Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Blind spot monitoring in side mirrors?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Leave the rear view camera image on the upper part of the center display. It clearly shows the traditional "blind spots" that other cars have, but the Model S does not.
The rear view wide angle lens is so wide that it covers everything up to the point where you can see cars to the side of you in your peripheral vision without even turning your head.
^^^^This. Although it does take some time to retrain yourself to look down at the screen rather than up at the mirror. Still it works really well.

Leave the rear view camera image on the upper part of the center display. It clearly shows the traditional "blind spots" that other cars have, but the Model S does not.
The rear view wide angle lens is so wide that it covers everything up to the point where you can see cars to the side of you in your peripheral vision without even turning your head.
NOTE: the new AP auto lane change feature cannot safely change lanes unless the driver does a visual check first. Tesla makes no claims that auto lane change can be done safely just based on the vehicle sensors without driver participation. The driver must first verify that a lane change can be made safely before initiating auto lane change!
So neither of these options address my irritation, which is that the car is too subtle when it knows there's a vehicle, not that it is meant to replace your own due diligence.

If I indicate a lane change and the car knows someone's there, AP or not, it should be very obvious. If it doesn't display anything I will proceed with my normal due diligence.

For the camera, it'd be nice then if there was an option to have the camera switch on when you turn on the indicator, which I've seen Accord's do with their side view cameras.

I think that should be a must have feature.
I also personally think that the dash has so much dynamic information right now, which lead you checking the dash constantly. It'd be better if they can transfer this nice toy car visualisation to some kind of heads up display.

I own a 2015 Highlander Limited and the last car I owned before that was a 2008 Subaru WRX. Something I've really liked about the Highlander is the lighted warning of a vehicle in my blind spot on the actual side mirrors (never had this on my WRX). Is this something that is in a Model S or it seems it's only on the dash as a warning from some other threads I've read (and yet some people seem to have it?)

Just wanted to get confirmation from someone that owns an MS.

Would seem odd that for all the awesomeness that I've read about MS they wouldn't have lighted blind spot monitoring in the side mirrors.

Is it only something in the newest MS maybe or no one?
Couldn't agree more. I live my life with the blind spot yellow flashing in the side mirrors in my audi and suburban... it's gonna be like going back in time now in retraining....