Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Blind Holster Phone

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My complaint with Qi is the slow rate of charge. I'll happily plug in for 2.1 amp charging.

And it's inefficient and heats up the battery too much, as well.
For phones this is not really a big issue. I use it regularly and it's only a little slower than the wired charging and I did not experience heat issues.

For cars ( a la Porsche's claim for their 2019 "Tesla killer") I find it hard to believe they have an efficient way unless they redefine the laws of physics. But maybe they don't care about efficiency liker that...

Wireless charging introduces compromises that not all manufacturers are embracing. It's far from broadly adopted, which makes it a hard sell to integrate into other products.

It's definitely convenient though, if you've got it...

I would completely disagree. Maybe Apple is not embracing it, but in reality you get the best of both worlds. You can drop it on the charger/charger pad and have it charge...or if you want faster charging (which is the main compromise) you plug it in directly. So wireless charging can be wired as well.

I have a Samsung, and must say the wirless is superconvenient and even faster than my previous phone when wired. If however I need lots of charge quick, i plug it in.

You can always plug it in if you are in a hurry. It's so easy to just set it on the pad that I find that it always stays close to full.

My Yukon has a Qi pad built into the armrest. I've taken trips where, while using Waze and Pandora, the battery actually drains because it's using more juice than the charger is adding.

My Yukon has a Qi pad built into the armrest. I've taken trips where, while using Waze and Pandora, the battery actually drains because it's using more juice than the charger is adding.

I've had the same problem using a plug in charger in my old cars... Those apps really suck power.
Of course both of those are available in the Tesla on the big screen

I've had the same problem using a plug in charger in my old cars... Those apps really suck power.
Of course both of those are available in the Tesla on the big screen

That's a good point. I don't use the USB outlets in the Model S for power, they're anemic.

This bad boy has 2x2.1 and one 2.4 outputs
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1443799375.097402.jpg

Yeah, Tesla needs a Pandora app. Waze is better than the built in for traffic.

The new Samsung Qi chargers are able to charge 1.4x faster than older Qi chargers. I've used my old Qi charger with my phone running GPS navigation on 500+ mile road trips and luckily have never had a problem with my phone draining. I love being able to just set it down on the sticky/magnetic mount and have it mounted and charging instantly.

Qi may be great, but given that Apple doesn't use it, the brand new Google Nexus phones don't use it, etc., I think it's on its way out. You can always add it to a phone with one of those kits, but I think seeing it in phones from the factory may be a failed experiment.

Qi may be great, but given that Apple doesn't use it, the brand new Google Nexus phones don't use it, etc., I think it's on its way out. You can always add it to a phone with one of those kits, but I think seeing it in phones from the factory may be a failed experiment.
The iPhone and the Nexus are not where the world of mobile phones begins and ands. As per GSMarena.com there are 43 cellphones supporting QI charging today from Samsung, LG, Motorola, Microsoft/Nokia, Sony...
In any case, it is a very cheap thing to implement, it would be great if they offered it in the future.

The iPhone and the Nexus are not where the world of mobile phones begins and ands. As per GSMarena.com there are 43 cellphones supporting QI charging today from Samsung, LG, Motorola, Microsoft/Nokia, Sony...
In any case, it is a very cheap thing to implement, it would be great if they offered it in the future.

The biggest issue is that Qi is not supported through Metal.

This is why the iPhone and new Nexus devices don't have it.

It was fairly obvious to me. It's simply a guide that is matched to your phone and allows you to place it onto the charge connector that sticks up from the center console. Apparently they have different adapter guides for different phones.
You can do something similar by cutting 2 small strips of black rubber sticking them on the lid so they just touch the sides of the phone. This keeps the phone from moving side to side in hard turns and also helps a hold the phone in place when accelerating.

Our 2016 Volt is coming with a place to put your phone and it has a cooling vent to keep the phone cool while charging. I believe it has wireless charging as well. Seems like a no brainer since it is clear that batteries should be keep at a reasonable temperature!

Chevrolet feature:
View attachment 96545
Nice. Maybe next year Apple will "invent" wireless charging and the masses will finally become aware of the convenience, similar to what they've done with NFC, customizable keyboards, etc. [emoji6]

f224e41183def1ff3c5b7fb1d4c054f4.jpg

Last edited:
Still to far back to be useful. Even if the phone is not be 'used' while driving, many of us use Waze, Spotify, Pandora etc, that's why I can't use my center console; I just have the phone mounted on the dash. Unless someone is very disciplined, each time the phone notifies of something, many will be tempted to look down at the phone; at that point, this is no longer a safety feature. This is the same reason why most auto manufacturers now have the audio controls and status screens set as close to the windshield as possible.

Looks perfectly fine and functional to me.
But that's not the expectation I have for a luxury SUV. I mean even the Volvo some have been considering has a nicer center console. I mean seriously did they use the same material that you usually just use inside storage compartments for something that's visible all the time?

http://fotos.autozeitung.de/938x704/images/bildergalerie/2015/03/08-bmw-x5-suv-vergleich.jpg

http://cdn.bmwblog.com/wp-content/uploads/The-new-BMW-X5-M-with-BMW-M-Performance-Parts-9.jpg

http://assets.volvocars.com/us/~/me.../gallery-module-2/all_new_xc90_interior_1.jpg