Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

BMW i8

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Another British car mag journo that fancies the i8. The i8 part of the video starts at 7:10. The rest of the video even has some brief footage from the Gallons of Light unofficial Tesla ‘commercial’ sprinkled here and there.

Can you find the less 4 secs of this 14 min 32 secs video in which anything related to the Tesla appears? Don't blink or you will miss it. A true puff piece for the i8.

Last edited by a moderator:
The front of the model S looks dated compared to the i8.
The i8 has this futuristic Tron look to it.

The i8 is designed to look like a Supercar (without performing like one). I would hope it looks better. The i8 can't seat 5+2 either. That single design decision mandates the Model S look a little different anyway especially when you want to add storage in the front (i8 also doesn't have this). That said the i8 looks great but so does the Model S.

Although everyone that sees the Model S is overwhelmed by the design ("I've never seen such a beautiful car") I felt that way, too, when I looked at the i8. My first thought after that, though, was, "Man, I can't wait to see what Tesla does with the next generations". I think we are moving toward Tron-ish designs. At least BMW is.

Remember that they are gars designed for different markets and with different goals and different importance to their manufacturer. Tesla S is the (currently) only model from a new manufacturer designed to specifically make EVs mainstream. To manage this it has to have range and also be tractional and look desirable - not like a golf buggy not too 'space age', it has to look enough like an ordinary car. i8 is a fringe product from BMW, it doesn't have to sell in large numbers so the styling can be more 'out there'.

ALL ELECTRIC BMW i8 seen in the wild

This was the first i8 i have seen in the wild, I now understand what the reviews meant when they said the backseat is a joke.
unnamed.jpg