Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Big difference between US and China build quality?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Apologies if this is already covered, although couldn't find much.

I'm considering a used 2021/22 Model 3 possibly instead of the new one on order for various reasons. If i'm not mistaken, both 21 and 22 seem to get all the best facelift stuff - de-chrome, double glazing, heat pump, power trunk, etc, while the differences between 21 and 22 are relatively minor and not always an upgrade in the 22, so I think I can live with either.

But now I'm discovering looking at VINs in inventory/private ads that I'm also choosing between US and Chinese built cars. In UK it seems only very early 21s are still US, so most are China, so wouldn't be a big deal there, but over here many/most 21s are still US-built so would narrow my search considerably if they are to be avoided.

I see a general consensus here that China builds them a bit better. But is that really true? Is it a big difference? Any reason to avoid US altogether and narrow my search? Anyone with experience of both?

Cheers

This was heavily discussed in early 2021 and there are various threads about it.

Essentially, consensus is China built cars are noticeably better built. This has also been confirmed by SC staff.

Thanks. Don't suppose you remember any particular threads you could dig up easily? I browsed several pages of search results and tried various formulations of title for this new thread before posting to see what the auto-has-this-been-discussed-before feature came up with, but nothing jumped out!

I had a Dec. 2021 (US built) M3 LR company car and have recently taken delivery of a privately bought 2022 (Chinese built) M3LR - the Chinese car (absent USS's aside) is noticeably better built - paint, panel gaps, feels more 'solid' and quiter at speed on the motorway.

Do you mean a Dec. 2020 built '21 model? Just because browsing UK used inventory VINs it seemed most, maybe even all, 2021 built cars for UK were from China. While in Norway ads I don't see Chinese VINs showing up till Sept. 21 so far. Either way, thanks for the feedback. Seems I should err on the side of getting a 2022 which really limits the choices, but might be worth it if US 2021s are sheds! Of course if I do go for a used car I will go and see them, so I can see for myself. Also, I guess while we can judge on things like panel gap, paint finish and rattles and squeaks, it's maybe too early to know if anything more sinister awaits in the long term, like US cars turning to rust far quicker, for example.

Thanks. Don't suppose you remember any particular threads you could dig up easily? I browsed several pages of search results and tried various formulations of title for this new thread before posting to see what the auto-has-this-been-discussed-before feature came up with, but nothing jumped out!
Here’s the main one I remember…
It’s a long old thread, but for assistance the first deliveries of MiC models were at the start of March 2021.

Reactions: LiamPope
Do you mean a Dec. 2020 built '21 model? Just because browsing UK used inventory VINs it seemed most, maybe even all, 2021 built cars for UK were from China. While in Norway ads I don't see Chinese VINs showing up till Sept. 21 so far. Either way, thanks for the feedback. Seems I should err on the side of getting a 2022 which really limits the choices, but might be worth it if US 2021s are sheds! Of course if I do go for a used car I will go and see them, so I can see for myself. Also, I guess while we can judge on things like panel gap, paint finish and rattles and squeaks, it's maybe too early to know if anything more sinister awaits in the long term, like US cars turning to rust far quicker, for example.
I have had both (2019M3, 2022MY). Like everyone else says, the MiC cars are noticeably better built and with much better paint quality (most of the time). Unless there is a significant price difference I would hold out for a MiC car if I were you. I imagine the soft US paint really suffers in your winters with all the salt as well.
Having said that My US car had no build related failures in 3 years...

There is a definite marked improvement from my Fremont 2019 M3P to my MiC MYP - That's not to say the Fremont ones didn't get better over time, I'm sure a Richard Symons video showed there wasn't much in it.

Nothing wrong with my M3P at all, but the MYP is definitely a step up when it comes to build quality, even down to a more satisfying door closing noise :)

I think it's fairer to say that the build quality is more variable with he US ones. Mine had better panel gaps than the showroom models I saw at delivery, but did have some paint defects. Oh and my wipers have always worked well :)

Reactions: Durzel
Build quality certainly more variable on Fremont M3s. Chrome trim misalignment used to be a regular complaint, now never heard of.

I test drove a 2022 MIC M3P recently and the door closing felt more solid than my 2020 MIA M3P. I don't know what I could put that down to, though. It could be that there is padding on the inside of the door cards that mine doesn't have. It didn't feel dramatically different to mine in other areas though, and wind noise was still there at reasonable speeds, etc.

To be honest though you're not likely to get particularly objective viewpoints all round.

Build quality certainly more variable on Fremont M3s.
Yes, that was always the issue rather than universally poorer. There are some China built cars that people have issues with but they seem to be a smaller proportion. My own Fremont car retains a very good paint finish (MSM) and generally appears to be well put together... thankfully rattle free on all but the roughest of surfaces!

I had a 2020 Freemont M3P that was so badly built i had no choice but to get rid of it last year for a Chinese built MYLR which i didnt want. In fairness i took advantage of the very high trade in offer by Tesla so i lost very little but regardless loved my M3P but the diabolic American build quality forced my hand

Reactions: usrbin
There wasn't a huge difference in quality between my 2020 USA Model 3LR & Q4 2022 MIC Model YLR collected last month.

I was told that Fremont had two parallel production lines, originally tent based & followed up with a dedicated building. It looks like the April 2020 Model 3 was manufactured by the latter as the only fault was a small blob of dust under the passenger wing mirror clear coat (replaced promptly on a Ranger visit). Panel gaps etc were excellent & paint overall pretty good even after 32 months when it was sold.

On the other hand my next door neighbour received a late 2020 refresh USA Model 3P and when I checked it over for him it had 26 quality issues, some very noticeable. We surmised that this one must have been made on the other line but fortunately someone rear ended that car six months later and it was written off. The MIC replacement was & still is perfect, as is my MIC Model Y. As far as I can see, paint quality has progressed to excellent.

So Fremont cars could be something of a lottery whereas most MIC cars are consistently good.

Last edited:
Thanks a lot, folks!

Seems like we got US cars about 6 months longer over here, so I'll have to test my Norwegian on some local forums and see if maybe the late ones were better. Or just hold out for a 2022. Although not ready to make a decision yet on new vs used, there's a 2022 available locally here - LR AWD, only 20000 km, looks completely mint inside and outside, and it's £2k less than I'm about to pay for my new RWD. Hmmmm. Downside it's white, which to be honest is perfectly OK and will match the S-Max, but we wanted red!

I'm just thinking why on earth would I not put my money on that?! I mean I like new car smell, but that much? Ughh I was really intending to do the brand new car thing, but seems my brain isn't wired up that way! We shall see.

Well that happened quick!

Just bought a 2022, made in China, 21000 km LR dual motor, completely spotless inside and out, all for about £1000 less than the new RWD was about to cost me. Very happy. Even the wipers seemed to work as expected on the test drive :).

20230108_134506.jpg

698_1380327018.jpg

698_895900822.jpg

Shame it's not red (or blue), but at least I have a coordinated fleet now!

20230108_143229.jpg