Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Black, white or silver? Which color is best for Model S?

Which color is best for Model S?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
OK. so you would choose a black roof for the white car? What about you dsm363? Or everybody else who voted for white? Would you guys use black for the roof? thanks.

I'd go pano, but if I couldn't do pano, I'd seriously consider the black roof. I'd have to see it in person, but if it's like the BMWs I've seen with them, it should look good -- especially if you intend to continue to customize your car with other dark accents like carbon fiber.

OK. so you would choose a black roof for the white car? What about you dsm363? Or everybody else who voted for white? Would you guys use black for the roof? thanks.
I'd have to see it in person as well but I think it might look pretty good. The safer bet would be pano roof or body color top though. I have the carbon fiber black top on my Roadster and it looks good.

A long time ago someone whose opinion I valued told me "Son, there are two colors for a car, 'white' and 'wrong'."
Black is certainly the executive color, but it shows the tiniest bit of road grime immediately. Silver has had a poor track recourd when it comes to retaining its quality over time. Same with most reds.
White "usually" looks good on a car, but it can depend on the non-painted items if the end result is pleasing or off the mark. White also has a very important trait in hotter climates. Its cooler inside. On hotter days, we could get 2nd degree burns from the seats of the black-on-black Thunderbird we used to have.
Other colors come and go with the whims of fashion, but as above, its the non-painted items that will tell the tale.
(Hey, if there was one color that pleased everybody, we wouldn't be discussing this.)

My first impression was to order a white one with a brown leather interior, but I succumbed to the Newport Beach store's black showroom model.

-- Ardie
"The customer can have any color they want, so long as its black." Henry Ford

Last edited:
I'd go pano, but if I couldn't do pano, I'd seriously consider the black roof. I'd have to see it in person, but if it's like the BMWs I've seen with them, it should look good -- especially if you intend to continue to customize your car with other dark accents like carbon fiber.

Wow so many pano roof supporters. I was thinking about the pano too but then i heard some negative info. Like for example that on other cars the sunroof can break easily, it doesn't close well, it makes wind noise or it leaks. Also that the sun might get trough right on the infotainment display and it will be hard to see. Even during the October ride event there was a problem with the roof. So let's just hope Tesla can do the roof well.

Wow so many pano roof supporters. I was thinking about the pano too but then i heard some negative info. Like for example that on other cars the sunroof can break easily, it doesn't close well, it makes wind noise or it leaks. Also that the sun might get trough right on the infotainment display and it will be hard to see. Even during the October ride event there was a problem with the roof. So let's just hope Tesla can do the roof well.

Considering Tesla's is a brand new product, I'm not sure direct comparisons can be made to other vehicles, but I do have the panoramic roof on my Q5:

• I've never heard of a panoramic roof breaking (not saying it can't). I suppose if someone dropped a brick while you were parked in front of a building...
  • Not sure how anyone can say it doesn't close well, the product isn't out there. On my Q5 though, zero problems with opening or closing
  • No wind noise (there's a deflector)
  • By leaks do you mean water or air? I've NEVER had mine leak, but it's definitely colder up there in the winter. Closing the shade usually eliminates any emminating cold though
  • The sun on the infotainment screen is just speculation. To my knowledge no one has actually had this issue, and I do believe it was mentioned Tesla was coating the screen with some anti-glare agent. The roof will also be tinted. For what it's worth, I've never had a glare problem on my screen from the roof (also tinted)
  • Didn't hear about any issues at the event, but even if they were, 2 were beta vehicles, one was an engineering build prettied up. None were off the line

Not sure where all of the above came from, but it sounds like a bunch of rumors/concerns and not real issues (yet).

I think that's overblown. I've had a couple of cars with sunroof and I've never had a problem of any sort with them - no noise, leaks, or failures of any kind.

I think that's overblown. I've had a couple of cars with sunroof and I've never had a problem of any sort with them - no noise, leaks, or failures of any kind.
Most sun/moon roofs are fine and don't become a problem until 5-10 years down the road when the rubber sealant gets hard and cracks. That should be something that can be fixed if it happens.

I'm getting white, and here's why:

1. the car is so silent that at night I want people to see me if they can't hear me. Black and silent, sounds like a bad combination lol
2. I have a black suv and i had it detailed a few weeks ago, wow, it looked worse after the detail because of all the rock chips on the nose. If it had been white, it wouldn't have shown as much
3. wont show the scratches as much.

I voted black.

I agree that black is hard to maintain, and silver is much easier (I had silver once, and it wouldn't show dirt unless it was caked on). Black also shows swirls in the sun... if you look for them. However... when you are driving around, most people will not be inspecting your car for swirls or a film of dirt. At night, no one will be able to see any swirls or dirt.

You can pull up to a black tie affair in a black car, and it screams elegant as you get out in your tux and your wife/date in her gown. When you stop, people will think, "where is the red carpet?"

When you pull up in a white car, they'll think you're lost and don't belong there. So, as you can tell, I am anti-white & pro-black. Car color is completely subjective, so I don't fault anyone for having a different opinion. I would also like to add, I saw the white roadster with carbon-fiber accents, and thought that it looked very sharp. So, I think my opinion regarding white does not apply to sports cars, just luxury sedans.

I voted white, mostly because I saw the car at the factory event in October and the white looked absolutely amazing. I don't know if it's the special paint job or what, but the white really popped, much more than the black. I like the grey also, but I was sold when I saw that white up close and in person.

Of course, I'll probably still get Signature Red :smile:

I am anti-white & pro-black.

Racist! :wink: you're right about looking more elegant, but I'm not sure (prepares for flames) that the S has that elegant look in the first place. More sporty than elegant IMO, but it's lost much of the Aston martin look it had I think (thought also find those more sporty than stately). If it were an Audi A8 or a 7 series, then yeah, id think black is the best choice.

I've had white cars before, and it's really true - they don't show the dirt.

Really? This is what my Leaf looks like today :tongue:

leaf2.jpg

(I still voted white:biggrin: (Pearl White though))

why any color - just a transparent paint to show the aluminium or even brushed aluminium what is made of
There were a lot of people pushing for a clear-coat over polished aluminum, but Tesla didn't oblige. :frown:

On the pano roof, I am probably just cursed, but the sun roof on my 2002 A4 developed a gremlin that would cause it to open randomly, which wasn't too horrid until it further developed a problem where it wouldn't seat properly all the time. Now on my wife's BMW, there is some sub-millimeter seating problem that markedly increases wind noise at highway speeds -- nothing to fix, it just wasn't installed super-perfectly. I remain on the fence about getting the pano on the Model S; its (potentially beneficial) impact on rear-seat headroom could be the deciding factor, as my 15-year-old son is already 6'3" and shows little sign of stopping his upward trajectory.

I'd have to go back pre 1985 (Chrysler LeBaron GTS) to think of the last car I had without a sunroof...none ever leaked, had wind noise or were ever broken...guess it could happen, but I'm not at all worried about it with TM...way too much riding on the success of the S...