Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • Want to remove ads? Register an account and login to see fewer ads, and become a Supporting Member to remove almost all ads.
  • Tesla's Supercharger Team was recently laid off. We discuss what this means for the company on today's TMC Podcast streaming live at 1PM PDT. You can watch on X or on YouTube where you can participate in the live chat.

BMW i3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
To my understanding the Tesla Model S should be charged to 80% in warmer climates to avoid the battery degrading too fast. Only when planning long drives you should charge to 100%. With Tesla's long range, not a problem.
How is it with the i3? The sales told me always charge to 100% is no problem for the i3. Correct, or do you have different information?

Got to see an i3 in person but didn't go for a ride. Rather uninteresting car with bicycle looking narrow wheels. The CF frame is the best achievement of the car but only seats 4 and tiny EV range. Leaf seems a better buy for a city EV.

First i3 - joining the 60-odd EVs - at the charging stations at my workplace:

hu5eve3a.jpg

Got to see an i3 in person but didn't go for a ride. Rather uninteresting car with bicycle looking narrow wheels. The CF frame is the best achievement of the car but only seats 4 and tiny EV range. Leaf seems a better buy for a city EV.

The biggest turn off for me personally is the lack of cargo space. On a Leaf, there is a deep rear trunk that can hold a lot.

I have yet to see one of these on the road in the epicenter of EVs (the SF Bay Area). I have driven by the same one (looks the same anyway) at a BMW dealer but that hasn't moved in a while. According to Realist, BMW supposedly had firm orders for at least 30,000 of these months before they were going to hit the market. Wonder where they all are because they certainly aren't on the roads. Not in California anyway.

I saw my first i3 in the SF Bay Area a few days ago on the 280 southbound. I do a fair amount of driving for work, mostly on the peninsula, and also am surprised I haven't seen more. Saw my first i3 in London (UK) last month. I'm really trying to warm up to the exterior design...but it's a challenge.

I am interested in taking a test drive to see what it's like.

BMW is spending big bucks marketing their i cars. In both the London UK and Oslo Norway airports last month there were huge ads for the cars, and in the Heathrow Sofitel airport lobby there was an i3 car on display (but locked and no one present to talk to about it).

In contrast, Tesla spends essentially nothing on marketing and is production constrained, not demand constrained. Hmm...

I have yet to see one of these on the road in the epicenter of EVs (the SF Bay Area). I have driven by the same one (looks the same anyway) at a BMW dealer but that hasn't moved in a while. According to Realist, BMW supposedly had firm orders for at least 30,000 of these months before they were going to hit the market. Wonder where they all are because they certainly aren't on the roads. Not in California anyway.

Same here and I'm in the next town over from you in Cupertino. We have FOUR Model S cars just in my immediate neighborhood. I have yet to ever see an i3 in person. Methinks BMW may be exaggerating the demand. ;)

Methinks BMW may be exaggerating the demand. ;)

Methinks some perspective is needed. The i3 has only been available in the US for almost 2 months, the first month of which was only the Electronaut Edition. . The fact you don't see many in your neighborhood means nothing. It only speaks to current deliveries in your area, not demand. Have some patience, and rejoice that yet another manufacturer believes there is enough EV demand to sustain a new product line.

The i3 is yet another step in the secret master plan. Don't belittle the other EV's out there, as Tesla cannot change the world on its own. It needs help.

I don't think BMW believes in the product or they would have made a more serious effort. Their 1 series EV for example could have been improved. The i3 is really not a serious effort. One was a Laguna Seca today.

I don't think BMW believes in the product or they would have made a more serious effort. Their 1 series EV for example could have been improved. The i3 is really not a serious effort. One was a Laguna Seca today.

BMW takes an obvious cautionary effort in launching EVs. They approached it from an incumbent's perspective and need to ensure that their steps are fruitful for them. The whole approach to the launch of the i3 is commendable in their attempt to ensure that they make money on the i3 from day one. They managed expectations for the first year so that they can exceed one expectations.

The whole production line and process for the i3 is very much focused on sustainable things, from the hydro electric power used to produce the carbon fiber to the other materials used in the car. It is no Model S. It is meant to be a city car and driven day-to-day. Aside from Nissan, until a car sells in volume, the effort can be questioned. The fact that BMW is selling this car all over the US and the world shows their effort is real. It is NOT a compliance car.

As for the Active E, it's about 4,000 lbs and is real fun to drive, but it's not as "performance" as a Model S and it doesn't need to be. I'd still have one in my garage if BMW didn't force me to return my car.

The Active E looked like the direction BMW should have gone. It looks like a BMW. They could have taken the same weight reduction technology and applied it towards the Active E.

I agree. I was following BMW's efforts from the days of the Mini EV and then the ActiveE. I was hoping that their next generation EV (after ActiveE) would have similar performance as a BMW 1 series. But I think what happened is that BMW selected a target audience of Prius/Leaf/Volt buyers who wanted a bit more a more upscale experience. If you look at the design of the i3, it's clear that they are trying to appeal to the green/eco/alternative crowd.