Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

bluetooth/iphone problem - any ideas?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This happens to me with iPhone 6 IOS 10 and then I upgraded to iPhone 8 + IOS 11 and it still happens 100% of the time. I have to leave my phone unpaired or face the (no) music every time I get in the car. It's not a phone hardware problem. It's not a phone configuration problem. It's either an IOS 11 bug or Tesla bug. I've had similar problems in a Chevy Volt 2017. The only thing that stops it is either leaving the phone unpaired OR make a phone call then hang up. What a pain in phone. I was an s/w h/w engineer before I became an author and I am certain this problem is related to BAD programming logic used to prevent the loss of a call that is in progress when you turn the car on.

This just started happening to me after almost 2 years of trouble-free hands-free phoning. I did a Tesla upgrade yesterday (2018.6.1 641efac) and now the Bluetooth hands-free speakerphone is not functioning. I am able to initiate the call, the radio will mute properly but I am unable to hear any audio on the phone call. Does this take a service center visit to resolve?

Last edited:
This just started happening to me (after a hiatus for a few years), in both my Teslas. The problem began immediately after I upgraded to iOS 12.1. I have trouble believing that the software in both my Teslas suddenly whacked out on the same day, so I'm blaming the iOS 12.1 upgrade.

I will test 12.1 today and let you know.

FWIW, My problem went away when I bought my (then new) iPhone 7. Don’t discount the possibility of a weird/subtle Bluetooth problem with your phone.The old phone and new phone were both running the same version of iOS at the time.

updated my phone yesterday to iOS 12.1 and no problem last night or this morning. The car is a 12/2014 P85D and an iphone 7. FWIW, I had the cell modem updated to LTE (it was built as 3G), but don't know either way if the bluetooth does or does not share a board with the cell modem.