?

• Funny
Reactions: MP3Mike
Hi everyone -- we didn’t announce the 100D earlier because the pack is more complex and requires more time to produce. The 100D is in the new price book and does not include free unlimited Supercharging, nor ventilated seats. This is the same approach for all, no one is getting a special deal or treatment.

Extending free unlimited Supercharging beyond the custom order date wasn't fair to those who ordered by the deadline. The ventilated seat availability is the result of a decision to give the best possible in-car experience. They are now no longer available in our supply chain, and thus we can't include those in orders going forward.

Your feedback and input is super helpful.

Thanks,

Jon

So the OP is definitely not getting free unlimited if I understand this correctly.

Let's stop for a second to recognize how awesome it is that @JonMc, the freaking President of global sales and service, is following and commenting on our forum. Hes done this before and I've chatted with him on PM before so it's not necessarily news, but just wanted to recognize it again. So cool and unheard of in any other auto company or any company for that matter.

Okay, back to your regularly scheduled top 1% complaints :)

I'll continue enjoying my 'dinosaur' AP 1.0 P100D. (AP2 was released right after i got my car, no worries!)

Apparently the difference in usable kWh between 90 kW and 100 kW is even bigger than we thought.

According to wk057, 90 kW usable is ~81 kW, while 100 kW usable is above ~98 kW.

That's would be a 17 kW difference, not 10...

Pics and Info: Inside the Tesla 100kWh Battery Pack | wk057's SkieNET
Can someone explain how the this matters? At the end if the day it's the rated range that each car gives that is important. Whether it's 10kw or 17kw, the difference in rated miles is still the same between 90d and 100d.

Just trying to understand :)

While I'm not Jon I will give you the same answer everyone here has been giving you. Yes, they can change for just $500 extra, but they aren't changing their order; they are cancelling their order, placing a new order, and then having their deposit transferred to the new order instead of losing it. So the order is being placed after the cut-off.

Nope. That's not what Tesla is telling me. They told me that the only way I can "upgrade" to the 100D is to cancel my 90D order and forfeit the $2500 deposit, and then place a new order for the 100D. I am currently waiting for Tesla to contact me back regarding some inquiries that I have made with the delivery team in Fremont yesterday as well as my OA.

Extending the deadline for FUSC to 1/15/17 wasn't exactly fair to those who ordered by the previous 12/31/16 deadline either.

Why? Those who ordered by 12/31 got exactly what they ordered. Tesla extending the deadline only gave more people an opportunity to buy cars with FUSC. The people who ordered later don't get anything more than the people who ordered earlier, and the people who ordered earlier aren't hurt by the people who ordered later. How is that unfair to people who ordered earlier?

To upgrade from the 90D to the 100D only requires the $500 change fee....although I would not call it "only" unless you are comparing it to $2500. The only way you would need to pay the $2500 is if your car was already in production.*
* or parts have already been sourced and it is nearly in production.

In another thread, @jwtseng mentioned that his car would enter production on Monday (1/30?).

Last edited:
Reactions: MP3Mike
The handful of customers lucky enough to be in your situation already had it better than the 90D/100D customers before and after.

You had the choice of either a 90D with free unlimited supercharging or a 100D without. Current customers do not have a choice of a 90D with FUSC, so you have better options than they did. Customers before you did not have the option of purchasing a 100D without a cancellation penalty or at all, so you have options they did not.

You already had better options than everyone else. But you want a deal that nobody else was offered -- FUSC on a 100D. I don't see how it's hard to see why Tesla might find it is unfair to offer a special deal to customers like you, especially since they were already lucky enough to have better options than the customers who bought before and after them.

First, I had that choice along with everyone else who ordered by the 1/15 deadline. That is not luck at all.

Second, I am not asking for anything special for myself, I was asking for the same thing for everyone in this position. I would have an order in now, I don't. I am a big boy, I can handle it. I will order if and when I am ready.